Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Order about to lock for C2S coupe, final recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 07:42 AM
ww007
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Order about to lock for C2S coupe, final recommendations?

My order is gonna lock in about a week. I'd like to thank everyone who has given me advice in my previous posts, or anyone who has posted anything in these forums for that matter (so much useful info here)! Sascha Glaeser was very helpful as well. This car will be my daily driver, with possible occasional track days. It will be my first Porsche Just wanted to see what you guys think of my final build:

Burmester® Audio Package $5,010
P3C Premium Package Plus with Adaptive Sport Seats Plus $6,155
Exterior Colors Z4 Basalt Black Metallic $710
Interior Colors NG Carrera Red natural leather interior $4,840
Exterior 498 Deletion of Model Designation $0
559 Window trim in high gloss Aluminum $395
636 ParkAssist (front and rear) $990
653 Sunroof in glass $1,990
748 Electric folding exterior mirrors $320
ZAB Ornamental Porsche Crest $0
Performance 176 Sport Exhaust System $2,950
250 Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) $4,080
352 Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC) $3,160
640 Sport Chrono Package $2,370
Wheels XRT 20-inch SportTechno wheel Exclusive $1,355
Interior 022 Instrument Dials in Black $0
583 Smoking package $0
P07 Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way) $0
Interior Leather 998 Natural leather interior $0
XNS Steering column casing in leather Exclusive $465
XPT Storage compartment lid with Porsche Crest Exclusive $330
XSC Porsche Crest on headrests Exclusive $285
Interior Carbon Fiber EEJ Carbon interior package (for leather interior
and PDK) Exclusive $1,990
X69 Door entry guards in carbon Exclusive $750
XHL Multi-function steering wheel in Carbon incl. steering wheel heating Exclusive $1,250
XHM Center console trim in Carbon Exclusive $630
Audio and Communications 671 Voice Control $595
UN1 Online Services $210
Interior 24951 Carpet in deviating color $710 Black

MSRP $137,940

Link to the build here: http://www.porsche-code.com/PD92WET2

I'm pretty set on the major options but did have a few questions:

1. I'm still waiting on the painted option on the Sport technos to become available (the one where they paint the wheels half body color). Looks like it might not happen though; would an aftermarket wheel or paint shop be able to do it the way Porsche does it, and should I go that route? If not, I'm thinking of just sticking with the standard Carrera S wheels, although I like the fact that the Sport technos are wider in the rear.

2. Even though I don't smoke, I went with the smoker's package after Sascha showed it to me in his car; it really does look pretty elegant, and you can remove the small storage area for cleaning or whatever. The standard cubby hole doesn't look too bad either, though. But I'm concerned about the lost storage space that's taken up by the smoker's package. Is there anything you can put it the standard cubby hole that won't fit in the smoker's package? I'll probably be putting coins in the glove compartment and/or center storage compartment, so I'm curious as to what everyone is putting in their cubby holes and smoker's package compartments. I have sunglasses that need to placed somewhere, but it doesn't look like they'll fit in either.

3. I have Porsche crests on the seat headrests and center storage compartment, but is this too many crests? I'm thinking of changing the center storage one to model logotype (same price as the crests), although I'm not a huge fan of putting the model designation (or any letters for that matter) in the cockpit area. I'm also considering the center tunnel stitching by itself, though it's very pricey for just the stitching. I do want to do one of those 3 options because I think the center storage cover looks too plain by itself. I plan on keeping the headrest crests regardless.

4. Anyone have the telephone module? My understanding is that it requires its own SIM card. Sascha told me it also allows the SAP bluetooth profile, which turns off the phone's cell radio and uses the car's, allowing for better reception and less battery drainage. But that only works for certain phones, iPhone not included (I have an iPhone 5). Are there any other features that go along with the module? Is it worth getting to "future proof" the car?

5. Probably going to lease the car for 3 years (for tax purposes), with the option to buy it at the end of the lease. I'm concerned about the high cost of the options though, and if I do end up buying it, will the options lose a lot (or all) of their value on resale?

Any other comment or criticisms are welcome.

Thanks!
Old 12-29-2012, 09:21 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Great build!

