991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 base Carrera v Boxster S...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012 | 12:18 PM
Galion
Pro

Nah, I would take the Base 991 even if its much slower than a Boxster, there are plenty of less expensive cars faster than both Carrera models and still they cant compete with the 911 as a whole package.
Old 12-18-2012 | 12:47 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

I agree with Galion (at least I think I do.) People choose either a 911 or a Boxster for lots of different reasons besides a miniscule straight-line performance difference. The backseat/storage of a 911 is important to some, the track-ready 2 seater roadster aspect of the Boxster is what others want. It's been a known factor since the Cayman came out that it's been "kept in its place" horsepowerwise, but people still buy them because the handling/utility of that platform also has its virtues.
Buying any Porsche requires looking at the big picture, the mystique and the "all aroundness." As Galion said you can get any number of cheaper cars that will outpace anything below a Turbo in a straightline.
Old 12-18-2012 | 12:55 PM
rpilot
Pro

Originally Posted by Galion
Nah, I would take the Base 991 even if its much slower than a Boxster, there are plenty of less expensive cars faster than both Carrera models and still they cant compete with the 911 as a whole package.
+1
Old 12-18-2012 | 12:56 PM
rpilot
Pro

Originally Posted by mtbscott
I agree with Galion (at least I think I do.) People choose either a 911 or a Boxster for lots of different reasons besides a miniscule straight-line performance difference. The backseat/storage of a 911 is important to some, the track-ready 2 seater roadster aspect of the Boxster is what others want. It's been a known factor since the Cayman came out that it's been "kept in its place" horsepowerwise, but people still buy them because the handling/utility of that platform also has its virtues.
Buying any Porsche requires looking at the big picture, the mystique and the "all aroundness." As Galion said you can get any number of cheaper cars that will outpace anything below a Turbo in a straightline.
And +1
Old 12-18-2012 | 04:50 PM
spourreza
Pro

Originally Posted by mtbscott
+1. Not sure why the 0-60 thing became such a metric for performance especially for a p-car. But I have seen this referenced more now than ever before. CH reviewed the 981s versus Base 991 and he seemed to like the 991 much better on a track. Now it could be a different argument if you are comparing the 981s versus a 997.2.
Old 12-18-2012 | 05:10 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

I agree with this also.
Old 12-20-2012 | 06:39 PM
gjnockie
Intermediate

Originally Posted by neanicu
I'm sorry,what do you mean by ' the heads are different ' ?
Bigger valves, intake and exhaust ports.
Old 12-21-2012 | 10:50 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Interesting statement concerning this in the latest issue of Automobile magazine. It's actually a "preview" article about the 981 Cayman but I think it's the same core issue.

Article states the obvious, that the Cayman/Boxster horsepower level has purposely been held back to avoid cannabilizing sales from the 911. It goes on to say that's about to change as Porsche's own internal marketing surveys have revealed "there is very little overlap in buyers." Basically for whatever reason, 911 buyers buy 911's, and Cayman/Boxster buyers buy them. Cost, mid versus rear engine, tiny back seats in 911, 2 seater roadster, tradition, etc...are all factors that play into which car a buyer favors. Article states that Porsche intends to put out more versions of the 981 a la 911 variations this time around, don't be surprised to see a track ready version similar to the GT3 in the future, and will let the chips fall where they may.
Old 12-21-2012 | 02:22 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Having really enjoyed the Boxter S I had for a few years (between 911s) I always looked at it from the other half of the glass. I was pleased to have the shared suspension parts, wheels, transmissions, styling elements exterior and interior parts at a good discount- in a car that was so much fun to drive. It was a bit slower in acceleration and in a straight line, but not enough to matter in rational use. The handling (before the 991) was easier to go fast with safely in the twisties, too. I have no doubt that Porsche people are going to have to get over their old perceptions and prejudices about the diffferences and more into the advantages that each offers for their purposes.
Old 12-21-2012 | 03:22 PM
gjnockie
Intermediate

The Base 991 is NOT slower than any Boxster.
Old 12-21-2012 | 05:03 PM
Racer

...there are plenty of less expensive cars faster than both Carrera models and still they cant compete with the 911 as a whole package.
I'm w/ you. Otherwise just buy a C6 or an ECU'd 335i etc.

As an aside, really like Jethro Bovingdon's review - he's back at evo again. The Brits - CAR, evo, TG - do these so much better than the US mags.
Old 12-24-2012 | 11:50 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spourreza
Yah they also narrowed the price difference as well. You can build a Boxster S for over 80 grand. Add the Spyder and R upgrade, how much will they cost??? 90 grand???
They'll be in the $60k's without options, if they stick to the same playbook as 987 (and no performance options will be needed, except maybe Sport Chrono or PCCB, if you like).
Old 12-25-2012 | 10:06 PM
Jim 'n' SC
Racer

Had two Boxster's then bought a 997 Coupe. Now own a 981 Boxster. Each car has its plus and minus but in the end the Boxster is more fun at any price and for me that's why I have a sports car. It's not how fast it is or prestigious or being able to haul two little kids in the back seat. It's the smile it puts on my face everytime I drive it.
Old 12-25-2012 | 11:09 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by Jim 'n' SC
Had two Boxster's then bought a 997 Coupe. Now own a 981 Boxster. Each car has its plus and minus but in the end the Boxster is more fun at any price and for me that's why I have a sports car. It's not how fast it is or prestigious or being able to haul two little kids in the back seat. It's the smile it puts on my face everytime I drive it.
If you selected the model delete option, 99.9% of the public wouldn't know what kind of Porsche you were driving. Having test driven both the 981S and 991, I find that they are both outstanding sports cars. It's extraordinary what Porsche Engineering has done with the rear engine setup. Despite the natural advantages of the mid engine setup, the 991 more than holds up its own against the 981S.

In my case I more than likely will be opting for the 981S since I like top down driving, and I'm not willing to pay a $30K premium for a 991 convertible.
Old 12-29-2012 | 01:38 PM
Lexz
AutoX

Yesterday I did a second test drive of a 991 C and a 981 S. I found both great and surprisingly different in personality given how similar the pieces (essentially the same power to weight, tires, PDK, steering). My personal conclusion was that the 991 is a car that wants the driver to drive it hard. In fact when I had my 996 and took it on the track, it changed personality and what much happier than driving around densely populated NY/CT region. While I felt the 991 wanted me to push it, the 981 S was happier following my lead around winding roads at 40-50 mph. Clearly this comes down to where the car will be used and how. I started this search convinced I would purchase my second 911 and decided yesterday that the Boxster S is the better choice for me now given my desire to enjoy it daily around town and country are reasonable speeds.

Quick Reply: 991 base Carrera v Boxster S...