Sponsored by:

My Final(?) Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 01:12 PM
991Dreamer
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My Final(?) Build

Thanks for all of your input over the past week or two. Below is what I believe will be my final build pending any comments/suggestions you have.

2013 Carrera 2

White

Black Leather ($1555)

PDK ($4080)

Electric Sunroof ($1490)

Sport Exhaust ($2950)

Multi Function Steering Wheel ($615)

Premium Pkg ($2940)

Power Steering Plus ($270)

14-Way Power Seats ($0)

Smoking Pkg ($0)

All comments/suggestions are welcome!
Old 12-12-2012, 01:21 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks good for the objectives you had stated earlier. I would consider adding ventilated seats (since I do not believe the premium package has them, only the premium plus). They are great in any weather as a nice comfort option.

Also (and I think I am alone in this opinion here) consider leaving out the smoking package unless you really plan to smoke in the car. The cubbyhole is a nice place to put change, receipts or little things that life throws your way, even if it does not look as "finished" as the smoking package.

Good luck.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:37 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rpilot
Looks good for the objectives you had stated earlier. I would consider adding ventilated seats (since I do not believe the premium package has them, only the premium plus). They are great in any weather as a nice comfort option.

Also (and I think I am alone in this opinion here) consider leaving out the smoking package unless you really plan to smoke in the car. The cubbyhole is a nice place to put change, receipts or little things that life throws your way, even if it does not look as "finished" as the smoking package.

Good luck.
No, you're not alone. I would suggest looking at examples each way because i rather enjoy the open cubbyhole in this car in lieu of the useless ashtray in my 997.

Otherwise, I agree. It will be an elegant car. What is the classic expression? An elegant sufficiency in all ways.

Gary
Old 12-12-2012, 01:42 PM
991Dreamer
Instructor

This is why your feedback is so important. I was getting the Smoking Pkg only to be able to put coins in because I was under the impression that without it, there was just a flat smooth surface there.

Last edited by 991Dreamer; 12-12-2012 at 01:43 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 12-12-2012, 01:54 PM
docmalone
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I am sure you will love it; glad to see you got the multifunction steering wheel, I love mine (I did not have this in my 997 and really wanted it)
And I can attest that I have been more than happy with the steering feel and I do not have power steering plus.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:59 PM
991Dreamer
Instructor

doc-so no problems with lower speed steering then? Main reason I was considering it.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:02 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I will third the ventilated seats. IMO they are a must have option on any car. Your car looks nice and simple.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:05 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

I have the "smoking pkg" and my buddy doesn't, and having the cover vs a cubby hole is really no big deal either way.
I got it mainly for the concept of Porsche actually giving away something for FREE! They probably could have charged say, $270 for the option, and some people would have paid to get it!
Old 12-12-2012, 02:05 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 125 Posts

IMHO, Sport Chorno package should be included seeing you've splashed out on PDK?

Last edited by duxsi; 12-12-2012 at 02:24 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-12-2012, 02:11 PM
rpilot
Pro

Originally Posted by 991Dreamer
doc-so no problems with lower speed steering then? Main reason I was considering it.
Both the cars I test drove did not have Power Steering Plus and I did not see that I was missing anything. I can't say how much lighter the car would have felt at lower speeds, but I think it is not a necessity for any 911 driver. And you are driving the 5 series now, so it should not be inconvenient in any way. Really, take the money you save there and add around $500 and get the ventilated seats, even if your dealer does not have one to try. You will not regret it.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:18 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

That is going to be a fine - and fun - ride. I would reconsider power steering plus - the regular steering is not at all "heavy" for slow speeds or parking, and consider the vented seats, which make for a pleasing, er, "contact patch" especially on longer trips.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:38 PM
991Dreamer
Instructor

Ok, so let's say I ditch the Power Steering Plus and add the Seat Ventilation. Net cost is $570. This puts my out the door price, after dealer discount and tax and license at $101,155 (this is CA afterall; high tax and license rate. Wish I had a place in Oregon for the purpose of this purchase).

The Mrs. has STRONGLY hinted that she would like the car to be under $100k (hence no S). Any suggestions on how to get $1200 off the price other than to have the dealer discount it more which I will certainly try. Discount is already about 5%.

Also, anybody have any comments on the Crest on the Headrest ($285) with the black leather? Is it even noticable?

Last edited by 991Dreamer; 12-12-2012 at 02:40 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 12-12-2012, 02:59 PM
rpilot
Pro

Originally Posted by 991Dreamer
Ok, so let's say I ditch the Power Steering Plus and add the Seat Ventilation. Net cost is $570. This puts my out the door price, after dealer discount and tax and license at $101,155 (this is CA afterall; high tax and license rate. Wish I had a place in Oregon for the purpose of this purchase).

The Mrs. has STRONGLY hinted that she would like the car to be under $100k (hence no S). Any suggestions on how to get $1200 off the price other than to have the dealer discount it more which I will certainly try. Discount is already about 5%.

Also, anybody have any comments on the Crest on the Headrest ($285) with the black leather? Is it even noticable?
You are at 5%, so I would not expect too much more, but try hard and you should get it. I would not add anything more like headrest logos if you are really trying to meet that price point. Honestly, I would ditch the PSE if that is the case, but I know you want it and I personally do not care for it. The noisemaker is nice if you like it, but you probably will only use it now and then.... the ventilated seats you and Mrs. will enjoy every day of the year. You might be even able to add the glass sunroof for another $500 and I promise you, will love taking your wife out for a drive on a cool night under the stars with the glass roof.

But then again, I don't know much so feel free to ignore me..

Last edited by rpilot; 12-12-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:59 PM
docmalone
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

My experience so far is no problems or complaints whatsoever on steering at any speed. I do a lot of manuevering around our motor court at less than 5 mph and it is great as is.
As for ventilated seats, I love them, but I live in Texas.
If you have ever gotten that sticky back sweat against your leather seat in the summer you will be a ventilated seat lover forever. This may not be an issue in California.
The crests are great, but are one of those options "just for you" to enjoy, no loss at all if you are shaving cost.
Never hurts to print off your spec sheet and ask if you can shake hands on 100K even!
Old 12-12-2012, 03:11 PM
991Dreamer
Instructor

Good to see the comments on the ventilated seats. Where I live in CA it gets hot (many days of triple digits in the summer) but no humidity. Sweaty back is more of a problem with the leather than the standard seats? I am not 100% sold on the leather at this point.

So they way I read this so far is that there is really not much trimming left to be done. But...

If I go with the 14 way seats in standard instead of leather, while keeping the ventilation, my out the door costs comes to $100,220 and I'm sure I can get the dealer to knock off $220 more. Only question is if any of you feel strongly that not having leather is a mistake or is it really just personal preference. Would love to hear all sides of the argument.

Last edited by 991Dreamer; 12-12-2012 at 03:39 PM. Reason: addition

Quick Reply: My Final(?) Build