I would do the Storage compartment lid with model logotype $330 and the Rear center tunnel in leather with decorative stitching $1,190. This will also get stitching on the Storage compartment lid, which I had on my 996 and it looked really nice.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:56 AM
2wheels4me
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice choices! Black with red interior is and looks classic, and for this combo the carbon fiber add-ons look good and appropriate. Good choice on the deviating carpet; I did the same for my to-be-built white coupe with red interior. After looking at it on the configurator, I would however not do the aluminum trim around the side windows as I think it breaks up the mostly black outer theme and doesn't to me really match anything, especially given your change to carbon inside. I think it looks best with stately colors like the dark blue metallic, and then, dependent on wheel choices such as the more matching standard Carrera wheels. I'm not a crest on the console guy, and actually prefer the to-me cleaner look of just leather or added stitching. I think you have enough eye draws with the red, CF, crests on the seats, and the multitude of standard interior details. But don't listen to me; it's YOUR car! This car will very capable and beautiful regardless of these tweaks!

Last edited by 2wheels4me; 12-29-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:42 PM
oldman40
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on the deviated carpeting for the red interior--well played.

respectfully disagree with getting rid of the aluminum window trim...which probably means its a total personal taste thing. breaks up the all black, esp if you're getting technos painted black.

response to question#3: i know you've probably already seen this link, and the color is different, but it helped me to ordered mine with both the rear tunnel in leather...etc, and the storage lid with model designation. the former is a genuine aesthetic improvement (if it were more reasonably priced i suspect a lot more people would order it, just like the sportdesign/mf steering wheel compared to the base one), the latter is a total personal taste thing--crest, logo, or nothing at all.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori...2s-indischrot/

the exclusive catalog has a nice example of the "triple crests" (headrests and center lid) on a magnificent espresso interior(page 8,9). i personally thought it was too many crests, especially if you include the steering wheel crest plaque too, but again, purely a taste thing. but i liked having something on the lid to draw attention to the stitching, so i went with the model logo. (catalog p10 has another view of the model logo variation)

http://files.porsche.com/filestore.a...9-204e8c8878d7

good luck!
Old 12-29-2012, 06:33 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

+1 on the rear centre console in leather - the stitching on the arm rest looks good.

not too many crests - you can't see the one behind your head and rarely see the passenger one. anyway, they are pretty subtle.

+1 on steering column in leather!

i would also say can the alu outside window treatment - i would add painting the lower part of the exterior mirrors. even in Basalt, that black plastic looks sooooh cheap imo.

i have the Burmester as well - amazing stereo

finally - u should look at the dash leather option - it surrounds the sport chrono in leather & stitching - otherwise u get to look at plastic
Old 12-30-2012, 12:40 AM
oldman40
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ww007,

also based on the exclusive catalog, techno wheels painted in exterior color, partially--XD9

hope this helps!
Old 12-30-2012, 02:03 AM
ww007
Instructor

Thanks oldman40. I've actually never seen those photos, so they were helpful LOL. The center storage actually looks really good with both the Porsche crest and stitching, but the stitching is so pricey! I don't mind the triple crests, and tend to agree that you don't really see the two on the headrests. I'll have to think about the stitching some more but wish they made it more like $600, would've definitely gotten it at that price. The pricing on my current options have already ballooned a bit out of control...

Thanks for the option code, but they told me that the painted sport technos are actually on backorder because they were so popular. Anyone have success getting them partially painted aftermarket? Not sure if that's a great idea for a leased vehicle though...

Thanks to everyone else for their comments as well. I think the window trim in aluminum actually does match the wheels and headlights, not to mention the interior trim around the speakers and door handles. Plus I plan on tinting the windows pretty dark, so the trim will help break up all the black.

And if my car were any color other than black, I would've gotten the mirrors painted too. I don't think you'll notice the difference with a black car unless you look very closely. Honestly that should've come standard and it's kind of a travesty that Porsche makes you pay for it.

I guess in the end all the design options are purely subjective. I think there's a saying somewhere that too much choice is a bad thing?? I can see why now

And I found someone making use of that cubby hole in this thread:
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ne-holder.html
Don't think I'll be doing that with my iPhone though, so smoker's package should be OK. Where are people putting all their stuff (i.e., sunglasses, cell phones, etc) in their 991's??
Old 01-02-2013, 02:26 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ww007
if I do end up buying it, will the options lose a lot (or all) of their value on resale?
Yes.

With the possible exception of the "S" model, you get little to nothing back on options. Now, on a car as heavily optioned as this one, that may not be quite as true, but as a percentage of money retained, I'd be surprised if you saw more than 10% on the options.

The PDK will hurt you more on resale than anything else. It's a great transmission, but most enthusiasts prefer the manual. It seems to me that as the cars get older, the PDK discount gets greater (i.e. it impacts resale more).

