Eventful Sunday Drive

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 09:02 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Eventful Sunday Drive

People really react to this car.

Car and Driver once remarked that in California "Porsches are common as carrots." That isn't really true of course, even in cities like Newport Beach where you would burn out your headlights trying to flash acknowledgement at every Porsche you saw. But it is true that in California people know what Porsches are, and a fair number know enough to distinguish a Carrera from a 914. In the aforesaid cities, a 991 will get pride of place over a 996 from valet parking attendants. But we do have tourists and... well, it was like this:

Yesterday, I wanted a pick-me-up. Certain personality types reach for a bottle of their drug of choice. I reach for the car keys. Drove up one canyon, turned onto a road that crosses the ridge to the canyon over, thinking its broken-backed-snake would make an interesting map recording for the Sport-Chrono. Along the five miles of that first canyon, I came up behind (without pushing) three sport bikes, an SUV, and a sedan. All of them saw me coming in their mirrors and made an opportunity to let me by within a couple of corners. Not many resentful types in this area. I always wave when I go by.

Turned off that canyon road onto the road that crosses the ridge. Fellow ahead in some econo-box is approaching the part where it starts writhing up to the ridgeline. Some of those cars are quite briskly driven, so I kept an open mind. As we approached the first hairpin, the question was settled. He put it off the pavement onto a wide dirt shoulder, nearly managing a spin in a front-wheel drive box for heaven's sake. Okay, don't get too close to this guy.

Next corner, I'm a couple of hundred yards back and as he comes out of the corner onto a straight, he nearly loses it again. Drives into the pseudo-curb protecting this shoulder that overhangs a big drop. He bounces off. This guy is going speeds like 25 to 30 mph, folks.

My rule is I give other drivers a brief chance to see me and wave me by. If they don't, then I evaluate whether my presence is pushing them to drive over their head. If they seem iffy, I pull over and enjoy scenery for a while. If it's just a complacent bonehead, then I follow at a neutral distance until some passing opportunity arrives. This guy wasn't iffy, he was about to get killed. I don't know if it was my being there or not. Maybe he was a youngster who 'borrowed' that car for a joy ride, or someone who actually became frightened to have a sports car show up in his mirrors. It's remotely possible he was so fascinated that he spent his time looking in the mirror instead of driving. Whatever his reason, I didn't want to know more. Worst case I've ever seen. I just made a three-point turn to reverse on that narrow road and returned to the original canyon. All canyons lead to my lunch destination.

Back on the original canyon road, I came up on a local pick-up going from one wide spot to the next. She let me by. Then a VW Jetta or BTI or something that was having fun, but loafing along in Porsche terms. He tried a couple of corners and then made a passing opportunity by turning on his signal and moving onto the shoulder. Another wave and a beep of the horn to say thanks.

A mile or two passed and my pick-me-up is working. I laughed out loud again, as often happens in this 991. Then I came up behind a motorcycle. This was not a sport bike. More... well, you know how wearing certain kinds of jackets on a motorcycle causes them to inflate with the airflow? The rider looks like an ape hunched over, or a bear raping a hatstand. This was such a case. Couldn't see the bike to be honest, and I couldn't see his mirrors. They were hidden by his balloon jacket.

After two hyper-conservative corners, I decided this guy was either a very new biker, hence the poor choice of clothing, or a cruiser poseur who was so concentrated on that 'difficult' road that he hadn't looked over/under/around his jacket to see me back there. Disappointing, but not a big deal. I always give bikes at least half a corner because a third type doesn't realize bikes feel faster (and more fun) but really aren't as fast as a sports car on winding roads. They can get hurt trying to prove a fallacy. Best not to push a biker at all, lest you end up holding their femoral artery for twenty minutes until the paramedics arrive. So we drifted along.

The veedub caught us, and I wouldn't have been surprised if that pick-up and a few family sedans had as well. It was that languorous. Eventually, after half a dozen chances to let me past, it was obvious this was a fourth type that is fortunately rare here. Cindy used to call them "guys who wear their ***** on the radiator". But she was an old lady with a very fast car and allowed to be brutally honest about men. I'll just say he didn't want to 'surrender' and let anyone pass.

Eventually, we came to a passing zone. I blatantly seek applause for maturity: I did not turn on my sport exhaust to go past him. In the interest of safety, I did minimize the exposure time to hypothetical oncoming traffic that might airdrop into the opposite lane, but that's just common sense. Call it 30-100 in six seconds... But I slowed for the next village! I'm a very conservative driver around civilians. Honest.

