Sponsored by:

My Final(?) Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 03:15 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 991Dreamer
Good to see the comments on the ventilated seats. Where I live in CA it gets hot (many days of triple digits in the summer) but no humidity. Sweaty back is more of a problem with the leather than the standard seats? I am not 100% sold on the leather at this point.

So they way I read this so far is that there is really not much trimming left to be done.
The standard seats are not cloth, just partial leather or cheap leather and pleather combo, so they will still stick. I edited my earlier post. I hope it helps in some way to make your decision.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:34 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Look at a car with the smoking package. There is still a place for coins, etc. Not as big so if you're planning on the occasional fill up from loose change you'll be disappointed. But in all my years of driving I've never needed more volume than you'll get with the package- nor have I ever seen such a neat and cool looking ashtray! Why its an injustice to even call the thing an ashtray!
Old 12-12-2012, 03:50 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts

The AC circulation in the 911 isn't great. The vents are pretty small so in order aid the circulation, I strongly suggest vented seats.
Headrest emblems are pointless, unless you have eyes in the back of your head.
PSE is worth it. You will not regret it.
Smokers package is a much neater look that the hole in the center console - One of my regrets..

If you're going to spend $100k on a car, it would be crazy to sell yourself short for $1200.
Worst case, split the difference with the dealership. No harm in asking.

You will be surprised how willing they are to work with you.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:55 PM
991Dreamer
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm right there with you on a few extra bucks when we're at this level. $1200 in and of itself is not that much but I feel the Mrs. has been patient with my "indulgence" so far and I really think that to keep the peace, $100k has to be my upper limit. After all, when momma ain't happy...
Old 12-12-2012, 04:07 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Standard coverings for seated surfaces are leather. The "extra" leather you're adding is the backs of the seats and a few other surfaces around the interior, it will not change the seating surface.
Sounds to me like you've got a great build for you. Someone else's "must have" shouldn't matter to you at this point. (Although I'd get manual, but that's just me.) Enjoy your ride.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:11 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

I don't know about your flexibility, but i cannot swivel far enough around to see the crested headrests while driving, and just barely know they are there even when (be quiet Garry) running a hand over the leather. Cool butt and cool exhaust sound however, i would find a way to keep.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:23 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Good to see the comments on the ventilated seats. Where I live in CA it gets hot (many days of triple digits in the summer) but no humidity. Sweaty back is more of a problem with the leather than the standard seats? I am not 100% sold on the leather at this point.

So they way I read this so far is that there is really not much trimming left to be done. But...

If I go with the 14 way seats in standard instead of leather, while keeping the ventilation, my out the door costs comes to $100,220 and I'm sure I can get the dealer to knock off $220 more. Only question is if any of you feel strongly that not having leather is a mistake or is it really just personal preference. Would love to hear all sides of the argument.
It's all leather. The leather you originally specified is better than the base leather for this question. I do think it's a mistake to order the base leather. I had it on my 997 and always regretted the feel seeming inappropriate for a car of this quality. Mind you, I'd have nothing but the cheapest vinyl on a car intended on track use, because I'd be pulling it out immediately to replace it with some foam-covered carbon-fiber shell of a track seat. It's appropriate for Porsche to offer it as the starting point, but a personal road car needs leather that reminds you how nice it is every time you get in. The base leather isn't that.

Personally, I never use my PSE except at tracks. The 997 exhaust note was too muted and I wished for PSE on that car. With this car, it just embarrasses me to open the PSE anywhere except at a track where we all make a lot of noise. It sounds great, it's just ... well, it would be like carrying a boom box into a fine restaurant. Great sound, just inappropriate most places. I want the people who see me going by to think "what a pretty car that was" not "wow, is that exhaust annoying or what?" The standard exhaust note of a 991 Carrera is lovely to car people and acceptable to the rest of the world. The PSE is... over the top anywhere but a track. My taste of course.

