Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retrofit online services/AHA app?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 03:43 PM
TestnDoc
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Retrofit online services/AHA app?

Is it possible to add online services/AHA app to a 2013 991? Seems like a simple software/firmware upgrade, but my dealer said he didnt think so. Anyone know?
Old 02-07-2013, 12:19 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 448 Likes on 198 Posts

I asked a few months ago Porsche NA said that it is not available. They did not rule it out however.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:58 AM
trysixty
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

does not make sense how a $210 addition can be impossible to add to a
120k+ car.

i really believe porsche is trying to impose a "drive the car stupid, forget the internet"................just like the lame duck coffee cups.

this isnt all bad though, it does require much more attention to operating this vehicle and much more attention to all the crazy drivers in their beatup cars IMO.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:40 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TestnDoc
Is it possible to add online services/AHA app to a 2013 991? Seems like a simple software/firmware upgrade, but my dealer said he didnt think so. Anyone know?
This is an interesting question. (At least, if you're an old geek with very few chances to watch paint dry these days.)

I have read the description from Porsche's side:
Online services can only be used in conjunction with the standard-fitted universal audio interface (iPhone) or the optional mobile phone preparation or telephone module (Android phones). The AHA Radio app can be obtained from iTunes and the Android Marketplace.
I also read the description from AHA:
• Connect to compatible in-dash systems* and control Aha directly from your car stereo.
Choose from a virtually endless set of options, and let Aha manage the content for you in the cloud. Aha remembers where you left off, and can pick right back up the next time, even if you are bouncing between multiple episodes of the same podcast.
* Compatible with Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH, AVIC-X940BT, and Kenwood DNX9990HD. Connect your Android or iOS device and control Aha like it's built in to your car stereo! Additional compatible aftermarket and factory car stereos will begin rolling out in 2012.
They say lots more of course, but that's the part that looked relevant.

The compatibility to specific in-dash systems may be related to a protocol for exchanging operation commands via Bluetooth, but the combination of both descriptions suggests you need certain inter-operation between phone and PCM to get the feed at all.

What puzzles me is I had the impression the Univeral Audio Interface already would allow me to route the audio feed from music on my phone to the car's stereo amplifier via Bluetooth. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe I have to have the phone plugged into the AUX input.

The difference between Bluetooth and cable connection is a separate topic. For the sake of discussion, let's assume we are using Bluetooth. Now what is the "on-line services" option. I have to agree that my impression is that it's solely software, with no additional hardware included. Since the price is stated at $210 by someone here, that is consistent. So let's consider what is being provided.

Lots of fellow geeks here, so if any of you are following the thread, check me on this intuition. I infer the existence of a separate version of the PCM software that provides supplemental screens for the different modes of interaction with the AHA application running on the smartphone. The phone provides the network connection and routes the audio data to the PCM, but the use of that application without looking away from the road would require it be integrated into the command interface of the PCM. This AHA isn't a single-channel operation which could be blended easily like the USB sticks, so it needs special screens of its own and changes to other screens.

None of that is difficult of course. If it were difficult, it wouldn't sell for so little. But it does sound like it is implemented with a completely separate 'build' [geek talk not worth explaining] of the PCM software. For the non-geeks, that means it isn't a separate piece of software like the apps you download to your phone. It is the entire software package of the PCM unit, but in a subtly different flavor than the one you get when you don't specify the $210 option. Extra command screens and so forth.

I see no practical objection to a dealer installing new PCM software. They do that regularly when campaigns involve maintenance versions of the software. What I do see is a lack of preparation for doing that. $210 isn't much, but it does reflect the amount of work that went into creating that separate software build. Marketing decides whether an item should be wrapped into the vehicle MSRP or charged separately as an option. Accountants decide how much that charge will be. The geeks just get the fall-out. A decision to make it a factory-only option is the lowest cost for a software feature. It avoids the small but billable extra effort to set up field installation kits, VIN coding to package the change as a 'shippable' item to dealer inventory, ad nauseum. Separately cheap details that probably roll up to another $100k to $250k spread round the organization.

That's the only obstacle I see to buying this feature through your dealer. It wasn't set up that way. It's like buying third gear. (Hell, maybe you can do that, but work with me.) If the factory only packages the gear set, or even entire transmissions, then you can't buy a new gear from your dealer. You buy them all or nothing.

I think that's the situation with AHA. If your car's PCM software was built with it included, then you have it. If you don't, then you never will. Unless they change that decision after seeing strong demand. They did change their mind about the Sport Chrono software for 997 cars, so they are willing to reconsider these marketing choices.