Not much canyon left. Just a few more turns in the civilized built-up areas, posted as 45 mph naturally. I came up behind a city bus, and by golly that preoccupied bear was faster than a bus making pick-ups! He caught us. Wow. We came up to the first traffic light. I expected him to pull past me as bikers normally do, making their own lane between the four-wheelers, so I gave him room. He didn't, and I heard him shout something from directly behind my bumper. Interesting. Not smart, but interesting, as a surgeon might say of an odd malignancy. I mean, even if you're a particularly brave lad, when you're holding a pen knife, would you holler at a guy swinging a claymore? He already knows I'm faster; I'm driving a vehicle that outweighs his by a ton and a bit; and critically, my vehicle is wrapped around me, while he uses patellas for airbags. Not smart, as I say. And he didn't even have a radiator, so there's that theory gone.

The road opened to four lanes, and I moved over in front of a van to let him by. He throws the expected finger going past, but then has an awkward problem. Now this stranger in a Porsche is behind him and not braking as he slows for the light. I admit it. I haven't been in the best mood for a couple of weeks. I was perking up until this bozo came along. I'm not interested in hurting him, but I'm not above reminding him of his situation. I delayed my braking point a little beyond where a little old lady who didn't own her own NSX would have started slowing.

Oh yes. For those who don't know, another reason to stay well back of bikes. They don't stop as well as we do. Not nearly, because they don't dare let the front wheel approach lock-up. The introduction of anti-lock brakes has helped, but basically they just don't put enough rubber on the road, and the cg is too high for really efficient braking unless they lay the bike down. That adds thigh skin to the contact patch and helps. Or so I am told. But it isn't favorite. Add their usual moderate braking choices to those organic airbags, and a sensible biker is alert to four-wheelers that don't seem to brake early enough. Alert, and maybe a little tense sometimes.

I don't say I hammered the brakes as I would on a track. On the contrary, no excitement at all. Not from inside the 3,000 lb vehicle, But I didn't slow gradually the way a bike does on city streets. I used half a g, which is very moderate, but it did scare hell out of my 'civilian' nephew the first time I did it. People really don't grasp how quickly cars stop when well driven.

This rider was probably people. By courtesy anyway. One more block and another red light. Still can't see his mirrors, but I'm guessing he looked in them when I was approaching him from behind at the previous light. This time he ran the red light rather than stop and sit waiting. Probably left wondering if he'd just pissed off a raving lunatic. Don't be silly...

Eventful day. Two incompetents, and probably both with personality problems. Flying guess: the first one was a new driver and very rattled to see an exotic car of some sort in his mirrors. Too timid to be near. The second one was in a testosterone fug. Thinks he's king of the road and resented hell out of finding out he's just as delusional about that as his girlfriend said he was about bed.

I did notice (when I came to a stop fourteen inches from his rear tire) that he was wearing a Tennessee plate. I'm guessing back home they still think motorcyclists are tough guys. Long way to come to re-size your ego.

Gary
Old 01-14-2013, 09:41 PM
carsrmyvice
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Enjoyed the read. While I don't yet have a 911, I do know what it is like to receive aggressive and undesirable responses from other drivers that are directly correlated to the car I'm driving. Best to shake your head and carry on
Old 01-14-2013, 09:52 PM
meine911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gary - A well-written reflection. Enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:10 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,301 Likes on 886 Posts

"A bear raping a hatstand"
Old 01-14-2013, 11:43 PM
bernpep
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Way to go Gary. Almost exactly as I would have done. Always trying to find patientce!
Old 01-15-2013, 12:30 AM
DHill
Advanced

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Gary, I too was rolling when I read that line.

Enjoyed the read. Thanks for posting. Going for a drive is therapy for me as we'll. Unfortunately, I won't get the chance for a couple more months, as the weather here in Boise, ID is less than ideal and I just can't get myself to take her out in it.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:43 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
I hate to sound judgmental. Maybe sh.. uh, it led him on.

At the very least, he should call tomorrow.

Gary
Old 01-15-2013, 11:48 AM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Re: "After two hyper-conservative corners, I decided this guy was either a very new biker, hence the poor choice of clothing, or a cruiser poseur who was so concentrated on that 'difficult' road that he hadn't looked over/under/around his jacket to see me back there. Disappointing, but not a big deal. I always give bikes at least half a corner because a third type doesn't realize bikes feel faster (and more fun) but really aren't as fast as a sports car on winding roads. They can get hurt trying to prove a fallacy. Best not to push a biker at all, lest you end up holding their femoral artery for twenty minutes until the paramedics arrive. So we drifted along."