I live in the Mojave Desert, and it is tolerable without vented seats, but it sure is better with them. A build sheet is a personal expression of taste, but with your goals and your wife's, I would remove PSE, add vented seats, and keep the nicer leather. And chuckle all the way to the bank about getting a great car for less than $100k.

Gary
Old 12-12-2012, 04:25 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mtbscott
Standard coverings for seated surfaces are leather. The "extra" leather you're adding is the backs of the seats and a few other surfaces around the interior, it will not change the seating surface.
Sounds to me like you've got a great build for you. Someone else's "must have" shouldn't matter to you at this point. (Although I'd get manual, but that's just me.) Enjoy your ride.
No, they do change the grade of leather when you order more of it. Honest. Walk around a dealer and run your hands over the choices when the sales manager isn't looking.

Gary
Old 12-12-2012, 04:27 PM
991Dreamer
Instructor

Not being swayed out of MY must haves at all. FWIW they are PDK, PSE, and Sunroof. Just asking for input on those options I am either lightly or strongly considering. Will be a great car no matter how I configure it and all these comments are really helping me decide what is just short of a must have and what can be left off. In the fine tuning phase right now. Will be putting my order in tomorrow.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:33 PM
991Dreamer
Instructor

Thanks Gary. In re: to PSE, I agree with you to a degree and would leave it off if ordering the S like yours. Without having heard a C2 yet with or without PSE, my feeling is that the C2 should have it. Maybe that will change when I get to hear one on the base 991. Plus the temptation to wake bad neighbors up early in the morning may be just too great to resist.

Last edited by 991Dreamer; 12-12-2012 at 04:33 PM. Reason: addition
Old 12-12-2012, 04:36 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Thanks Gary. In re: to PSE, I agree with you to a degree and would leave it off if ordering the S like yours. Without having heard a C2 yet with or without PSE, my feeling is that the C2 should have it. Maybe that will change when I get to hear one on the base 991. Plus the temptation to wake bad neighbors up early in the morning may be just too great to resist.
Good points both!
Old 12-12-2012, 04:52 PM
991Dreamer
Instructor

Am also considering upgrading to Premium Pkg Plus for a net gain of $870. Comments on the Entry & Drive all seem to be positive except the one I saw stating concern that a would be thief might think the key was left in the ignition (not to mention Gary's issues with parking valets). Haven't seen too many comments on the Dynamic Light System though.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:11 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts

Comments on the Entry & Drive all seem to be positive except the one I saw stating concern that a would be thief might think the key was left in the ignition (not to mention Gary's issues with parking valets). .
The Dummy key can be removed without affecting the functionality of keyless entry and touching the frunk to unlock.
I removed mine last night as I couldn't find a place stow my key while driving.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:15 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Am also considering upgrading to Premium Pkg Plus for a net gain of $870. Comments on the Entry & Drive all seem to be positive except the one I saw stating concern that a would be thief might think the key was left in the ignition (not to mention Gary's issues with parking valets). Haven't seen too many comments on the Dynamic Light System though.
I got the dynamic lighting as a side-effect, but I like it. Very effective system. I don't think a thief would be fooled about the dummy widget being a real key, but it doesn't matter. Turning it does nothing unless the real key is nearby. If someone thought it might create extra temptation, I also disagree. Car thieves know which cars they want and don't much care about keys one way or the other.

Gary
Old 12-12-2012, 06:57 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

PLDS is a very worthwhile addition especially on the sort of roads I enjoy most.

Entry and Drive is not having to go through pockets or worry about where the key is. I like it.

Not sure what package it is with but the enhanced interior lighting, like full leather, makes the car very inviting to be in- to me as a important part of Porsche as performance.

Re full leather- as Gary points out, there is a tactile difference between standard and special leathers. The dark natural brown and the red both look and feel "special", and more traditional. The standards use a different tanning/dying process that has somehow a "harder" or more modern finish. It is subtle and I think the quality is the same. Personally I think I would be swayed by the color I wanted.

Quick Reply: My Final(?) Build