Sponsored by:

Reviews on X51

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 03:40 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 165 Posts
Default Reviews on X51

I'm still waiting to hear reviews from owners/car mags on the driving thrills with this package. Big bucks I know, but must be a heck of a ride. I wonder if P is at all nervous about the competition...
Jim
Old 01-26-2013, 04:46 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At nearly $600 per hp I'd wait for the GT3 or Turbo.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:18 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
I'm still waiting to hear reviews from owners/car mags on the driving thrills with this package. Big bucks I know, but must be a heck of a ride. I wonder if P is at all nervous about the competition...
Jim
There are owner comments around to the effect that the improvements in low to midrange power, smoother power curve, and pulling hard right to redline make it worth the money. Probably no surprise that the most emphatic of these was from a guy whose collection of German speedware clearly indicates the number of numbers on the bottom line are mere trifles. Even so, the guys able to feel that way usually didn't get there by throwing their money around. So look around. It would be nice to read something more comprehensive, but the comments are out there.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:24 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

The X51 is the powerkit that can be added to the Porsche 911 S for an additional 30 hp and various other tidbits. Were you talking about a different car that competes with Porsches in the marketplace?

Gary
Old 01-27-2013, 02:19 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuck911
There are owner comments around to the effect that the improvements in low to midrange power, smoother power curve, and pulling hard right to redline make it worth the money. Probably no surprise that the most emphatic of these was from a guy whose collection of German speedware clearly indicates the number of numbers on the bottom line are mere trifles. Even so, the guys able to feel that way usually didn't get there by throwing their money around. So look around. It would be nice to read something more comprehensive, but the comments are out there.
His were the first comments I read from an owner and he seemed pretty enthusiastic. His I think was PDK equipped.
J
Old 01-27-2013, 02:22 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by simsgw
The X51 is the powerkit that can be added to the Porsche 911 S for an additional 30 hp and various other tidbits. Were you talking about a different car that competes with Porsches in the marketplace?

Gary
\

Hi Gary. I was talking about the 991 w/ the X51 pckg. It seemed to me a great combination of power, chassis, small backseat and the 7 spd I want.
Jim
Old 01-27-2013, 02:49 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

\

Hi Gary. I was talking about the 991 w/ the X51 pckg. It seemed to me a great combination of power, chassis, small backseat and the 7 spd I want.
Jim
You're right. It definitely is that car.

Gary
Old 01-27-2013, 03:14 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Something else, a long time Porsche owner told me the X-51 motors, rather than being assembled along with the other 991 engines are built by the guys building the GT motors. He knew the locations, sorry I'm forgetting. Anyway, his point was that Porsche "gets it" that the guys going for this package will be tracking or otherwise using it more fully than the typical 991, and have built it with that expectation. In other words, you are getting more than just the advertised upgrades. At the time it wasn't something I was seriously considering, so didn't bother asking more questions, and now he's out of touch. Even though he was someone who had taken factory delivery twice, the kind of guy dealers call and ask to take a new Porsche out to get his driving impressions, in other words may well know and should be reliable, still its something I've been trying to confirm with another source.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:18 AM
spourreza
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the X51 package is an effective way to cleary distinguish the S from the base.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:15 AM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 225 Likes on 146 Posts

Something else, a long time Porsche owner told me the X-51 motors, rather than being assembled along with the other 991 engines are built by the guys building the GT motors. He knew the locations, sorry I'm forgetting. Anyway, his point was that Porsche "gets it" that the guys going for this package will be tracking or otherwise using it more fully than the typical 991, and have built it with that expectation. In other words, you are getting more than just the advertised upgrades. At the time it wasn't something I was seriously considering, so didn't bother asking more questions, and now he's out of touch. Even though he was someone who had taken factory delivery twice, the kind of guy dealers call and ask to take a new Porsche out to get his driving impressions, in other words may well know and should be reliable, still its something I've been trying to confirm with another source.
Thats interesting. It would be great if you could confirm.

I was thinking of getting the Akra exhaust, but at $9400 plus install, its making the X51 package look like a bargain. Initially the price is rather expensive, but when you break down the parts, its not as high as you think, especially if you would ever consider doing similar upgrades later on...would easily cost you 35-50% more because of the labour involved.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:05 AM
Bigfra
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by STALKER99
Thats interesting. It would be great if you could confirm.

I was thinking of getting the Akra exhaust, but at $9400 plus install, its making the X51 package look like a bargain. Initially the price is rather expensive, but when you break down the parts, its not as high as you think, especially if you would ever consider doing similar upgrades later on...would easily cost you 35-50% more because of the labour involved.
Totally agree, I got a price fitted from Porsche Glasgow of £9500. They tell me that the labour would be around 27 hours.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:27 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm guessing as the first X51's only starting arriving in North America in December (I think) that not many have got past break in period yet.

My current Porsche is a 996 TT Cab with many mods (approx. 575 hp) and I didn't want to wait for GT3 or Turbo (I want a Cab for the 991 also so the GT3 is out. The Turbo will cost something in the $225k+ range in Canada is my guess and the insurance about $10k per year in British Columbia!). The 991S insurance will be about $2,500. I'm keeping the Turbo as well.

My 991 S X51 Cab was built on the 18th and I should get late February/early March
Old 01-27-2013, 02:06 PM
Bigfra
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Dealer also mentioned that peak power would nt be achieved until 6500 miles.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:47 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That mileage figure actually shows up in Porsche's "Installation and Conversion" instruction bulletin for converting an S to the X51 specifications. Engine speeds not to exceed 5,000 rpm for first 310 miles and "maximum engine power of 430 hp depends on the total mileage of the engine at the time of the retrofit and is achieved from a total mileage of approx 6250" or higher.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:57 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

I think this is interesting...I'm surprised with the Porsche advertising machine that they would treat it as more than just a few bolt on parts and bundled options on the web site.
J

Quick Reply: Reviews on X51