Sponsored by:

A proper home?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 10:58 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by clembo
put in a heater so I can wax the 991 and bikes a few times, added closets to store all of my car junk, and the floors are an epoxy that looks nice. Also in back right is a bathroom, and I have a beer fridge, no need for the rest of the house, I may live above the garage.
ROFL
Old 12-16-2012, 01:21 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Chuck - Good luck with your transition to a 991, I love mine.

I just finished the walls and floor of my outside garage in the fall. I plan to spend the winter making it look good. I put in a heater so I can wax the 991 and bikes a few times, added closets to store all of my car junk, and the floors are an epoxy that looks nice. Also in back right is a bathroom, and I have a beer fridge, no need for the rest of the house, I may live above the garage.

Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout! Mine is plumbed for a sink. It would go just below the tire rack, which I won't be needing. Although I plan to track the car occasionally and autox a lot it will be on street tires. A large upright air compressor that's now in the shop on the other side of the wall in front of the car will move into the space below the tire rack, where it will make checking tire pressures a lot easier. Or maybe I should get a bottle of nitrogen instead???

Painting the floor- good idea. Product/brand ideas?
Old 12-16-2012, 01:26 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Chuck - Good luck with your transition to a 991, I love mine.

I just finished the walls and floor of my outside garage in the fall. I plan to spend the winter making it look good. I put in a heater so I can wax the 991 and bikes a few times, added closets to store all of my car junk, and the floors are an epoxy that looks nice. Also in back right is a bathroom, and I have a beer fridge, no need for the rest of the house, I may live above the garage.

And your spoiler clears the moat. Amazing!
Old 12-16-2012, 01:40 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Alstoy
I love your car too. Have you considered keeping it and getting a bum-basic 991 with an European Delivery? I couldn't part with a car like that. Besides, two Porsches are always better than one! Sorry to muddy things up, but thought I'd be honest. Cheers.
Its a possibility. The build I've been looking at includes X51, which alone is more than the SC. I could drop that and keep the SC and still save money. But I will be doing autos, and the X51 with its higher, smoother curve looks to be good for a couple tenths (one or two car lengths) which has been margin of victory more times than I care to remember. Besides, chuckbdc is right about those "selective memories." And sorry to say the ceiling is too low to put it up on a lift. We can only hope our cars retire from us only to move on to fulfill some other Porschephiles dream.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:48 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by f4 plt
Besides on the track it brings a smile to "show the way" in a car older than many of the drivers ( me not included by a long shot) You will miss it if you sell it and there are fewer and fewer of them around.
Yeah that is a sweet SC you got there. And I'm sure you've "shown the way" to more than a few on more than just the follow-me laps too. The SC falls right into the sweet spot where the car is still a very old/original design, yet it has enough performance able to more than keep up on the twisty bits if you really know what you're doing. But over the years, as the new cars improve, the definition of "twisty bits" this applies to has been getting awfully strained!
Old 12-16-2012, 01:57 PM
ThePartsMan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chuck911 & F4 Plt,

You have made me a jealous man. I truly covet your vehicles. Please provide a safe and happy home for each of those cars. Pamper them. Make sure you add in the climate control and night light.

Ahhhhh.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:01 PM
SiNi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My garage is stuffed with junk, hence the cover!

Old 12-16-2012, 02:08 PM
chuck911
Race Car

You should've seen mine a few months ago! I'd let the wife stack boxes so much you couldn't even get to the work bench. Moved all that onto some shelves I built in the shop. Its fully equipped, no trouble building custom cabinets, just seeking ideas for how it should look at this stage.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:56 PM
clembo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Painting the floor- good idea. Product/brand ideas?
Chuck - I had a guy who used a Benjamin Moore product to coat the floor. They had a machine that scored the cement before putting down the epoxy, it is supposed to bond much better than old methods. Only time will tell, it looks great, and is easy to clean.

I don't change tires (yet) for track or AX, but a lift might be next. You must have something already with all of your tires.

And yes, the spoiler does clear the moat My driveway runs downhill from the road so I had the moat put in when I built this garage, it does keep water out. And even with the gigantic size of the 991 I have been able to get in in my driveway and into the garage
Old 12-16-2012, 05:56 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Chuck - I had a guy who used a Benjamin Moore product to coat the floor. They had a machine that scored the cement before putting down the epoxy, it is supposed to bond much better than old methods. Only time will tell, it looks great, and is easy to clean.

