Sponsored by:

Light Design Package

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 01:14 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Light Design Package

Do the lights in the Light Design Package (the cool interior LEDs) behave just like a normal interior light? ie: turn on / off around opening /closing doors and start / stop times? What I am hoping is that they do not stay on while driving (even the footwell) otherwise I am going to have a hard time driving at night.

I forgot to check these out during my test drive and it was daylight hours anyway. I have ordered these and hope I do not regret it. Looking at rfong's recent pics prompted the question.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:19 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 457 Likes on 203 Posts

You can change the intensity of the interior lights. The best feature of this package are the awesome headlights. We live in a semi rural area lots of winding country roads. The lights move with the steering wheel. The hi beams are the best I have ever used. The fog setting is effective and the high speed headlight is amazing.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:26 PM
rpilot
Pro

Originally Posted by rnl
You can change the intensity of the interior lights. The best feature of this package are the awesome headlights. We live in a semi rural area lots of winding country roads. The lights move with the steering wheel. The hi beams are the best I have ever used. The fog setting is effective and the high speed headlight is amazing.
The intensity can be changed,sure but do they behave or can they be made to behave via PCM settings, like normal interior lights? Turn off when I start the car etc, etc.

Also why is it that the PDLS (swiveling lights) always assumed to be part of LDP (interior fancy lights) when these are two separate things. Granted in the US they are both only available as part of the Premium plus package.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:35 PM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on my car, it is like an airplane - the LEDs stay on all the time the car is on to provide some subtle interior lighting - I have no idea if this can be disabled, but I would be surprised if the low level lighting was a problem for anyone who could drive safely at night.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:44 PM
rpilot
Pro

Originally Posted by william_b_noble
but I would be surprised if the low level lighting was a problem for anyone who could drive safely at night.
For me its the visual distraction at night. I am beginning to not like Nav displays for just his reason. I usually dim them down way low.

I am really hoping there is an off setting when the car is in motion for this somewhere, although I would still like to have some interior light when getting in and out or starting/stopping the car.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:59 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There are two buttons with unique icons next to the driver and passenger map lights - sorry for the blurry photo, but the passenger side is the interior light disable button (will also disable map lights coming on during entry/exit). The driver's side button is the parking sensor audible silence.

I love the light design package and you can set the footwell LED's etc to be as dim or bright as you want in addition to this master on/off button.
Attached Images  
Old 12-29-2012, 05:57 PM
rpilot
Pro

So, if I understand correctly, it is only either everything all off or all on. In other words the Light Design Package cannot function like Map lights / Interior lights in other cars that turn on during stop / before start entry/ exit. The can be dimmed, but not off.. during driving... correct? and is that just the footwell or the overhead leds also?
Old 12-29-2012, 06:03 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

I believe that you can vary the led brightness by holding the button down, including all the way off. I have never found the ambient lighting at all bothersome, distracting or even noticeable when driving at night. There is just more going on on the dials, PCM and out there.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:17 PM
rpilot
Pro

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
I believe that you can vary the led brightness by holding the button down, including all the way off. I have never found the ambient lighting at all bothersome, distracting or even noticeable when driving at night. There is just more going on on the dials, PCM and out there.
Ok.. that sounds better, but will the overhead lights, etc. still come one when I stop the car, get in , etc?

To state it differently, if the led lights from the LDP are dimmed way down or even off, will those same lights or some other map lights / overhead lights still come on when I stop the car, when I get in etc. ? What I was really hoping for was those nice lights to all come on brightly when I get in the car and then go to off state when driving.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:17 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

I can turn everything off while driving and/or getting in and out of the car with the overhead master control. You have a light intensity setting for the LED interior Light Design Package lights, which goes up and down in percent. You can set it to zero percent or 100 percent. This is controlled by the smaller graphical menu display in the dashboard.

What I wish I could do is have the Light Design package light up upon entering the car without the overhead map lights coming on. I haven't figured that one out yet. When I disable the map lights, the whole system is off.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:22 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by rpilot
Ok.. that sounds better, but will the overhead lights, etc. still come one when I stop the car, get in , etc?

To state it differently, if the led lights from the LDP are dimmed way down or even off, will those same lights or some other map lights / overhead lights still come on when I stop the car, when I get in etc. ? What I was really hoping for was those nice lights to all come on brightly when I get in the car and then go to off state when driving.
Stop already. I am getting tired of going back and forth to the garage.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:28 PM
rpilot
Pro

Originally Posted by Nicoli35
I can turn everything off while driving and/or getting in and out of the car with the overhead master control. You have a light intensity setting for the LED interior Light Design Package lights, which goes up and down in percent. You can set it to zero percent or 100 percent. This is controlled by the smaller graphical menu display in the dashboard.

What I wish I could do is have the Light Design package light up upon entering the car without the overhead map lights coming on. I haven't figured that one out yet. When I disable the map lights, the whole system is off.
Now it becomes clearer.. let me recap what I have learned so I understand this correctly...

Master overhead control.. controls both overhead light / led design. Can be on or completely off.

If completely off, it will be dark even entering or after stopping the car.
If master is on, the overhead light operates independently of the led design lights. ie: the overhead light will be on at full when entering / stopping the car as normally would happen in a Porsche or another modern car. The led design lights can be 100% at this point or 0% (completely off), independant of the overhead light and they will stay that way as long as the car is operational.

So, basically the LED design package can be turned off with the intensity control and the car basically acts as if there was no LED pacakge, but the normal overhead lights work as they would including at entry /stop.

Assuming I have understood the above correctly, I agree with your assessment. What I understood when I ordered this as part of the Premium Package Plus was that the LED lights were in lieu of the overhead and they came on / off just like overheads, but more pleasantly or stylishly so to speak.

Thanks for all your help Nicoli.

@chuckbdc... Sir, you dont have to go to the garage, really. But I appreciate your input anyway. Thanks.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:40 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

I think we are getting there.

I wish I could control the intensity of the map lights - they are very bright if master is on. It washes out the rest of the Interior package upon entry/exit. I will try holding down the button like chuck suggested though! But I'm inside now too lol. later. cheers guys
Old 12-29-2012, 06:43 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they are not an issue for night driving & like you i tend to black out my PCM @ night if not needed. just a lot easier on my GTS - simple button whereas in the 991 it is an excersize of about 5 buttons.

Quick Reply: Light Design Package