Sponsored by:

Who besides me finds the Panamera...

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 03:07 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
I disagree. If you have followed PAG's designs since the water cooled area, each design piggy-backs on the previous launch of whatever line was just launched. The Cayenne 1.2's redesigned taillights appeared next on the 997.2, to give you just one example. The 991 at a distance, from many angles, is easily confused with a Panamera - some call it a little Panamera . I can tell any 11 at distance from the 901 on (and have lived with them all). YMMV.
Ok that's it - unsubscribed... This is crazy talk!!
Old 12-24-2012, 07:36 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I disagree. If you have followed PAG's designs since the water cooled area, each design piggy-backs on the previous launch of whatever line was just launched. The Cayenne 1.2's redesigned taillights appeared next on the 997.2, to give you just one example. The 991 at a distance, from many angles, is easily confused with a Panamera - some call it a little Panamera . I can tell any 11 at distance from the 901 on (and have lived with them all). YMMV.
That's fine. But baby Panamera? That's just sore toed 997.2 Carrera owner talk. So you honestly can't tell that the 991 is a 911? C'mon. A Panamera has its own look entirely right down to the ugly hunch back. The Panamera would only wish to be so lucky to even resemble a 991.

And the Cayenne series 2's tail lamps looking like a 997.2? Can't see that at all.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:26 AM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fester
Ok that's it - unsubscribed... This is crazy talk!!
More like Glaucoma.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:35 AM
clembo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

... The 991 at a distance, from many angles, is easily confused with a Panamera - some call it a little Panamera ...
ADias - You have been lurking on the 991 page all year dropping silly pokes because you don't like it, we get it. We understand that you like Porsches as much as most of us but C'Mon Man! I think Porsche is sticking with the 991, sorry. I'll be happy to let you track mine if you are on the east coast next summer, I'll even pick you up at the airport in a Panamera, hopefully you will not confuse it for a 991, it will be the four door with the ugly backside.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:37 AM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

It is pretty ugly-and pretty huge for a 4 seater as well. If they made it bigger so it can hold five comfortably and made the back end less like a pile of melted Velveeta, I might actually consider one.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:59 AM
jmm
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bigger wouldn't make it hold five. It would have to be taller and further off the ground because the driveline runs between the seats. I wonder what that raised center of gravity would do to the handling. It would probably just end up being another ordinary four-door, five-passenger sedan that didn't feel like a sport sedan. Aren't there enough of those already?

The original criteria was four passengers and their luggage transported in comfort and speed. It took those design objectives seriously and built the car around it.

Design your own car if you can't find what you like. We'll see how popular yours is.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:09 AM
Jim 'n' SC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove several really fast at the Porsche Roadshow in Charlotte and the car in incredible. If they could redesign the rear I think I could like it.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:40 AM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Franklin229
and made the back end less like a pile of melted Velveeta, I might actually consider one.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:46 AM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So, is the Sport Turisimo supposed to be a replacement for the current Panamera ? or an additional body style to be sold in the lineup? I can't imagine anyone but those shopping for a cheap lease choosing the current version in that case?

Also, I did look at the sport turisimo pics again... I don't know what this is called.. the red line/ stop light all the way across the back.. is this a permanent design feature? or just something they did for the concept? It looks rather tacky ala a dodge or a lincoln. Hopefully they choose just the lights without that long center red line for the production version.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:28 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by rpilot
Also, I did look at the sport turisimo pics again... I don't know what this is called.. the red line/ stop light all the way across the back.. is this a permanent design feature? or just something they did for the concept? It looks rather tacky ala a dodge or a lincoln. Hopefully they choose just the lights without that long center red line for the production version.
The rear tail lights on the Sport Turismo will likely carryover more. It's from the 918.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:22 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 166 Posts

Anyone notice that the Panamera GTS bested the new M5 in a recent MT comparo. I still think its pretty funky looking though. I wonder if it would grow on you b/c of the great drive for a large sedan.
Jim
Old 12-24-2012, 07:53 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Anyone notice that the Panamera GTS bested the new M5 in a recent MT comparo. I still think its pretty funky looking though. I wonder if it would grow on you b/c of the great drive for a large sedan.
Jim
Saw a dark metallic browny black Pana Turbo S the other day and on the road it looked solid. The quality really shone through and whilst the car isn't the natural glamour it could/should have been you could easily see there was a lot of substance to the package. If i was in the market for a large saloon type car I would certainly buy one of these over any M5 or large Benz. It certainly has presence.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:05 PM
oldman40
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
Saw a dark metallic browny black Pana Turbo S the other day and on the road it looked solid. The quality really shone through and whilst the car isn't the natural glamour it could/should have been you could easily see there was a lot of substance to the package. If i was in the market for a large saloon type car I would certainly buy one of these over any M5 or large Benz. It certainly has presence.
i think this is a fair statement. we shouldnt be comparing panameras to 911s, but to its own class....bmw 7 series, s class mercs, jaguar XJ etc. basically pick your poison, and then the panny doesnt look so bad anymore! another comment...i've seen the hybrid wagon online, still not a great looking rear end jmho. it needs a back to the drawing board redo, but design engineers can be a stubborn bunch. a dramatic change might read like an admission of flaws, something no human being likes to do.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:59 PM
TSpyder
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by oldman40
...i've seen the hybrid wagon online, still not a great looking rear end jmho. it needs a back to the drawing board redo...
While not a fan of the Pana esthetics, i quite liked the hybrid that I got to evaluate at the LA Auto Show...

Maybe not it's best feature, but a vast improvement over the current derriere IMO...

Best looking Porsche for me is the new Cayman..

But I ain't trading in mine...

Spyder
Old 12-25-2012, 01:29 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by TSpyder
While not a fan of the Pana esthetics, i quite liked the hybrid that I got to evaluate at the LA Auto Show...

Maybe not it's best feature, but a vast improvement over the current derriere IMO...

I quite like it but it does appear a bit unbalanced with the long nose and sawn off rear. The rear end is once again proving to be the cars worse viewing point.......rather boxy and in some way resembles a bus with a 991C4s tailamp conversion. They need to consider giving this car its own identity rather than attempting to mutate a 911/991 into it. A conventional 4 door car with a proper boot may be a good starting point rather than this quirky hatchback people mover look.

Quick Reply: Who besides me finds the Panamera...