Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My final 991 configuration and C2 vs C2S test drive impressions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 10:56 AM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Be careful what you wish for. I have a Audi A6 supercharged 3 liter V6 as a loaner while my "changeover valves" are being changed over (eurika, now I understand why they named them...).

It has a long stroke (and small pistons) and with forced induction makes the same horsepower as a good V6 3.0 sedan with an over square motor. But it makes far more torque- something like 325 foot pounds - as much as a 991CS - at relatively low RPM (2-4K). It is well insulated and is thus flat out surprisingly very quick without having to be reved. The suspension is quite good- and it has modes ranging from comfort to performance optimizing (that you can set the computer to select or do manually).

So it is quiet and stealthy (being styled like a shaved bar of soap) the highest performance appliance I have ever driven.
I agree. I test drove the A6 3.0T in summer when I seriously considered it as a replacement for my 535i, before just deciding to go with a 911 as a daily and getting a lesser sidekick for when I need more cargo room. It is IMO, probably the best all round sedan sold today today powered by an ICE, the A8 and Lexus LS being good options if you want something larger. The Tesla S on the other hand is probably the best sedan in the world today, purely on performance & luxury standards, the quirks and limitations of the technology and immaturity of the company and the product along with limited availability being the only factors keeping me from owning one just yet.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:03 AM
rpilot
Pro

Originally Posted by SSST
Good write up and very well thought out. My only observation is that if you are like me (and you may not be) power is adictive. The 3.4 may feel plenty fast coming out of a 5 series, but a year from now, it won't feel so fast.
Originally Posted by rodsky
Great write up and build. Only option I'd add with PDK is sport chrono. It's cool to have various modes to use from normal (smooth, Lexus like) sport and then sport plus if you end up changing your mind about the track. Also manual PDK shifts with sport plus are cool. I use that mode quite a bit. My guess, is you'll get a little bored with PDK and no SC down the road.
Gentlemen, thank you for the feedback. I get the point about the SC and the S and your perspective, it is valued. Like you said I might regret it, but sometimes I just make up my mind after deliberations and then just stick with my decision. Thank you again , sincerely.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:53 PM
rpilot
Pro

Default Done...

Finally ordered it. Will see it sometime in late April/ most likely May. Thank you all for helping me.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:34 AM
991Dreamer
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good for you. Congrats.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:30 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rpilot
Finally ordered it. Will see it sometime in late April/ most likely May. Thank you all for helping me.
Good luck holding your breath rpilot. Remember you're welcome to come here and voice a primal scream when the waiting gets to be too much.

Gary
Old 12-13-2012, 02:29 AM
Rainier_991
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
Remember you're welcome to come here and voice a primal scream when the waiting gets to be too much.

Gary
You got that one right Gary.
My own wait is nearly over at long last; the Hoegh Shanghai is set to dock in East London on Saturday with my new toy on board. Dealer will try to get his hands on it and have it ready before XMas so I need to find a big red ribbon to tie around it. Whew ! This was an 8 months wait from ordering. Never waited for a car before, always bought either second hand or off the dealer floor.

Rainier
Old 12-13-2012, 03:22 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rainier_991
My own wait is nearly over at long last; the Hoegh Shanghai is set to dock in East London on Saturday with my new toy on board. Dealer will try to get his hands on it and have it ready before XMas so I need to find a big red ribbon to tie around it. Whew ! This was an 8 months wait from ordering. Never waited for a car before, always bought either second hand or off the dealer floor.

Rainier
Excruciating. But once you've done it this way, it makes buying off the floor feel like it's no better than shopping for a used car.

Gary
Old 12-13-2012, 10:44 AM
rpilot
Pro

Excruciating. But once you've done it this way, it makes buying off the floor feel like it's no better than shopping for a used car.

Gary
I know. I am also trying to pretend that I did not buy this car, so I wont get too impatient. The good and the bad news is that I am going to be extremely busy in the first quarter of next year so I probably will not have too much time to think about my shiny new toy. I'll drop in here though and try not to have second thoughts on what I did and did not order Thank you again.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:47 AM
rpilot
Pro

Originally Posted by Rainier_991

Rainier
I did not know getting on a first name basis with the cargo ship is a prerequisite for custom ordering one I hope you see it before X'mas. You might have to get a really big family tree this year and outside probably to fit the car under the tree.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:01 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

I did not know getting on a first name basis with the cargo ship is a prerequisite for custom ordering one I hope you see it before X'mas. You might have to get a really big family tree this year and outside probably to fit the car under the tree.
If you but ask, they provide a little scale model that fits under the tree of even a Manhattan condominium.

Gary
Old 12-14-2012, 12:45 PM
rpilot
Pro

If you but ask, they provide a little scale model that fits under the tree of even a Manhattan condominium.

Gary
As nice as I was, I think I drove a bit hard on the deal. I think I would be lucky if they threw in a pleather bag for a quart of oil.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:58 PM
Detroit Shooter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow April May... you are a better man then me.
How long until the order is locked?
Old 12-14-2012, 02:05 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

congrats rpilot you'll be glad you did it. There aren't enough situations in life I wish I could say that about..but this is one.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:15 PM
rpilot
Pro

Originally Posted by Detroit Shooter
Wow April May... you are a better man then me.
Well.. I don't know about better Man. I really really wanted the GT Silver, which has a built in two month delay.

Last edited by rpilot; 12-14-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:17 PM
rpilot
Pro

Originally Posted by Nicoli35
congrats rpilot you'll be glad you did it. There aren't enough situations in life I wish I could say that about..but this is one.

Oh... I am glad I did it. Thanks ! Just staying busy 1Q 2013 and try to think of this less.

Quick Reply: My final 991 configuration and C2 vs C2S test drive impressions.