So true. My approach to the matter was well. Each time I see them do something ridiculous, I can hear myself uttering the words, organ donor.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:03 PM
SiNi
Instructor

Seems these cars do have A-hole magnets front and rear!
Old 01-15-2013, 08:40 PM
DBYT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gary,
Great write up as usual! Always enjoy your posts.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:43 PM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gary, I enjoyed the read.
I know exactly how you felt, and it was probably a little worse when I drove my Ariel Atom.
People not knowing what it was would constantly almost drive off the road or into other lanes desperately trying to get their camera phones out, and I even had a few people follow me all the way home just to see what it was.
That was a little unnerving.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:33 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maverick1
Gary, I enjoyed the read.
I know exactly how you felt, and it was probably a little worse when I drove my Ariel Atom.
People not knowing what it was would constantly almost drive off the road or into other lanes desperately trying to get their camera phones out, and I even had a few people follow me all the way home just to see what it was.
That was a little unnerving.
More than a little, I'd think. Owing to some early professional training, Cindy and I always noticed anyone taking our same route and possibly following us. The simple solution is to change from your direct route in case it is an innocent neighbor going to his own home near yours. But when someone starts to follow your turns even when they're illogical, it gets tense.

Only lasted more than a mile on one occasion, but that was once too often. I was in an econobox while they were in a hotrodded pick-up truck, so evasion wasn't a foregone conclusion. "Damn," Cindy said, "where is a DB-7 with oil spray and Boadicea hubs when you need one?"

Gary
Old 01-16-2013, 02:13 AM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I have to say I'm really shocked at the behavior this car is inspiring in other drivers. People really do react to this car, I can attest. It's been positive in some respects, but in others nearly sociopathic.

In 15 days of ownership, I've already had several incidents with other drivers on the road.

Story #1: On Sunday I was lumbering along in the slow lane enjoying some tunes, doing the speed limit on the expressway, when a middle-aged guy in a Hyundai pulls alongside, looks into the car and then proceeds to flip me the bird. Needless to say, I wasn't very thrilled. I proceeded to pull into the lane behind him and follow him. This seemed to unnerve him. He tried a few blasts up to 90 mph or thereabouts to shake me. Uh huh. Good strategy. **** off the guy in the car that can easily keep up with you no matter what you may attempt to do. I didn't let it verge into road rage territory, but I'm sure I made him take the long way home to avoid having to stop at a traffic light. After I was sure he got the point, I peeled off and made my way back home.

Story #2: I was driving through traffic on the way to run some errands after work last week when a guy in a Lexus sedan, exiting the freeway onto the feeder road I was driving on, proceeded to pull in aggressively behind me, in the process cutting off another driver. I signaled and turned right into the shopping center I was headed for and he pulled in directly behind me. As I was slowly making my way through the parking lot and getting ready to turn left towards the Best Buy, the guy quickly pulls out into the oncoming traffic "lane" and passes me on the left before he cuts back in front of me again, only to then cut across the parking lot and leave the shopping center complex entirely. What?

I've noticed already that the car tends to encourage other drivers--no matter the vehicle type--to drive more aggressively and take more risks in general. I guess this is something I'm going to have to get accustomed to...
Old 01-16-2013, 02:44 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 72 Posts

Gary, enjoyed the read very much. Thanks for posting!

Cognito_Ergo_Zoom, wow. I have not owned a Porsche before but such accounts of experiences are beginning to worry me. I am getting Porsche to enjoy myself and not to show off (I think all/most of us do) ...this is ridiculous! Thanks for sharing!
Old 01-16-2013, 03:00 AM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Same here, Fester. I wasn't bargaining for this either.

I'm living in a "progressive" city (not making a political statement, that's just the facts) that has been constantly lamenting the signs of increased affluence and development for awhile. There are a lot of Prius drivers here. Fine. I think you should drive whatever you're comfortable with for whatever reason. But I think this may have had something to do with the first incident. YMMV in another part of the country based on local political sensibilities.

I didn't buy this to show off either--in fact that's at the very bottom of my list--but I think it's an issue whether you choose to acknowledge it or not. As my Dad told me today when I was talking to him, "you didn't just buy a sports car, you bought a status symbol." I guess he has a point. Maybe I went into this a little naively...

Either way, I'm still enjoying the car and this isn't going to stop me from doing that.

Quick Reply: Eventful Sunday Drive