Sponsored by:

Sport chrono instructions

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 12:34 PM
Buddhabelly
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport chrono instructions

Where can I get instructions to this function? My manuals package only had the owner's manual and PCM manual and a couple of quick references.

Is there a sport chrono specific manual that's missing, or online/DVD resource available?
Old 01-14-2013, 12:42 PM
pfan
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

This might provide some information:

http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...nual/ext/home/

Search under "list all how-to topics."
Old 01-14-2013, 03:45 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts
Lightbulb

When your wife gets back from the track, ask her to tell you about it.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:17 PM
Buddhabelly
Advanced

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
When your wife gets back from the track, ask her to tell you about it.
Hahaha... She's just set a new Laguna Seca record.

And still doesn't know how SC work.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:34 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddhabelly
Where can I get instructions to this function? My manuals package only had the owner's manual and PCM manual and a couple of quick references.

Is there a sport chrono specific manual that's missing, or online/DVD resource available?
Page 129 of the PCM manual is the first place to go. I don't know whether anyone has published a discussion on line yet. I have played it with it, but not used it seriously. Basically, you have to turn on data collection in ... let me check... go to car-option-set sport display where it offers [ ]Additional data. Click on that to enable data collection.

Now it depends on your steering wheel. With the multi-function wheel, you use the little scroll wheel to select things in the small display, right? And with the sport wheel, you use a stalk below the wiper stalk. Use whichever is appropriate to follow these directions:
  1. Bring up the sport-chrono display on that small screen.
  2. Press your button/stalk to open that screen further.
  3. Select ... word escapes me. It means "turn me on" in that Germanic way of Porsche manual authors. Do it.

Now you have options appropriate to your new situation. Before you begin, the first one says 'start' which you select when you leave your driveway or when you pass start/finish at a track. Lap timing begins, and so will data collection now that you've enabled that. The first option changes to 'round' which again is the inimitable Germanic way of saying "end of lap" or "end of today's trip" as the case may be.

Current lap/drive-to-work information shows on the little screen. The big one, always called PCM by the manual, now shows a map of your peregrinations. The scale will adapt to the distances you cover before clicking 'round'. You can save that lap/recurring-trip record as your reference or you can make the trip again (or take more laps) and once you have several recorded, go to car-option-sport display. A list of recordings will appear on the big screen. Pick the one you consider a nominal example of your talents or the typical traffic you encounter. Select it with the PCM screen controls and when the options appear select 'evaluation' and then 'store reference'. You can rename it as well: "Sports Plus manual mode" or "With both kids in back" as appropriate.

Later occasions, just call up that list of recordings again and select the one you want and specify "set reference".

Now the fun begins. (And that's really all this is. Serious work requires on-board telemetry or at least a data dump for post-analysis.) With a reference lap defined, the path (aka track map) comes up on the big screen. As you drive the same trip, or take more laps, your position along the route or around the track is indicated by a yellow dot. The small screen shows your previous lap time, the reference lap time, and whether you are covering the route (running this lap) faster or slower than the reference you defined. A little circle indicates where you are on the lap in terms of time. The big map is showing your physical position on the path of course, but you might have a slow section and a fast section. The circle shows where you are relative to elapsed time versus total time, half done, three-quarters. What have you.

If you're going faster than the reference, that information shows in green. If you're going slower, it shows... well, I never went slower. Red or yellow I imagine. c.f. that manual page.

That's a quick and dirty summary. Someone posted the link to a piece of software that processes that recorded data if you download it to a memory stick. I haven't tried that. Actually, I did do a download, but got nothing much because I hadn't realized we must enable "additional data" to get anything useful.

Gary
Old 01-14-2013, 07:52 PM
Buddhabelly
Advanced

Thank you.

You're very generous and kind.

Originally Posted by simsgw
Page 129 of the PCM manual is the first place to go. I don't know whether anyone has published a discussion on line yet. I have played it with it, but not used it seriously. Basically, you have to turn on data collection in ... let me check... go to car-option-set sport display where it offers [ ]Additional data. Click on that to enable data collection.

Now it depends on your steering wheel. With the multi-function wheel, you use the little scroll wheel to select things in the small display, right? And with the sport wheel, you use a stalk below the wiper stalk. Use whichever is appropriate to follow these directions:
  3. Select ... word escapes me. It means "turn me on" in that Germanic way of Porsche manual authors. Do it.

