Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Stingray

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 11:47 AM
carsrmyvice
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Given they have similar performance ambitions and cult followings of their own corvette and 911 will always be played against one another in magazines, tv shows etc. I do believe that 911 buyers consider the corvette and vice versa, but only for a few moments the way most people watch political debates and pretend to be interested in the other party's opinion.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:49 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jmm
This is a giant step forward and yes, maybe not to everyone, but the 911 and Corvette are, and always have been, direct competitors. The general public thinks so and so does the automotive press. People that have chosen one or the other are the only ones that dismiss that rivalry.
This is a man who understands the big picture. Of course they're competitors, and of course their core audience is a bit different (and myopic.)
One big thing I'm gleaning from what I've been reading on a variety of automotive forums (this is big news) is that the C7 is trying to appeal to a younger audience. Face it, both the Corvette and 911 are seen by many as "old man cars" both in price and image. The 991 has added more gizmos to appeal to younger buyers, so now has the Corvette.
You can bet that as soon as test cars are available, all of the car mags will have comparison tests. Anyone who thinks that the 911 will walk on the Vette performance wise should brace themselves.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:15 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
I can already see Jeremy Clarkson knocking on the rear panel above the bumper for that cheap plastic feel...
6.2 L???!!! Come on! It's 2014!!! That era is gone! Did GM ever hear about efficiency?! Couldn't they have come up with like a 4.0L V8 Turbo or similar and get MORE for LESS?!
How are they going to compete with European cars when in Europe the trend is small cars,small engines and most of all DIESEL efficiency?! Even sports cars seem to be heading in the efficiency direction... That's what the guy is saying in the video : ' we need to be competitive in all markets ' How?!...I'm asking... How efficient can a 6.2L be...?!
Don't even want to start talking about looks and interior quality...
I see the same concept here...lots of HP and torque for not that much money...which works great for some...
I'd give them this : they are improving...slowly but surely!
Inside that v8 is a 4 cyl that with cyl deactivation may play with your mind for efficiency cruising in 7th. Just whenever you feel like it. Like start stop and sailing with PDK. The entire car is similar to the 991 in size and weight.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:06 PM
spourreza
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
I much prefer my 991 all around, but if you go tracking, don't bet your title on who will turn out the lights.

been there...tried it...dont like the way they feel on the track. couldnt keep them straight
Old 01-15-2013, 01:08 PM
cmb13
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jondavid
The front tries to be an Italia, the back is literally a Camero, and the side is a vamped GTR vent slapped on backwards...?

I'm a former Corvette owner who has been dying for a 991, but I must say those pictures are pretty sweet. Sorry. The interior fit and finish to me are still not as nice as a 991, and they have different driving dynamic, but for comparable options about 1/2 the price, literally. Making me think...

So imho they are competitors, by definition, as I am choosing betweent the two.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:16 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by cmb13
I'm a former Corvette owner who has been dying for a 991, but I must say those pictures are pretty sweet. Sorry. The interior fit and finish to me are still not as nice as a 991, and they have different driving dynamic, but for comparable options about 1/2 the price, literally. Making me think...

So imho they are competitors, by definition, as I am choosing betweent the two.
In the video interview the engineers explain clearly how they sought to dial in more desirable 991 feel and dynamics. I don't doubt what can be done- just compare a 991 with a 997. And I don't bet against Chevy small blocks.

That said it just ain't a Porsche. It looks like a Vette and there really is no substitute for me as an all around sports/GT car. But I would have to drive one before being dismissive.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:30 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by spourreza

been there...tried it...dont like the way they feel on the track. couldnt keep them straight
There are Vettes at local PCA DEs that run with the fastest track optimized 911s. From the sound of things the C7 is going to be as big an advance as the 991.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:48 PM
Detroit Shooter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I am rooting for the Vett, being from Michigan it is the home team. With that said I have no buyers remorse. Not sure on the styling, want to see it in person which means so far I am not feeling it.

The Vett is ~ half the price and it is not cheap. Most people will never spend 30K on a car in their life.
If you can get the same or even better performance for 1/2 the price the question may be why are Porsche's so expensive? The comparison is compelling.

Can you compare a Lamborghini with a Porsche 911 sure. One cost 2x as much, one is faster on the track, 0-60 time bla bla bla but we like to compare.