Gary
Old 02-08-2013, 10:31 PM
cksuen
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a video of how the integration works in case anyone is curious.

lawrence
Old 02-16-2013, 08:30 PM
DELREYCUSTOMS
Former Vendor

from porsche:

The free AHA Radio app enables you to listen to internet radio, news feeds, podcasts and audiobooks on the PCM via your smartphone. You can also receive local information, e.g. weather reports, in the form of voice announcements. Points of Interest can be searched for and then transferred to the navigation system as destinations. Internet content is received via your smartphone but you operate everything from the PCM. Online services can only be used in conjunction with the standard-fitted universal audio interface (iPhone) or the optional mobile phone preparation or telephone module (Android phones). The AHA Radio app can be obtained from iTunes and the Android Marketplace.**

* Available from November 2012 at the earliest. ** In order to use AHA Radio services with the optional telephone module, the HFP function must be activated in PCM. Bluetooth must be equipped.

So all you need if its not work is to have the dealership turn on the feature on the PCM through the onboard computer with their scan tool. Talk to the sales manager at your local dealership and they should be more than happy to do this as a courtesy. If not contact Porsche North America and they will work with your local dealership and assist you.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:11 PM
trysixty
Racer

* Available from November 2012 at the earliest. ** In order to use AHA Radio services with the optional telephone module, the HFP function must be activated in PCM. Bluetooth must be equipped.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

doesnt work in my car without opt phone mod/sim card, and dealer says never will??

Last edited by trysixty; 02-17-2013 at 07:59 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:23 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

You don't need the hfs in North America for online services as all North American PCMs has bluetooth and phone capabilities
Old 02-17-2013, 10:10 AM
trysixty
Racer

Originally Posted by DELREYCUSTOMS
from porsche:

The free AHA Radio app enables you to listen to internet radio, news feeds, podcasts and audiobooks on the PCM via your smartphone. You can also receive local information, e.g. weather reports, in the form of voice announcements. Points of Interest can be searched for and then transferred to the navigation system as destinations. Internet content is received via your smartphone but you operate everything from the PCM. Online services can only be used in conjunction with the standard-fitted universal audio interface (iPhone) or the optional mobile phone preparation or telephone module (Android phones). The AHA Radio app can be obtained from iTunes and the Android Marketplace.**

So all you need if its not work is to have the dealership turn on the feature on the PCM through the onboard computer with their scan tool. Talk to the sales manager at your local dealership and they should be more than happy to do this as a courtesy. If not contact Porsche North America and they will work with your local dealership and assist you.
do we need optional phone/sim card to get the aHa iphone app to display on the PCM? i can get it to bluetooth the aHa but all controls have to be done using the iphone 5 in my car. i cant drive and fool around with the iphone for some third rate app thanks for your help
Old 02-17-2013, 10:24 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

No. But you have to have the online services software installed in the PCM
Old 02-17-2013, 01:25 PM
TestnDoc
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

My dealer, a large one in Atlanta, said that it can't be done unless the car was ordered with the aha Online services option. That doesn't sound right to me, seems like it is a simple firmware/software download. I would be willing to pay to have it added.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:56 PM
LotF
Advanced

There is likely a hardware chip, hardware asic change, or new firmware in the radio to provide access to aha radio content. The programming interface would be a COTS serial interface with no connection to the outside world, other than at the factory. The $210 is a license fee much like HD radio is. The aha leadership includes a bunch of ex XM radio people.

The only way to get the service if it is not installed, is to swap your radio with one that has it installed. This may or may not work depending on how tight the integration is with PCM.

Harman, which owns aha radio, says it plans to offer upgrades to OEM car radios to access aha radio. So it may be provided with an add on like XMSirius in the future.

http://satelliteradioplayground.com/...adio-upgrades/
Old 02-17-2013, 07:46 PM
trysixty
Racer

Originally Posted by rnl
No. But you have to have the online services software installed in the PCM
online services can NOT be installed if you didnt order it according to dealer
Old 02-17-2013, 08:38 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by trysixty
Sorry wasn't clear. You are correct. Factory install only so far
Old 02-17-2013, 08:40 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by trysixty
Sorry wasn't clear. You are correct. Factory install only so far.

It's not a real big deal. My iphone Bluetooth syncs and I hear what I want to hear. As far more video input I'm happy the way it is

Quick Reply: Retrofit online services/AHA app?