Sponsored by:

2014 Stingray

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 05:24 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
A Car and Driver comparison a few months back between a Corvette Grand Sport and a 991S reinforces your comment. C&D found the Porsche to be fast and stable in the cold and rainy test conditions, while the Corvette was virtually undriveable. Unless this new C7 is a huge deprture from all the Corvettes that have gone before, it will be exceptional in some areas and only mediocre in others. By comparison, the 991 may not quite match it on track, but is overall a more complete and satisfying car both dynamically and quality-wise. Whether that's worth the price difference is up to each person and what they want and expect in a sports car, or any car for that matter.
Don't get me wrong- I MUCH prefer my 991 to a Vette. There really is no substitute for all around performance- and with the 991 for me real comfort. But I have the utmost respect for the Vette as a sports car value and the C7 looks to me like GM has taken it to another level.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:07 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a friend who has a Vette and lives in Maine. I asked him how it was in the snow. He said "snow...This thing can't drive through a bad weather report!"
Old 01-17-2013, 06:23 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Sorry, but that is just not so. ZR1s lap times tend to be better than any Porsche 911 - other than a Turbo S- so there is plenty of handling in there.
I note that in C&D's last "Lightning Lap" comparo, the 991S was beaten by a $37K Camaro (as was everything selling for less than $200,000.) So, it wouldn't be surprising to see a ZR1 beat a 991S as well. Power-to-weight ratio wins as usual, big surprise.

At the end of the day, someone gets to drive home in a Chevy, and someone else gets to drive home in a Porsche.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:55 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Guess we will be seeing camaros at Le Mans. Wait a minute. I think not. Image of the c6 blowing up in WV just came back.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:00 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Btw, 991S 37th. Camaro ZL1 46th. And that is with the Camaro having the power to weight ratio advantage. Say what? Huh? What? However the ZR1 was 12th in 08. Also love that head up display.
http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/nordschleife.html

Free your mind. Your *** will follow.

Respectfully,
Morphieus

PS c and d is corrupt. No compelling argument or evidence required. We all know it. Check their list of main advertisers if needed.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:10 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by holminator
Errr, too much weight in the front? That might suck the fun out of driving it for me. Just me I guess. I'm okay with that epiphany. A lighter smaller front, mid-mounted engine would have been better. Oops, I just dumped chum into the water over at the Cayman tank. lol Everybody run!

It's a front-midship design with the engine well behind the front axle centre line. Not nose heavy in the least.

Regarding the comment about the C&D test...that Vette was on Michelin Sport Cups. Try a gt3RS in the rain and come talk to me about scary.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:53 PM
spourreza
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Don't get me wrong- I MUCH prefer my 991 to a Vette. There really is no substitute for all around performance- and with the 991 for me real comfort. But I have the utmost respect for the Vette as a sports car value and the C7 looks to me like GM has taken it to another level.
I think the car is def an improvement inside and out but the only thing I can't stand is the rear of the car. Just like the new Cayman - looks good until you see the rear - FUGLY

Not one bad angle on the 991
Old 01-17-2013, 08:04 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by SharpMan
It's a front-midship design with the engine well behind the front axle centre line. Not nose heavy in the least.

Regarding the comment about the C&D test...that Vette was on Michelin Sport Cups. Try a gt3RS in the rain and come talk to me about scary.
Allow me to correct myself. I posted that it was a C&D test. Looking back and finding the test, it was actually Motor Trend. My bad.

With all due respect, now allow me to correct you. The Corvette wasn't on Michelin Sport Cups when driven in the rain for that test, it was on Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercars while the Porsche was on P Zeros. Both are full treaded tires, unlike the MPSC's, and both are rated by the Tire Rack as Max performance summer tires with wet weather (but limited cold-weather) capability . The Porsche was just much better at making use of that capability than the Corvette, to the point were it was still fun to drive in the wet while the Corvette was "downright dangerous".

Granted, the C7 is supposedly improved. We'll see if it's managed to shed all of it's negative attributes......

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._s_comparison/
Old 01-17-2013, 09:59 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

After reading through all of these posts, I have to conclude that with just a few exceptions, this is an elitist group that reinforces the sterotypes that abound about Porsche owners. It's amazing to me that so many posters have formed their conclusions about the C7 without ever having seen the car in person. In my case I will do something radical. I'll reserve my judgement until I actually get to drive the car and see it in person.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:28 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fast1
After reading through all of these posts, I have to conclude that with just a few exceptions, this is an elitist group that reinforces the sterotypes that abound about Porsche owners. It's amazing to me that so many posters have formed their conclusions about the C7 without ever having seen the car in person. In my case I will do something radical. I'll reserve my judgement until I actually get to drive the car and see it in person.
Awe, you can't say that about everyone or you would be guilt of the same **** you just accuse everyone of being. True that though: I'm elitist. All the other stereotypes are true too. Own it baby. Own it. That's my motto mah'thafukah.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:37 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
Actually, this group is mild. You should have seen some the posts when the 991 showed up. We are all left leg amputees driving numb Panamera two-doors with funky headlights that can't fit in driveways!
Old 01-17-2013, 11:04 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not against the Corvette, I just don't have any interest in it whatsoever. I hope it is successful and helps the economy and jobs in the USA, though.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:10 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Allow me to correct myself. I posted that it was a C&D test. Looking back and finding the test, it was actually Motor Trend. My bad.

With all due respect, now allow me to correct you. The Corvette wasn't on Michelin Sport Cups when driven in the rain for that test, it was on Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercars while the Porsche was on PT Zeros. Both are full treaded tires, unlike the MPSC's, and both are rated by the Tire Rack as Max performance summer tires with wet weather (but limited cold-weather) capability . The Porsche was just much better at making use of that capability than the Corvette, to the point were it was still fun to drive in the wet while the Corvette was "downright dangerous".

Granted, the C7 is supposedly improved. We'll see if it's managed to shed all of it's negative attributes......

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._s_comparison/
I guess we're talking about different stories. I remember one where the Vette was on MPSCs and they wrote about it being a handful...which you'd expect.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:13 PM
E in Phila
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
At the end of the day, someone gets to drive home in a Chevy, and someone else gets to drive home in a Porsche.
And someone who talks like this can't be saved from douchedom no matter what they drive.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:20 PM
E in Phila
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The level of insecurity on display in this thread is amazing. So many stereotypes being fulfilled, not just of Porsche owners, but of sports car drivers in general. You can get the same kind of thread in a Ferrari forum about Porsche, or in a Corvette forum about Mustangs.

Lots of people define themselves through their cars. I always find it a pathetic trait.

Quick Reply: 2014 Stingray