Sponsored by:

991's direct competitors in today's market

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 08:46 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by holminator
C63 BS is interesting but the gearbox needs to be sorted out (too slow or uneven performance even in manual mode). The engine is also in the wrong place and too big (omg, I said it). Kind of overweight too at about 3,700 lbs.
Wait... there's a car that's BIGGER than the 991??????!
Old 12-14-2012, 09:00 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 359 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Wait... there's a car that's BIGGER than the 991??????!
NO!
The 991 is the BIGGEST because it can't fit in my bicycle driveway!
Old 12-14-2012, 10:44 PM
Buddhabelly
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Strictly regarding the GT-R, I definitely think it's more than comparable. You asked for price, performance and usability competition to the 991. Then you dismissed the GT-R on something purely subjective like... look?

Originally Posted by neanicu
Aston I just don't know...don't think so...
Audi R8 is very nice,but in terms of usability not really...
SL...no way! Handles like a boat compared to the 991,2 seats.
M6...just No! Much heavier,don't think the cornering comes even close to a 991...although I must admit I haven't driven one.
GTR...don't even want to go there...big,ugly,Playstation interior.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:15 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Buddhabelly
Strictly regarding the GT-R, I definitely think it's more than comparable. You asked for price, performance and usability competition to the 991. Then you dismissed the GT-R on something purely subjective like... look?
Of course that was just my personal opinion...
Please feel free,as this is an open thread to tell us yours.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:49 AM
Buddhabelly
Advanced

Originally Posted by neanicu
Of course that was just my personal opinion...
Please feel free,as this is an open thread to tell us yours.
I can tell you this... I had a 993 and a ZR1 as 2 seater sports cars. The ZR1 ran circles around the P car. It has so much torque it could have started from dig in 3rd gear and still beat the P. It was SO MUCH lighter and nimble. It was more spacious and it sounded GREAT. I sold both because I started not enjoying getting in and out of low slung cars.

A year ago I thought I wanted to get back into a 2 seater. I drove a 2009 and a 2012 GT-R extensively. The 2012 was BY FAR the fastest car I've ever driven. I felt like it anticipated my thought and moved before I. Rougher riding than the ZR1 and 993. Fascinating, I mean absolutely fascinating driver's controller system. I loved the look. Godzilla. Love the masculine curves. Best performing car and oh so visceral. Almost as primal as my Chevelle LS6 (which is a BEAST LIKE NO OTHER). I love that 2012 GT-R and everything it could do, but it almost killed my back and almost put in in traction. I am afraid there will never be another low slung 2 seater. Not even an Aventador.

Now I know the 991 is much better than a 993. My wife wanted one in 7MT so we ordered one and it should be here mid Jan. (fingers crossed). She tested drove one (I declined multiple offers to drive) and said it's more nimble than my current AMG (duh!) but not faster. Much more refined than our 993 and ZR1, but performance wise, not even close to the ZR1.

So to me, GT-R > ZR1 and if the Corvette is better performance wise, price wise, versatility wise (it got 21mph avg.) better than a 991, then I think the GT-R is more than an adequate competitor to the 991.

Everything else, looks, interior, prestige... are purely subjective. Your OP asked for a worthy competition to the 991 based on price, performance, and usability. I would surmise that a ZR1 or GT-R are absolutely capable and worthy competitors.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:23 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

I can tell you this...

So to me, GT-R > ZR1 and if the Corvette is better performance wise, price wise, versatility wise (it got 21mph avg.) better than a 991, then I think the GT-R is more than an adequate competitor to the 991.
Wow! Wait for the flames.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:44 AM
pfijcali
Track Day

In this price point ($100K), there really isn't anything available that compares to the 991. I considered the new Cayman S, the Mercedes CLS63 AMG, and the Audi R8 (V8). But in the end, I found a 2012 991S at a great price and all the right specs, so I pulled the trigger on it. In retrospect, i don't think I could have brought myself to buy anything other than the 991S or new Cayman S.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:38 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

The ZR1 ran circles around the P car
Were these tire-smoking out of control circles?
Old 12-15-2012, 01:09 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

My intended use of the 991 would be for daily driving. Therefore, I would consider:

1. Cayenne - My choice for now due to spatial and potential towing needs
2. C63 BS - I've never driven it so I don't have a feeling for it as a DD.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:08 AM
TheLex
Instructor

Not to threadjack, but I'm in the market for a sporty performance car. I've had a '85 911 Targa that put the Porsche bug into me, but at the same time that car put the fear of God into me with it's wet weather potential to pirouette. I then moved on to two Mercedes R129 "sport" models. I still have a 2000 R129 with only 17k miles. I only keep it around because that one was a hand me down from my father and it has sentimental value. But I don't drive it much because it's just not that exciting.