I don't change tires (yet) for track or AX, but a lift might be next. You must have something already with all of your tires.

And yes, the spoiler does clear the moat My driveway runs downhill from the road so I had the moat put in when I built this garage, it does keep water out. And even with the gigantic size of the 991 I have been able to get in in my driveway and into the garage
You should make a video and enter to win the Everyday Porsche contests. Easy win in the Fording the Moat category.

The SC has that nifty center of gravity lift point. Pop an attachment in and lift one side in seconds. Believe it or not I never even used power tools but would change all 4 wheels and brake pads with everything put away in 35 min. Have certainly thought about a lift, surprisingly affordable, but ultimately take up more room than I feel is worth it. I'll not be working on suspensions, or even valves (thank God eh, chuck? ) like I did with the SC.

Good question though, makes me wonder, will I be wanting to get under there all that often? Aside from obsessive detailing I mean.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:27 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

You should make a video and enter to win the Everyday Porsche contests. Easy win in the Fording the Moat category.

The SC has that nifty center of gravity lift point. Pop an attachment in and lift one side in seconds. Believe it or not I never even used power tools but would change all 4 wheels and brake pads with everything put away in 35 min. Have certainly thought about a lift, surprisingly affordable, but ultimately take up more room than I feel is worth it. I'll not be working on suspensions, or even valves (thank God eh, chuck? ) like I did with the SC.

Good question though, makes me wonder, will I be wanting to get under there all that often? Aside from obsessive detailing I mean.
Chuck, there is no longer a center point jack fixture (you will miss the slip in tool) but the 991 is so stiff that you will be amazed to find the entire side up in air when jacking from either jack pad. Underneath you will get to remove all sorts of panels before you find anything to mess around with! On the other hand, the front radiator intakes are perfect leaf catchers so add that to the checklist!
Old 12-16-2012, 07:29 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
Option 1 Order the 991 but keep the Sc. I enjoy my 997 it is comfortable and quick with all the modern toys, BUT I would not part with my rather raw but most enjoyable Sc. they are different but at the same time complement each other. Besides on the track it brings a smile to "show the way" in a car older than many of the drivers ( me not included by a long shot)
+1, I would sell whatever you have to in order to keep this classic, at least till you see how in love you are with the new one!
Old 12-16-2012, 07:36 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 165 Posts

Here is my garage; I like to think that it has....uh potential
Jim
Attached Images  
Old 12-16-2012, 09:01 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

[...]The choices now are: keep the SC; accept massive compromises in buying a newer used 911; or order exactly what I want and drive it all over Germany before bringing it home. Only one of these fulfills my lifelong dream, and explains why I started hanging out here trying to learn everything I can before taking the plunge, so guess which one I'm working on?

Which brings me back to the OP. C'mon guys, lets see those garage pics!
We had a lot of cars I really felt part of over the years, with the highlights being our MG Midget in the early days and a second-gen NSX to start the new century. But one reason I felt part of them is leaving my skin and blood on their inner parts. I love the memories but I wouldn't take any of them back in place of my 991. And I know people smile at a nice SC that someone else keeps happy but they smile at my 991 too. In fact, it's the first car since that MG that draws a smile from flaggers at construction zones when they wave at me to carry on.

As for garages... Sheez. You guys make me feel terrible. I feel like Cinderella at the ball who has to go home to haul her ashes. Maybe I should move into the Hyatt La Jolla and grab that spot Chuck took a snap of two weeks ago.

Gary
Old 12-16-2012, 10:08 PM
chuck911
Race Car

About like mine, especially before putting in shelves. These were done 20 years ago, long before I ever dreamed there'd be a 911 in there, and on a budget so using mostly recycled leftover lumber from a remodel. Perfectly functional, looks like ....

Want to cover that mess with some doors, and (ideally) cover the doors with some old Porsche calendar pages, like these.

Now how do you make the pictures go between the text?
Anyway, the wall here above the SC needs to be completely redone to include storage on the wall above the car. (Curves ahead lawfully purchased from AABCO Barricade! )

Last edited by chuck911; 01-28-2014 at 06:52 PM.

Quick Reply: A proper home?