Sponsored by:

Fabspeed x pipe race exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 02:09 AM
DBYT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fabspeed x pipe race exhaust?

I have been eyeing this system up and had questions for anyone who has installed this system. How does it affect the factory PSE? Does PSE still work if this is installed, ie with this system, does the exhaust note stay the same in normal versus Sport and Sport Plus?

Also, how noticeable is the power gain?

Here's a video of the system. It sounds amazing!

Thanks!

Last edited by DBYT; 01-30-2013 at 02:24 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:58 PM
jlamb
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are from PA. I was actually thinking of going there in person to see and hear it for myself. I'd really like to hear from people that actually have it installed. Videos are great but I'm not comfortable pulling the trigger on a new exhaust from a video.

If anyone has been to Fabspeed please offer up your thoughts and experience
Old 01-30-2013, 02:11 PM
DBYT
Pro

I was down at Fabspeed today and they are installing their maxflo mufflers on my 991S with PSE tomorrow morning. Will post thoughts afterwards.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:19 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 439 Likes on 263 Posts

Will you be still able to open/close the valve ? How is the mid-low end torque in compare?
Old 01-30-2013, 02:30 PM
DBYT
Pro

With just the maxflo mufflers, the PSE operation is not affected at all. All they are doing is replacing the factory side mufflers with side mufflers with less baffling. They said they would do a video of before and after.

Last edited by DBYT; 01-31-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:33 AM
mikegee
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

darren..please post those clips when you get them.
thanks
mike
Old 01-31-2013, 10:38 AM
DBYT
Pro

Am at Fabspeed right now waiting for install to be completed. Here is a BEFORE video of my 991S with PSE off and then on. I will post AFTER video once install is completed in a couple of hours.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:25 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero

Great , waiting for your impressions
Old 01-31-2013, 11:37 AM
DBYT
Pro

I am pacing the Fabspeed waiting lounge like an expectant father! Just got a preview listen and the exhaust note is more aggressive in normal mode and even more menacing in sport plus. Can't wait to drive it now!
Old 01-31-2013, 01:45 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

totally awesome
Old 01-31-2013, 03:42 PM
DBYT
Pro

OK guys! WOW WOW WOW!!!!!! I had 2 things done today. I went in for just the Maxflo muffler install but ended up getting the cold air intake as well after talking to them at length about their product and them showing me what they had done with other cars etc. Sorry Sid! They sold me on the intake versus the BMC filters.

I took the car on a spirited drive on the highway and various backroads. I even dropped in on my Porsche dealer and handed him the keys and we went off for a spin. He is the local autoX chair for the PCA so is pretty experienced. He was blown away by the new exhaust note and the added mid range and upper range power. He drove it in a VERY spirited manner...best not to say any more.

My impressions: the car revs more freely and is stronger pulling below 4,000 and above 4,000 RPM. In the 40 miles I have driven so far, I am very happy with the little added performance. In normal mode, the sound is 15% - 20% louder, with a deeper, throatier note. In Sport Plus mode, WOW!! About 20% louder and noticeably more menacing note. Much more pops and burbles.

Video below does not do it justice as the wind picked up significantly from the morning when I shot the BEFORE clip and the clip does not capture the difference as much as in person.

Here is the AFTER clip:

For those wanting a little more oomph from their PSE and a little more pep from the car, I would highly recommend this inexpensive mod. It certainly got me exactly what I was looking for in terms of sound and performance.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:43 PM
fxz
Race Car

Smile

Hi Darren thanks for sharing,
did they change just the side mufflers?
how many hours did it take?
Old 01-31-2013, 04:48 PM
DBYT
Pro

For just the side mufflers install it would have taken them 1.5hrs. I had them install the competition air intake as well which required removal of the bumper. That took another 1.5 hrs.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:09 PM
fxz
Race Car

so they didn t change the x-pipe to keep the pse valves if i am right,
it should be +20% torque with side mufflers and the intake @4k rpm , that s
a great gain for this engine poor at mid low range
Old 01-31-2013, 06:33 PM
DBYT
Pro

Originally Posted by fxz
so they didn t change the x-pipe to keep the pse valves if i am right,
it should be +20% torque with side mufflers and the intake @4k rpm , that s
a great gain for this engine poor at mid low range
Correct, they left the central x-pipe to keep the PSE intact at my request.

I found that the low to mid range rpms in the 991 needed a bit more "get up and go". So far, this little mod seems to have achieved what I wanted. The change after the install is that the car now seems to pull stronger from low to mid range rpms and also seems to rev a little freer.

To provide an analogy, it feels like the car had a wee bit of a stuffy nose before and now the exhaust and air intake mod has cleared the sinus cavity. The car seems to breathe easier. Does that make sense?

In terms of numbers, here is a dyno chart for just the side muffler mod:

Quick Reply: Fabspeed x pipe race exhaust?