Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991's direct competitors in today's market

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 01:40 PM
docmalone
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with the opening post 100%. You can compare all day long to the price range of 100k to 200K and there isn't anything close.
Porsche has really made the 991 a niche car.
I have owned an XKR and it is like driving my grandma's car. It looks great but is just a flashy sedan with tiny back seats.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:44 PM
certified_prime
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 991 is the "jack of all trades" in the sports car market, and surprisingly gets close to "master" in almost every category. Pretty iconic. Most of the other cars mentioned all pick one or two areas to Master and then focus second on the remaining attributes.

My wife felt that the 911 was the only sports car she'd allow, as it was not a "statement" car, but exactly what a practical person would buy if they wanted the perfect driving car.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:45 PM
clembo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't really think it has any direct competitors. The ones listed may compete in a similar price category, but not for the versitilty of a 991.

What I mean is that I don't think any other car in the world is capable of allowing the driver to get in, drive comfortably to a race track, then take the car on the track and kick ***, then, stop to buy groceries and things at Lowe's on the way home to get the wife, then drive her to dinner in it, and have the valet park it in the front row.

Pretty good day, no competition.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:07 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

If I wanted a sports/GT car for a daily driver and occasional track days for $100-120k, the C63 BS would be my first choice. Covers all of the bases clembo outlines (as does the R8, but I think it is ugly), and you wouldn't see yourself coming and going on the streets of LA. But as the window is quickly closing on that, I would look hard at the 991S, M6, and Vantage V8. Granted you won't win your local DE in an M6 and Vantage, but they would still be entertaining. I would look at the GTR, as you have to respect the astonishing performance, and they continue to improve driver feedback.

None of them are perfect, but perhaps the 991GTS will hit the sweet spot for me...
Old 12-14-2012, 03:14 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

C63 BS is interesting but the gearbox needs to be sorted out (too slow or uneven performance even in manual mode). The engine is also in the wrong place and too big (omg, I said it). Kind of overweight too at about 3,700 lbs.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:24 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
If I wanted a sports/GT car for a daily driver and occasional track days for $100-120k, the C63 BS would be my first choice. Covers all of the bases clembo outlines (as does the R8, but I think it is ugly), and you wouldn't see yourself coming and going on the streets of LA. But as the window is quickly closing on that, I would look hard at the 991S, M6, and Vantage V8. Granted you won't win your local DE in an M6 and Vantage, but they would still be entertaining. I would look at the GTR, as you have to respect the astonishing performance, and they continue to improve driver feedback.

None of them are perfect, but perhaps the 991GTS will hit the sweet spot for me...
The C63 AMG Black Series,really?
When thinking about that car,I can't help but remembering Jeremy Clarkson(who actually owns one and hates Porsche BTW),that said the AMG division of Mercedes gave the C63 BS a suspension that is basically undriveable on the street.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:33 PM
SB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by draxa
If I was a buyer (and I guess I was 'cause I just bought mine), the cars I would be interested in as alternatives would be - in this order;

1) Aston V8
2) Audi R8
3) Mercedes SL
4) BMW M6
5) Nissan GTR
The list shrinks very quickly if you have to have a manual transmission. That pretty much leaves R8 on the list. If you need a usable (for kids) rear seat in addition, then you're basically talking about M3 (m5 is way to big and heavy), or audi RS cars, which are heavy set ....
Old 12-14-2012, 04:04 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by clembo
I don't really think it has any direct competitors. The ones listed may compete in a similar price category, but not for the versitilty of a 991.

What I mean is that I don't think any other car in the world is capable of allowing the driver to get in, drive comfortably to a race track, then take the car on the track and kick ***, then, stop to buy groceries and things at Lowe's on the way home to get the wife, then drive her to dinner in it, and have the valet park it in the front row.

Pretty good day, no competition.
I don't think this is fair or true. Most of the comments here seem to be from the heart rather than reality. I love my 991, but there are plenty of reasonable alternatives. Not only the others mentioned here, but also cheaper cars like the M3 or the RS5. They may not be quite as quick around the track, but both are far more practical for the other 99% of the time you're driving. They're also crazy fast on their own.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:35 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

M3 and Cayman were the two others I considered.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:26 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
I don't think this is fair or true. Most of the comments here seem to be from the heart rather than reality. I love my 991, but there are plenty of reasonable alternatives. Not only the others mentioned here, but also cheaper cars like the M3 or the RS5. They may not be quite as quick around the track, but both are far more practical for the other 99% of the time you're driving. They're also crazy fast on their own.
A Boxter S or Cayman S would be my next choice if I had to buy a substitute with my own $$. I would not turn down an Aston V8 or possibly the new Jag 2 seater if I had to buy it with yours.

An M3 or RS5 would do just fine if I wanted a hot sedan instead of a sports car, on my list right behind a Panamera GTS.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:35 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
The C63 AMG Black Series,really?
When thinking about that car,I can't help but remembering Jeremy Clarkson(who actually owns one and hates Porsche BTW),that said the AMG division of Mercedes gave the C63 BS a suspension that is basically undriveable on the street.
The C63 BS (as well as the CLK63 BS that JC has/had) has a fully adjustable coil-over suspension. I have not driven one, but firm though it may be, I prefer analog to digital.

JC is entitled to his opinions, and I actually respect them (despite his reputation, he actually has more favorable comments than not about Porsche). Others have raved about the C63 BS, and the engine is amazing. It is a special car; the special versions of the 991 are yet to come, and will be significantly more expensive. If I could justify a C63 BS in the family motor pool, I would have one.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:36 PM
oldman40
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fantastic compilation of competitors! totally agree with all the suggestions. beware: contributors of this thread are in danger of becoming the "mutual admiration society" of 911s, since undoubtedly we are all biased toward the singularly greatest overall sports car in the world (oops there i fell into my own trap!).

to brings some sense of parity, i think what makes this comparison so hard is that the 991 is attractive to 3 distinct markets: 1. exotic super car buyers (money no object), 2. high end daily drivers (lifestyle, prestige, fun), and 3. racing purists (sport).

nearly all of the choices mentioned fail to span all 3 categories as well as the 911 does.

they mostly have elements of only one or 2 categories. ferraris are garage queens, merc, jag, and M6 not exotic enough (every dotcommer, doctor, or lawyer in town drives one), nissan (helluva car) lacks true exotic super car mystique or an entrenched half century history of racing, aston vantage really not a dd, though much more able than the db9.

IMO the maserati gt and the R8 are the only ones that meet these criteria like the 911. but somehow these alternatives are totally different animals than the 991. having looked at both of them seriously for purchase, (wonderful vehicles!) i found them a bit too flashy for my taste, awkward as real world dd's, and frankly, and this is just my opinion, just missing that uber-masculine quality that draws people to the 911. there, i said it.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:26 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

The biggest competitors of 991 are the new Boxster S and Cayman S if I'm shopping for a new sport car now. Otherwise, any pre-owned GT3/RS/Turbo are its potential competitors.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:42 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by certified_prime
My wife felt that the 911 was ... exactly what a practical person would buy if they wanted the perfect driving car.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:45 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
The biggest competitors of 991 are the new Boxster S and Cayman S if I'm shopping for a new sport car now. Otherwise, any pre-owned GT3/RS/Turbo are its potential competitors.
Interesting, I was thinking of stepping up to a lightly used 991 or GTS when the lease on my Cayman S is up next year, but may consider the new Cayman or even buying mine off lease if I can get the dealer to do a pass through and certify it.

Quick Reply: 991's direct competitors in today's market