Sponsored by:

Who besides me finds the Panamera...

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 02:54 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HotLap
Recently rode in a friends new, loaded Panamera and it was very quiet, and especially SOLID feeling compared to my 991. If I was looking for a 4 door sports sedan I'd definitely consider the Panamera on the top of that list...it's a true sports sedan, not a four door sedan with a sport package (hope that makes sense)?
I am not going to challenge that and without driving it, just by sitting in it I would tend to agree. It's just that hump, that ruins what could could be a great looking car.

@Chuckbdc: I also agree with you about the control ergonomics being better in a Panamera vs. an Audi

Good thing that I am not in the market for a 4 door lux sedan at the moment, it would indeed be a difficult decision.

@ Galion: You are one of the rare ones here, that finds the panamera really good looking, but I suppose there is a reason cars come in different colors too

Let's wait and see what the final production version ?? of the sport turisimo looks like in person.

At the very least, it makes for an interesting discussion during some christmas downtime .. better than discussing money or politics.

Happy holidays to you and yours !!!!
Old 12-23-2012, 04:14 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rpilot
[...]all the sisters look like eunuchs[...]
I'm still hung up back at this phrase. I love it. I can't explain it, but I love it. Very evocative in the denotative-free way that creates memorable writing.

Gary
Old 12-23-2012, 04:40 PM
clembo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HotLap
TT curious, what about the Cayenne didn't she like...just the "crossover" concept in general? I ask because I'm in the market for a CAyenne and am close to pulling the trigger on a new 2013 S model.
HotLap - I bought a 2012 Cayenne S last spring when I got my 991. The Cayenne is mostly for my wife, she loves it. We haul around two dogs in it, it is functional, and it is actually fun to drive. It has a two tone brownish interior which is really beautiful.

I used to think the whole idea of the Cayenne was silly, no need for it. Now that I have one, it is a great vehicle.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:13 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sure it's a Porsche and it's all quality but it's quite ugly from many angles and, it's outrageously expensive. The new wagon looks a better styling proposition. If I owned one of these cars i'd be getting out it now before that wagon becomes available. I envisage a cheap used Panamera market in the future. It's ugly just as the first cayenne was and look how cheap they go for now.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:20 PM
jmsc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A year or 2 ago a popular and well-known German Porsche website used the adjective "Hunchback Of ND" to describe the backend of the Panamera. When I first saw it in-person last year I thought the same thing. Ever since then I can't get warmed up to it.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:51 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by rpilot
... grotesquely ugly? As much as I love the 911's design and find the rest of the Porsche lineup acceptable or good, I just don't get what Porsche was thinking with this one.. Am I alone in this?

PS: I did not want to offend the Panamera faithful in their forum so I asked it in this forum. Besides, it is getting boring in here listening to price rants.
There's a lot of Panamera in the 991. From every angle.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:53 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

All I can say is drive the Panny GTS......amazing car...handles phenomenally well....I personally think the car is unique looking, an def a head turner in the right color combo.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:01 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by cole328
All I can say is drive the Panny GTS......amazing car...handles phenomenally well....I personally think the car is unique looking, an def a head turner in the right color combo.
Agree it has road presence and is a performer, but it sure is an an ugly bugger. Porsche could have done much better rather than try to blend the 911 into a 4 door saloon. It was never going to happen. The world critics have spoken as well. The jury says it's been hit with the ugly stick.

Last edited by speed21; 12-23-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:23 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by ADias
There's a lot of Panamera in the 991. From every angle.
A problem for the Pana, not the 991. Porsche just need to stop trying to make every car look like a 911. It's not working.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:55 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by solomonschris
I wish they would build a car like my A6 Avant, but with simplicity, real durability, performance and Porsche soul. At one end of the spectrum is the Porsche tractor, at the other....well that's a moving target, at the moment it is the 991 something or other S. I would like a Porsche closer to the tractor for my domestic needs. Sometimes all you want is durability, economy and safety, with just a bit of panache. Can't they be best at that too?
Ah, Sir. Great minds think alike sometimes.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:22 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 20 Posts

P'mera is indeed hideous from the rear 3/4 and in profile, not so bad from the front. Drives surprisingly well given its bulk, and I'm always struck by how LOW it is compared to other people haulers.

The new wagon concept looks far superior...
Old 12-23-2012, 11:30 PM
TSpyder
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

I was part of a Porsche focus group at the LA Auto Show a couple of weeks ago evaluating the hybrid sport-wagon version of the Panamera. My first comment at the discussion session following quality time with the prototype was "Thank god they cleaned up the *** end of that puppy!" They promised me that the video would not be posted on youtube

IMO this new version--hybrid aside--should have been the Panamera design all along. Very striking car that I could see as replacement for my old allroad or new Touareg. Have an open mind wrt the hybrid as well, but that will likely be beaucoup dinero.

Spyder
Old 12-24-2012, 01:09 AM
pyramid
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Panamera > 2 bad angles, side view and 45 degree angle from the back.
CLS > 3 bad angles, both 45 degree from the front and rear, and side view.
6GC > Doesn't really have a bad angles and the least for road presence.

I had owned PTT and can see myself having a 6GC. As for mercedes, their design langguage has gone wrong since W212, wih C218 (the cls) being the worst currently. To each its own.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:41 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
A problem for the Pana, not the 991. Porsche just need to stop trying to make every car look like a 911. It's not working.
I disagree. If you have followed PAG's designs since the water cooled area, each design piggy-backs on the previous launch of whatever line was just launched. The Cayenne 1.2's redesigned taillights appeared next on the 997.2, to give you just one example. The 991 at a distance, from many angles, is easily confused with a Panamera - some call it a little Panamera . I can tell any 11 at distance from the 901 on (and have lived with them all). YMMV.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:07 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
[...]some call it a little Panamera .[...]
Ooh, that's harsh.

But in keeping with the season, we'll forgive you. Merry Christmas, Tony.

Gary, off to drive his Panarerra to family tomorrow

Quick Reply: Who besides me finds the Panamera...