Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is the ducktail worth 6K? (and my wife's temporary displeasure)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 01:30 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 422 Likes on 250 Posts

doesn t help the fuel for sure, aerodynamic would improve if you drive
on track, in most cases is just aestethic and 6k is not a true price for the ducktail
Old 02-07-2013, 03:18 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Alstoy
Does this help the aerodynamics of the car?
Based on my experience at the track with putting ducktail on a 74 911, i would guess that compared to no spoiler, the main beneficial effect would be to reduce lift (at the rear), lower the drag and maybe create a little downforce- (but that is the actual purpose of the inverted wing on the other option) above typical highway speeds. The factory literature back then claimed effects above 75 on lift (improving stability) and increased gas mileage. I can vouch for increased stability, especially in high speed sweeping turns (90 mph). The flat larger wing (whaletail) on my 78SC did all that a lot better.

Would it help a 991? That would depend on it working better than the existing deploying spoiler, which at least looks functionally effective. The differential effects would depend on how much air is displaced and the eventual location of the separation turbulence.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:53 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 422 Likes on 250 Posts
Smile

increased gas mileage.?????
Old 02-07-2013, 06:48 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When it comes to spending silly money on Porsches and things Porsche, I take a back seat to no man. This alone is adequate reason to ignore my opinion. Porsche is well known for having a wonderful and expensive base car that can be improved by high margin options that are very tempting. The base 991 with zero options may be the finest sports car/touring car on the planet. The S is better, and the many options make it even better, but we must know we are just gilding a lilly. I'm guessing that most of us know that we are fortunate to have any Porsche, let alone a new 991 that we are custom ordering. So the ducktail is really, really expensive at $6,000, or even $1,000 IMO, but I learned one thing in marriage counseling. To ask yourself "How important is it?" That applies to both the spoiler and your relationship with your wife. Sorry to be be so cerebral, but there it is. Good place to find yourself, nonetheless.....Chris
Old 02-07-2013, 06:59 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by fxz
increased gas mileage.?????
The faster you go the more power it takes to overcome the air. You can't change the frontal area or lower the rolling resistance on the fly, but you can change the gears to lower the revs, and with a spoiler, lower the coefficient of drag - and the power needed to push the car through the air. Use less power, use less fuel. Your mileage may vary beyond safe and reasonable speeds for other reasons, but such speeds would rarely be obtained by anyone here in normal driving.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:59 PM
trysixty
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gulrey
I would pass.

1) I thought it was only $5,000 and included the Sport Design Front Fascia

2) I would like to simply say that $6,000 for just the Ducktail is just way too much. But really the whole car is priced to take advantage of the buyers emotions rather than appealing to those who want value.

3) Apparently your wife doesn't agree that you can afford it if she is objecting on financial grounds. That could be a problem.
$5500 including all install,paint,tax.........package is rear ducktail and front fascia
Old 02-09-2013, 05:00 PM
Mechanic
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Ducktail? You betcha! https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7207...light=ducktail
Old 02-10-2013, 02:32 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Really, you do this?
This ^^^

It never crosses my mind to put the rear spoiler up/down. And when it's up, I can't even see it (and don't care). Isn't the duck tail lighter? I think it is, which would be the most important factor to me. Always nice to lose a few pounds. As for the comment about it looking silly, it doesn't look any sillier than when the standard rear spoiler is up. But I don't see how it is worth an extra 6k....but to each his own.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:09 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Must have ...

Originally Posted by Mechanic
Old 02-10-2013, 04:57 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
Must have ...

looks awesome imo
Old 02-10-2013, 10:30 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by solomonschris
When it comes to spending silly money on Porsches and things Porsche, I take a back seat to no man. This alone is adequate reason to ignore my opinion. Porsche is well known for having a wonderful and expensive base car that can be improved by high margin options that are very tempting. The base 991 with zero options may be the finest sports car/touring car on the planet. The S is better, and the many options make it even better, but we must know we are just gilding a lilly. I'm guessing that most of us know that we are fortunate to have any Porsche, let alone a new 991 that we are custom ordering. So the ducktail is really, really expensive at $6,000, or even $1,000 IMO, but I learned one thing in marriage counseling. To ask yourself "How important is it?" That applies to both the spoiler and your relationship with your wife. Sorry to be be so cerebral, but there it is. Good place to find yourself, nonetheless.....Chris

Agree Porsche is a great car with tons of positives. Also agree they make a lot of money on huge margins for options - emotional sales. The Porsche name I guess is a license to overcharge ridiculously on some items. But Porsche is not alone in this arena - add Lamborgini, Mercedes, Bentley, etc. Granted, you are paying for quality and exclusivity, but sometimes you gotta ask -- really? Take a look this, which I saw recently -- $80 for a Porsche umbrella. It is not even a big umbrella - its the small version. Really ??? Oh, almost forgot - you gotta pay for shipping too . . .

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product//POUMBRELLA.html
Old 02-10-2013, 12:46 PM
meine911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks nice. Just worry about excessive duck abuse.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:17 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Agree Porsche is a great car with tons of positives. Also agree they make a lot of money on huge margins for options - emotional sales. The Porsche name I guess is a license to overcharge ridiculously on some items. But Porsche is not alone in this arena - add Lamborgini, Mercedes, Bentley, etc. Granted, you are paying for quality and exclusivity, but sometimes you gotta ask -- really? Take a look this, which I saw recently -- $80 for a Porsche umbrella. It is not even a big umbrella - its the small version. Really ??? Oh, almost forgot - you gotta pay for shipping too . . .
This being a Porsche umbrella, it costs more because it uses less materiel and weighs less. Next year they will have a larger more substantial one that won't deploy as fast when the button is pushed, until the Turbo model is offered.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:21 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$80 for a Porsche umbrella is a bargain. When I got my Bentley I got a really nice, and large, umbrella. When I sold the car after less than a year, I forgot to include the umbrella. Now I have really cool Bentley umbrella that only cost me about $30,000. I'm not that proud of it!
The following users liked this post:
AmarilloMike (05-07-2020)
Old 02-10-2013, 06:51 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by solomonschris
$80 for a Porsche umbrella is a bargain. When I got my Bentley I got a really nice, and large, umbrella. When I sold the car after less than a year, I forgot to include the umbrella. Now I have really cool Bentley umbrella that only cost me about $30,000. I'm not that proud of it!
That one made my day.

Quick Reply: is the ducktail worth 6K? (and my wife's temporary displeasure)