Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 Wheel Weights. Courtesy of Wheel Enhancement

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 11:32 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

heavy because the high standards they are built to...

obviously other wheels would be lighter but im almost positive the 991 wheels are lighter in the same size as 997.2 wheels.. i was impressed in the lightness of my 19" 991's... my 997's both had VERY heavy wheels..
Old 02-03-2013, 12:20 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know very little about this, so I will ask.. how much difference does it really make? I vaguely understand the unsprung weight concept and benefits of keeping it low.. But once you add the weight of the brakes, the wheels & the tires and suspension components that make up part of the unspring weight, does a wheel a couple of pounds lighter make that much of a difference in everyday driving or even mainstream track driving?
Old 02-03-2013, 04:05 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by rpilot
I know very little about this, so I will ask.. how much difference does it really make? I vaguely understand the unsprung weight concept and benefits of keeping it low.. But once you add the weight of the brakes, the wheels & the tires and suspension components that make up part of the unspring weight, does a wheel a couple of pounds lighter make that much of a difference in everyday driving or even mainstream track driving?
See pyramids post above. It was similar for me when changing from an aftermarket 3 piece wheel to Fuchs alloys on my 911SC. That I was able to feel anything at all on that archaic suspension when the weight difference was only a few pounds indicates to me that pyramids comments are reliable. Before this I was pretty well sold on Sport Technos, but the Carrera S wheels are the lightest as well as least expensive. So this is the first and only thread to bring out facts that might actually REDUCE the cost of my build!

I know, hard to believe....

About carbon fiber, in addition to weight, its also extremely good at damping vibrations. Very expensive but should be hands down one of the best bolt-on improvements to ride comfort and noise levels available.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:18 PM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 226 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by pyramid
I wish BBS FI made one in 20" to fit regular carreras.
I'm planning on getting 19" BBS FIs or 19" Volks as my track set up. Will produce decent reduction in rotation mass with the right tires.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:40 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

I think the theory (well verified) is as follows:
Reducing unsprung weight has multiplicative effects. The suspension at each corner has less work to do and what it does (springing, rebound and roll control) it does faster and with better control (given the same suspension components), and the tire loadings are reduced. So even at a few pounds per corner, the result is felt as a more responsive car.

The lighter the sprung weight (e.g., the rest of the car) the greater the effect. Lowering the car, typically done by those who go to the expense of reducing unsprung weight for performance, also has a huge effect - when accompanied by the proper alignment or geometry changes so handling is not made worse (often the case in extreme lowering for looks).
Old 02-05-2013, 01:51 PM
keller911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting the weights!
Old 02-17-2013, 10:21 AM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

what about tires then? What are the most popular tires that one would put on a 20 and 19? It would be funny if we went to all the trouble of reducing the wheel weight and then stuck massive tires on them.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:01 PM
Rich.
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I seem to recall someone weighing the tires. If I have a chance I will see if I can have my parts guy weigh some of the new tires we have in stock. ATM, Pirelli is the only supplier of our 20" tires. Good Years come with 19's.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:50 PM
SB
Instructor

Tire rack has weights for all tires they sell. And for most wheels too
Old 02-18-2013, 02:03 PM
SB
Instructor

Tire rack has weights for all tires they sell. And for most wheels too
Old 02-25-2013, 11:45 PM
adamsclubs
Advanced

On my 328i I custom ordered wheels and tires, reduced the weight by 10 lbs at each corner, but did not notice any significant change, my time at the autox events were still slow compared to Porsche and Vette

Still I am ordering my first Prosche with the base 19" rims, to keep the weight at minimum, also reduce the chance of pothole explosion and cracknig the rims.

Oh yeah, easier to find replacement tires with 19" for autox or track. The Continental tires have low weight.

Last edited by adamsclubs; 02-26-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:51 PM
NeoGeo07
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just want to add the wheel weight of the sports classic wheel. I took them off my 911_50 and weighed them along with tires.

Total front: 51.2 lbs. Tire (PZeros) 23 lbs, wheel+TPMS+balance weight=28.2 So front wheel is about 27 lbs.

Total rear: 59.4 lbs. Tire (PZeros) 29 lbs, wheel+TPMS+balance weight=30.4 So rear weight is about 29 lbs.

Basically very similar in weight to the sport techno wheel. And it should, consider they share the same width and offset.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:02 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by NeoGeo07
Just want to add the wheel weight of the sports classic wheel. I took them off my 911_50 and weighed them along with tires.

Total front: 51.2 lbs. Tire (PZeros) 23 lbs, wheel+TPMS+balance weight=28.2 So front wheel is about 27 lbs.

Total rear: 59.4 lbs. Tire (PZeros) 29 lbs, wheel+TPMS+balance weight=30.4 So rear weight is about 29 lbs.

Basically very similar in weight to the sport techno wheel. And it should, consider they share the same width and offset.
Fuchs lists them as 27.4F & 30.6R, so yes, very similar to
the STs. But your Fuchs are forged wheels (better) while all other Porsche wheels (minus
TT Sport Classics which are an all gloss black Fuchs) are cast.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:33 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Anybody have weights on the CLs from Turbo, GT3 and GTS? I think Turbo and GTS are the same wheel, different finish, and GT3 is different.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:34 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd like to know that too. Heard the CLs are lighter but no idea as to by how much. They also have less rotating weight due to the single lug.

An instructor explained unsprung mass to me like this: imagine you had to go for a brisk walk carring a 20kg backpack. It would be harder work, but pretty bearable. Now imagine you took the backpack off, but your shoes each weighed 10kg. The walk would be much harder.

It may have been because he'd just explained it to me that way, but when I drove cars with and without PCCB back to back, the car that had them felt like it was wearing lightweight running shoes. Could be felt just driving out of the lot.

Would love mass info for those CL wheels. Cheers!

Quick Reply: 991 Wheel Weights. Courtesy of Wheel Enhancement