Lease it, enjoy it, then see what you want to do at the end of the lease. A lot of things can happen in 3 years.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:54 PM
Binksboy
7th Gear

All good....but lose the aluminium trim around the windows cheapens the exterior IMHO. Enjoy.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:18 PM
ww007
Instructor

I think my order is very close to locking now, so I'd like to thank you all for your sage advice! The cosmetic options are all highly subjective, so I went with what looked good to me I'll highlight some of the reasoning behind some of my options selections below.

I did make a couple of changes: deleted the Porsche crest on the storage compartment lid and added the rear center tunnel in leather with decorative stitching. I was kind of back and forth between the two but decided to go with just the stitching as I already have the crests on the headrests and to my eyes, the leather in those areas looks kind of plain without the stitching.

It is what I wanted to go with all along, but I was turned off by the exorbitant pricing. I'm guessing it's priced this way because it actually also adds leather for those without the full leather interior, whereas for those who already have the full leather, it just adds the stitching. Porsche should really add a discount on this option for those who already have the full leather, but we all know that's never gonna happen Anyway it's "only" about $850 more than crest so I figured, I've come this far, might as well get everything that I want (then again, I said this to myself about $10,000 worth of options ago... )

So here is my "final" build:

Burmester® Audio Package $5,010
P3C Premium Package Plus with Adaptive Sport Seats Plus $6,155
Exterior Colors Z4 Basalt Black Metallic $710
Interior Colors NG Carrera Red natural leather interior $4,840
Exterior 498 Deletion of Model Designation $0
559 Window trim in high gloss Aluminum $395
636 ParkAssist (front and rear) $990
653 Sunroof in glass $1,990
748 Electric folding exterior mirrors $320
ZAB Ornamental Porsche Crest $0
Performance 176 Sport Exhaust System $2,950
250 Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) $4,080
352 Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC) $3,160
640 Sport Chrono Package $2,370
Wheels XRT 20-inch SportTechno wheel Exclusive $1,355
Interior 022 Instrument Dials in Black $0
583 Smoking package $0
P07 Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way) $0
Interior Leather 998 Natural leather interior $0
XNS Steering column casing in leather Exclusive $465
Rear center tunnel in leather with decorative stitching $1,190
XSC Porsche Crest on headrests Exclusive $285
Interior Carbon Fiber EEJ Carbon interior package (for leather interior
and PDK) Exclusive $1,990
X69 Door entry guards in carbon Exclusive $750
XHL Multi-function steering wheel in Carbon incl. steering wheel heating Exclusive $1,250
XHM Center console trim in Carbon Exclusive $630
Audio and Communications 671 Voice Control $595
UN1 Online Services $210
Interior 24951 Carpet in deviating color $710 Black

MSRP $138,800

Some other options I was strongly considering but ultimately decided to forgo:

1. Sport PASM: a relatively inexpensive option, so cost was not really a factor. I skipped it because I didn't want to worry about having the front spoiler scraping all the time. Although the front chin looks nice, as well as the lowered height and greater spoiler angle, I figured the S already comes with the regular PASM and the PDCC kind of obviates the need for it, as there is hardly any roll with the PDCC anyway. The only thing I'm not sure of is if I take it to the track, how much high-speed stability am I giving up without the front spoiler and greater rear spoiler angle? Although most of the test cars I've seen in the major car publications don't seem to have it, so that's reassuring.

2. Adaptive cruise control incl. Porsche Active Safe (PAS): at $2500, quite a pricey option. I covered my reasons for not getting it in another post, but basically after looking it up in the instruction manual, it seemed kind of clunky to operate and not designed for stop and go traffic (you have to tap on the accelerator and push a button on the stalk to get the car moving again after you come to a complete stop, which is more complicated than just driving the car normally). While the safety feature is nice (apparently it can come to a complete stop for you), I figure it's better to just be more vigilant.

3. European delivery: considered this at the last second after reading some posts, especially fbroen's diary on his experience. Two things deterred me: my dealer was going to drastically reduce my discount as he was going to pass on most of the $3000 cost to me (although he did say that he'd pay for half of it). Also, he said it was not an option for a lease (can anyone confirm if this is true?).

One thing that is still missing is painting of the sport technos to body color, as that option is still not yet available, and it's looking like it's not gonna happen. Has anyone been able to paint them aftermarket the way Porsche does them (half-painted)?

Hope I don't have any regrets with this build!

Thanks again!
Old 01-11-2013, 02:26 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

NOTHING to regret!

Quick Reply: Order about to lock for C2S coupe, final recommendations?