Bottom line if I could not afford a Porsche the Vett is certainly on the list. Thankfully we are blessed with the resources and don't have to make that compromise.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:01 PM
gjnockie
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my Vette story if anyone is interested. After 4 Porsche 911's I decided during a momentary lapse of insanity to purchase a 2013 "427" Collector's Edition Corvette Convertible. After 5 months of misery GM finally bought the car back from me and I came to my senses and ran back home to Porsche!

I don't care how good they say the new one is, it's no Porsche! And I might add I think it's ugly too!
Old 01-15-2013, 03:41 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The new Vette is an improvement on the C6... which, IMHO, was butt ugly coming and going.

But it appears that GM designed the new Vette with the JC Whitney catalog as their guide.

Great motor, tho. And endlessly mod-able at low cost... unlike the 911.

I've owned two Vettes and two 911's and the two are light years apart.

A Vette compares to a 911 as good ground beef compares to good steak... the former are both sports cars and the latter are both beef.

But nobody cross shops ground beef and steak because if you can afford steak, you buy steak. It's just better.

Last edited by JohnnyBahamas; 01-15-2013 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Sh*ts and giggles.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:35 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Putting aside the driving dynamics or the esthetics, I'm a snob I guess, but I prefer to seen in a Porsche. When I was shopping for my '09 C2S I drove the C6. I thought it was a great driving and great looking car. It was fast, comfortable and quiet but the interior was wanting, even with the very expensive upgrade. That weekend the dealer was hosting a Corvette show. There were about 50 or 60 cars there from every vintage and I really enjoyed myself, but I gotta say I didn't feel at home in the crowd, nice folks I'm sure, but not me. It's a bit like the crowd at the Harley dealership as opposed to the group at the Ducati shop. Each car builder has worked hard at building their "brand", and each has a devoted following. I'm more at home the Porsche nuts.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:05 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not a Porsche and definitely looks American. Then again it is American, and is not a Porsche.

I suspect it will be hugely popular with the Corvette crowd which as a group tends to be slightly more progressive than the 911 crowd.

I will be interested to see some track numbers, but I suspect it will hold its own with the 991.

I'm considering buyin one. Not to replace my TT (which I am keeping), but because a good hamburger is every bit as enjoyable as a good steak.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:22 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
There are Vettes at local PCA DEs that run with the fastest track optimized 911s. From the sound of things the C7 is going to be as big an advance as the 991.
I love Porsches but I I'm going to guess that this C7 with a good driver will leave most 911s for dead including 991 series. Massive value for money, kudos GM.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:25 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
The new Vette is an improvement on the C6... which, IMHO, was butt ugly coming and going.

But nobody cross shops ground beef and steak because if you can afford steak, you buy steak. It's just better.
Don't agree re hamburger. Sometime you just want something juicy with buns. Don't know why that came to mind...
Old 01-15-2013, 08:31 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by solomonschris
Putting aside the driving dynamics or the esthetics, I'm a snob I guess, but I prefer to seen in a Porsche. When I was shopping for my '09 C2S I drove the C6. I thought it was a great driving and great looking car. It was fast, comfortable and quiet but the interior was wanting, even with the very expensive upgrade. That weekend the dealer was hosting a Corvette show. There were about 50 or 60 cars there from every vintage and I really enjoyed myself, but I gotta say I didn't feel at home in the crowd, nice folks I'm sure, but not me. It's a bit like the crowd at the Harley dealership as opposed to the group at the Ducati shop. Each car builder has worked hard at building their "brand", and each has a devoted following. I'm more at home the Porsche nuts.
It's amazing how things have evolved over the decades. Back in the 60s there were many car enthusiasts who cross shopped Porsches and C2 Vettes. You could buy a decently equipped C2 back then for around $5K, and Porsches were a couple K extra. I don't think Porsches were in vogue with the professional classes back then: lawyers, doctors, stock brokers etc. So Porsches were primarily being bought by car enthusiasts who craved handling over the brute power of the C2.

The C7 looks great in pictures and I'm certain it will handle quite well. Of course the biggest thing the C7 has going for it is its price which should be in the mid $50s. Since Vette options aren't as expensive as Porsche's, I expect that you will be able to buy a decently equipped one for the $60Ks as opposed to in excess of $100K for a 991.

So I am happy that car enthusiasts who don't have $100K in disposable cash, appear to have an outstanding option in the C7 but we won't know for sure until they appear in show rooms in a few months.

Quick Reply: 2014 Stingray