Now you have options appropriate to your new situation. Before you begin, the first one says 'start' which you select when you leave your driveway or when you pass start/finish at a track. Lap timing begins, and so will data collection now that you've enabled that. The first option changes to 'round' which again is the inimitable Germanic way of saying "end of lap" or "end of today's trip" as the case may be.

Current lap/drive-to-work information shows on the little screen. The big one, always called PCM by the manual, now shows a map of your peregrinations. The scale will adapt to the distances you cover before clicking 'round'. You can save that lap/recurring-trip record as your reference or you can make the trip again (or take more laps) and once you have several recorded, go to car-option-sport display. A list of recordings will appear on the big screen. Pick the one you consider a nominal example of your talents or the typical traffic you encounter. Select it with the PCM screen controls and when the options appear select 'evaluation' and then 'store reference'. You can rename it as well: "Sports Plus manual mode" or "With both kids in back" as appropriate.

Later occasions, just call up that list of recordings again and select the one you want and specify "set reference".

Now the fun begins. (And that's really all this is. Serious work requires on-board telemetry or at least a data dump for post-analysis.) With a reference lap defined, the path (aka track map) comes up on the big screen. As you drive the same trip, or take more laps, your position along the route or around the track is indicated by a yellow dot. The small screen shows your previous lap time, the reference lap time, and whether you are covering the route (running this lap) faster or slower than the reference you defined. A little circle indicates where you are on the lap in terms of time. The big map is showing your physical position on the path of course, but you might have a slow section and a fast section. The circle shows where you are relative to elapsed time versus total time, half done, three-quarters. What have you.

If you're going faster than the reference, that information shows in green. If you're going slower, it shows... well, I never went slower. Red or yellow I imagine. c.f. that manual page.

That's a quick and dirty summary. Someone posted the link to a piece of software that processes that recorded data if you download it to a memory stick. I haven't tried that. Actually, I did do a download, but got nothing much because I hadn't realized we must enable "additional data" to get anything useful.

Gary
Old 01-15-2013, 12:13 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddhabelly
Thank you.

You're very generous and kind.
You're certainly welcome. Have fun with it.

Gary
Old 03-25-2015, 03:25 PM
Carrera 4 GTS
4th Gear

Default PCM instructions

Originally Posted by simsgw

Gary
Gary thanks for the detailed explanation.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:37 PM
Carrera 4 GTS
4th Gear

It is difficult to find anyone anywhere who knows how to use this system well. Including dealers. I realize there are better aftermarket systems available but I have been determined to figure this thing out. Recently I recorded my trip to work and programmed it as my reference "lap", however the mapping screen failed to display my "lap". I don't know how to get it to show this. All I ever see displayed is te Orange dot and the checkered flag, but nothing ever gets mapped. My understanding was that it maps your route and then overlays your progress in subsequent laps. What am I missing?
Old 03-25-2015, 04:50 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera 4 GTS
It is difficult to find anyone anywhere who knows how to use this system well. Including dealers. I realize there are better aftermarket systems available but I have been determined to figure this thing out. Recently I recorded my trip to work and programmed it as my reference "lap", however the mapping screen failed to display my "lap". I don't know how to get it to show this. All I ever see displayed is te Orange dot and the checkered flag, but nothing ever gets mapped. My understanding was that it maps your route and then overlays your progress in subsequent laps. What am I missing?
If you find out please tell me... I gave up on it (trying to do the same thing) within a few weeks of ownership
Old 03-25-2015, 06:07 PM
Carrera 4 GTS
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Cheekymonkeyman
If you find out please tell me... I gave up on it (trying to do the same thing) within a few weeks of ownership
Will do.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:15 PM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also, it turns on the sport plus engine mount stiffness modality.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:08 PM
Carrera 4 GTS
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Key Left
Also, it turns on the sport plus engine mount stiffness modality.
I'm pretty sure that's only the case with the 991 models which debuted in 2012. The only 997.2 model to overlap 2012 production of the 991 was the GTS. To my knowledge, of all the 997.2 models, only the turbo/turbo S have the dynamic engine mounts.

Quick Reply: Sport chrono instructions