Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fabspeed x pipe race exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 08:34 PM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a small correction, that graph posted above is a 991 with our X-pipe & Maxflo Mufflers, NOT just side mufflers.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:27 PM
DBYT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the correction Chris. I missed it on your site.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:35 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

man thats awesome, thanks a lot for the vids and everything - love how you kept the PSE functionality intact.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:53 PM
DBYT
Pro

Originally Posted by Nicoli35
man thats awesome, thanks a lot for the vids and everything - love how you kept the PSE functionality intact.
Nicoli,
After spending the $ on the PSE, I was loathe to just rip it out for something else. The Maxflos and the intake seem to have given me what I was after. The car sounds better in normal mode and overall, in sport and normal and sport plus, the car revs freer and pulls stronger in the low and mid range.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:48 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DBYT
Nicoli,
After spending the $ on the PSE, I was loathe to just rip it out for something else.
That is my feeling exactly - I like the 991 PSE.. but sometimes wish for a bit more. Your solution is excellent!

I had a Fabspeed put on a 997 without PSE and was very satisfied with the product and results but didn't know there was an option like this for our 991. Just awesome!
Old 01-31-2013, 11:58 PM
DBYT
Pro

Nicoli,
We are on the same wavelength! i love the PSE but wanted a little more from the exhaust as well as a little more pep in the lower to mid rev range.

I would not have found any of this out if I had not just driven down to Fabspeed to have a chat to them about what options I have if I wanted just a bit more out of my PSE. What they proposed worked out really well.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:02 PM
DBYT
Pro

Here is a clip I did today with the GoPro positioned close to the exhaust to give you an idea of how the car sounds.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:16 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

So, Chris at Fabspeed, if I'm interpreting the information on your website correctly, you claim a horsepower gain with both the Xpipe and side mufflers installed. I don't see anything about a gain with only the side mufflers, yet DBYT claims a gain. Can you explain what the relative gains, if any are, just using one part of your products at a time?
Old 02-01-2013, 12:19 PM
DBYT
Pro

I should have got them to dyno the car before and after.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:40 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DBYT
I should have got them to dyno the car before and after.
Interesting thread.

Odd they didn't provide a dyno chart to show you the gains (if any) from their own testing given they have managed to do so for their Xpipe. Generally speaking, a vendor only bothers to have something to produce to show customers if they have achieved a tangible gain they can prove. You are correct in your thinking that you should have had a before and after dyno sheet and, preferably using your own car.
That way you know the claims are kosher.

I found on my last C2S that the tubi side mufflers produced a better throttle response but power tapered off slightly from the midrange to redline and the upper range didn't feel as crisp or lively as prior too. There is usually a compromise somewhere. I'd be surprised if it was any different with your muffler arrangement because essentially it is only the side mufflers that have been dealt with as was the case with the tubi system i speak of.

And the "cold air" intake. Does it have a refrigerator to cool the air, or is "cold air intake" just refer to a deceptive marketing term. I don't suppose you were given any dyno figures on that as a separate unit?

There is so much info out there on these BMC filter arrangements which doesn't bode well for the money spent. Did you know that Sharkwerks did a dyno test on a GT3 with and without a BMC and found absolutely zero gain? Why would it be any different here?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but the worse thing about this intake arrangement is that it is ingesting not only hotter air directly from all around the engine compartment but worse still air that is infinitely more contaminated with airborne dust particles in comparison to the stock filter unit which is fed cleaner cooler ambient air through the engine lid vents.

Maybe you are not aware that the car's under trays stop just before the engine gearbox unit to aid natural ventilation to the engine compartment? This air is far from clean unlike the airstream passing over the top of the car.

