Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is the ducktail worth 6K? (and my wife's temporary displeasure)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 09:11 AM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default is the ducktail worth 6K? (and my wife's temporary displeasure)

So - I have allocated funds for the ducktail. But the wife is not happy about it. Although we can afford it, that money could do other things, and she likes the car just the way it is already. That pretty much ends the discussion doesn't it? But let me complicate matters just a bit.

I finally got the price down to just $800 (+tax) installed, over what it would have cost me at the factory on an order. And I absolutely would have ordered it. As far as aftermarket additions of OEM high-value equipment go, that's a fair price I think for adding the ducktail. I trust the people who made me that offer to do a fine job. It's my local Porsche shop and they treat me well.

But will I miss the extra button on the console and being able to switch my rear bit up and down at whim? And will the parts removed (front area regular bumper-spoiler and rear powered wing-thing) be worth anything to anyone on the parts market? Or will I have to keep them sitting in my basement forever, taking up room, "just in case" ?

So:

Is it worth upsetting the wife? (temporarily, she will absolutely get over it and be happy again, and and it's not her car anyway

Will I miss putting the rear spoiler up and down? (especially when someone is following me a bit too close) (never fails, they back off some after I play with the spoiler a bit on them) Will I miss the button on the console?

Will I say gosh, I could have done x, y or z with that $6K when I had an already perfectly good working spoiler and had to change it just for the heck of it? Or will I say OMG, I am so glad I did this and thank God for being blessed enough to able to do it.

I love the ducktail, I really do. I'm just worried it's not a smart decision to change my car when it works perfectly well already the way it is. The 6K is also half of an X51 power kit with actual gains of something I didn't have before.

These are the times I wish I had ordered my car with it installed already

OK so, of course, no one else can completely answer the quandary in my head this morning. But thanks for allowing me to share it with you all. High-class problems, and all that. Life is good. I'm probably going to go down and cancel my order this morning for the ducktail kit. I will continue to have appropriate envy for those out there with one installed, and I will accept that my car was not meant to have one and that we are blessed enough as it is. But dangit, they are sexy.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:54 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Coupe - Yes, Cab - No
Old 02-06-2013, 09:59 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,404 Likes on 2,513 Posts

THE GOLDED RULE:

Happy wife. Happy life.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:09 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

First World problems eh?
Old 02-06-2013, 10:10 AM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I dont get the whole ducktail think. I think it looks... funny.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:16 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

I put one on my '74 S along with a front spoiler lip. It made a real difference at the track (in 1976), and IMHO really improved the look. So, when I saw it on the 991 I thought "I have to have that". Then I saw a 991 with and without parked side by side, and began to appreciate how good the unadorned 991styling actually is and a what good solution the mechanical spoiler is to managing lift and drag, and how much I enjoy not just the buttons, but seeing it in action from inside the car (in my coupe- not sure about your cab). The X51 is a whole other story. Clearly a necessity.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:37 AM
peterm
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

spoiler up and down- I really try and I cannot tell when its up or down unless I see a relection in a window! At this point Im immune to knowing where it sits

Saw a PTS mexico blue in the dealer showroom with ducktail- not a big fan not sure how noticible it will be on anthracite
Old 02-06-2013, 10:39 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by Nicoli35
Will I miss putting the rear spoiler up and down? (especially when someone is following me a bit too close) (never fails, they back off some after I play with the spoiler a bit on them)
Really, you do this?
Old 02-06-2013, 10:43 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by peterm
spoiler up and down- I really try and I cannot tell when its up or down unless I see a relection in a window! At this point Im immune to knowing where it sits

Saw a PTS mexico blue in the dealer showroom with ducktail- not a big fan not sure how noticible it will be on anthracite
I can see it go up (85) and go down (50) in the rear view mirror. I have SPASM and can see ti rise another couple of inches when I pop the rear of the sunroof.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:02 AM
clembo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

If you really love the tail, buy it. We are fortunate to have the cash to pay for these toys, it is hard to justify how much these things cost, but once you're over the hurdle, let the money flow.

If you don't really love it enought to take the crap from your wife, then maybe not get it, but spend half that much on the two day Porsche driving class, and then buy her earrings with the remainder - win/win.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:09 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
I can see it go up (85) and go down (50) in the rear view mirror.
Really? 85 MPH now? I thought it was closer to 72 MPH. Is this now different with the 991 vs the 997? Thanks.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:15 AM
aelia
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My golden rule is that if my wife is not happy about something and there is no amount of persuasion to change that view, I would not perform the modification. Instead, I would take her on a weekend trip with the car and save that positive points for a time that it is really needed.

It's great to demonstrate restraint and pick your battles. The ducktail is not worth in my opinion.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:17 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by PasPar2
I dont get the whole ducktail think. I think it looks... funny.
I'm with you. I have tried to convince myself that I like it, but I don't.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:22 AM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nicoli, I don't usually like to comment on aesthetic choices, since we are each different in that respect. I will state that if the ducktail was the only way the 911 was available, I would be buying a different sports car, period. Also, I am not the one to give marital advice, but I believe that the displeasure of your wife may not necessarily be temporary, ofcourse your YMMV. Good luck with your decision.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:25 AM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

6k for a spoiler?! Hell no, pass...

get an aftermarket one and to play with and keep original in garage...

Quick Reply: is the ducktail worth 6K? (and my wife's temporary displeasure)