The next generation MBZ roadster was much improved. In 2009 MBZ came out with the SL63 which seems to be a different animal. Yes, it's a heavy car and it's no track monkey. But for a comfortable and sporty car, it does a pretty decent job.

But I also pine for a 991 or 997.2. I'm not one who has the time nor the desire to track the car. I just want a well built sporty car that I can have fun in, but doesn't beat me up the way that old Targa did. Has anyone owned both a SL63 and 997/991 and can they post their impressions? Thanks!
Old 12-18-2012, 09:18 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TheLex
Not to threadjack, but I'm in the market for a sporty performance car. I've had a '85 911 Targa that put the Porsche bug into me, but at the same time that car put the fear of God into me with it's wet weather potential to pirouette. I then moved on to two Mercedes R129 "sport" models. I still have a 2000 R129 with only 17k miles. I only keep it around because that one was a hand me down from my father and it has sentimental value. But I don't drive it much because it's just not that exciting.

The next generation MBZ roadster was much improved. In 2009 MBZ came out with the SL63 which seems to be a different animal. Yes, it's a heavy car and it's no track monkey. But for a comfortable and sporty car, it does a pretty decent job.

But I also pine for a 991 or 997.2. I'm not one who has the time nor the desire to track the car. I just want a well built sporty car that I can have fun in, but doesn't beat me up the way that old Targa did. Has anyone owned both a SL63 and 997/991 and can they post their impressions? Thanks!
The best thing to do is drive them both. I'm pretty sure you'll notice the difference right away. The SL is a very nice luxurious hardtop,that comes with a lot of power to be used on a straight line mostly. Drive it to the limit on a curvy road and you will feel the heavy stiff chassis not responding like a sports car. It is pretty much an SL 550 with a better engine.
Driving the 991,you can't feel a difference between the handling of a cab and a coupe.
It is a true sports car that you can drive daily,won't complain if pushed to the limit on a road or track and a lot lot lot more fun than the SL!
The 997.2 is a brilliant sports car as well if you decide to go that route.
You should definitely post this question on the Mercedes forums,just so you can hear opinions on the other side too. I own an AMG and there are really good people on those forums,some of them are Porsche owners.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:01 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by certified_prime
The 991 is the "jack of all trades" in the sports car market, and surprisingly gets close to "master" in almost every category. Pretty iconic...

My wife felt that the 911 was the only sports car she'd allow, as it was not a "statement" car, but exactly what a practical person would buy if they wanted the perfect driving car.
+1

AND still be running (very) strong 20+ years later! What other pure sports car is built as strong as a 911?
Can't wait to buy my 997.2 GT3...in about 10 years.

One weekend on a family trip...the next weekend at the track. (23 years old and running strong as hell!)

Last edited by 911Jetta; 12-18-2012 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Deleted some "!"S. Realized I used an exclamation point at the end of each sentence. Sorry, I love these cars! Ha.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:26 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gjnockie
The Vette is a piece of crap. GM just bought back a 2013 I had. It was that bad. I had a momentary lapse of insanity when I purchased it.
Agreed. They are not in the same league as any 911, present or past.

Generally a much lower social class dreams of and buys Vettes; as noticed through years of observation. Typically purchased by the same people who buy Mustangs and Camaros. Nothing wrong with that, however, a comparison cannot be made.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:04 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

You are going to have your perception of versatility adjusted when you start living with and seeing the mileage in your 991. If you value combined performance, livability and practicality (and don't stuff anyone in the back too often), there is no competition.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:18 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
What other pure sports car is built as strong as a 911?!
That is why I love them.

Quick Reply: 991's direct competitors in today's market