Compromised air filtration set ups like this are "safer" when placed at the very front of the car, NOT at the very rear because the rear is the main turbulence area where all the trailing dust follows and whips up underneath the car from the car piercing through the air. Particulate contamination is very damaging to an engine. One need only examine the aerodynamic air flow over this car to see the problem you are being faced with. Once the airstream passes over the car there is a vacuum which keeps the dustball trailing the car, particularly the underside of the rear. This is why Porsche designed the stock filtration system so it breathes only air through the engine lid venting as it is the cleanest air and coolest air path, and on the upper side. Your new set up is a an absolute disaster for your engine in terms of not only hotter air feed but unrelenting contaminated air flow to a compromised air filtration system (comparing it to Porsches stock paper filtration). I sure hope you kept your stock filtration system....

Last edited by speed21; 02-04-2013 at 07:07 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:28 AM
DBYT
Pro

Thanks for the info Speed21. Very educational. I did keep the original equipment.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:58 AM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

I'm planning the same thing Darren did - I think it's awesome! Thanks again for posting your experience. I'm a little embarrassed to say I had my shop guy call Fabspeed and ask how we can do it too (without me driving to PA)

Love your posts Darren thanks brother you helped me a lot and I'm sure others too
Old 02-04-2013, 02:00 PM
DBYT
Pro

Originally Posted by speed21
Interesting thread.

Odd they didn't provide a dyno chart to show you the gains (if any) from their own testing given they have managed to do so for their Xpipe. Generally speaking, a vendor only bothers to have something to produce to show customers if they have achieved a tangible gain they can prove. You are correct in your thinking that you should have had a before and after dyno sheet and, preferably using your own car.
That way you know the claims are kosher.

I found on my last C2S that the tubi side mufflers produced a better throttle response but power tapered off slightly from the midrange to redline and the upper range didn't feel as crisp or lively as prior too. There is usually a compromise somewhere. I'd be surprised if it was any different with your muffler arrangement because essentially it is only the side mufflers that have been dealt with as was the case with the tubi system i speak of.

And the "cold air" intake. Does it have a refrigerator to cool the air, or is "cold air intake" just refer to a deceptive marketing term. I don't suppose you were given any dyno figures on that as a separate unit?

There is so much info out there on these BMC filter arrangements which doesn't bode well for the money spent. Did you know that Sharkwerks did a dyno test on a GT3 with and without a BMC and found absolutely zero gain? Why would it be any different here?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but the worse thing about this intake arrangement is that it is ingesting not only hotter air directly from all around the engine compartment but worse still air that is infinitely more contaminated with airborne dust particles in comparison to the stock filter unit which is fed cleaner cooler ambient air through the engine lid vents.

Maybe you are not aware that the car's under trays stop just before the engine gearbox unit to aid natural ventilation to the engine compartment? This air is far from clean unlike the airstream passing over the top of the car.

Compromised air filtration set ups like this are "safer" when placed at the very front of the car, NOT at the very rear because the rear is the main turbulence area where all the trailing dust follows and whips up underneath the car from the car piercing through the air. Particulate contamination is very damaging to an engine. One need only examine the aerodynamic air flow over this car to see the problem you are being faced with. Once the airstream passes over the car there is a vacuum which keeps the dustball trailing the car, particularly the underside of the rear. This is why Porsche designed the stock filtration system so it breathes only air through the engine lid venting as it is the cleanest air and coolest air path, and on the upper side. Your new set up is a an absolute disaster for your engine in terms of not only hotter air feed but unrelenting contaminated air flow to a compromised air filtration system (comparing it to Porsches stock paper filtration). I sure hope you kept your stock filtration system....
Speed21,
Thanks for your post, which was very timely. The car threw up a CEL over the weekend and I had it in at the dealer this morning to diagnose the issue. They took the bumper off and said right away that the intake was the issue. Long story short, Fabspeed are stepping up and reinstalling the factory air intake tomorrow.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:13 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

We are ordering the side mufflers with the X51 black chrome tips from Fabspeed today. Thanks for the info and your field-testing!
Old 02-04-2013, 03:49 PM
Bigfra
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

Ok, so apart from it sounding better does the side mufflers actually help with power or do you need the full system thus doing away with the pse ??

Quick Reply: Fabspeed x pipe race exhaust?