Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Seat vs. Sport Seat Plus

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012 | 10:45 AM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Default Sport Seat vs. Sport Seat Plus

Hi gents, I've been active in other areas of the site but this is my first post in the 991 forum.

After originally considering to get a GT3 / RS, I decided I wanted to go with something better suited for use as a daily driver and buy / build a dedicated track car instead. However, I still want to use my 991 for occasional track days.

I've found a couple of cars with the performance spec I want (Sport Design wheel, PDK, Sport PASM, sport exhaust), but one car has the sport seats (along with many nice options) and the other car has fewer options but has the base Plus seats.

My question is: do the sport seats offer enough bolstering and support for use on the track or will you be having to brace yourself against the door, sliding around on the seat, etc.?
Old 12-10-2012 | 11:50 AM
MarkG123
Pro

Performance driving is done by the seat-of-your-pants. Once you start bracing yourself you begin loose the ability to feel the car. From my experience I don't think sport seats with standard seat belts will do the job unless you happy track driving at 7/10ths.
Old 12-10-2012 | 02:28 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Thanks, I notice you've got a couple of GT3s, but are you basing this off of experience, ie. you own a 991 with either seat and have used it on the track?

What it comes down to is, how much support do the power Sport seats give?
Old 12-10-2012 | 02:42 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

The Sport Plus seats have a bit better bolstering that the standard Sport seats. The standard over the shoulder three point belts are adequate for typical spirited pushing with either seat. But as indicated above, 5 point belts (with either seat) are the ticket for serious tracking, both for securing your body so you can focus on driving and for safety. In my experience, apart from good instruction, they are cheapest performance option available.
Old 12-10-2012 | 02:45 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Thanks, that helps give me a better idea. It won't be a serious track machine, I'm going to do something else in that area, but I will consider getting a harness installed for the odd DE day I will do with the 991.
Old 12-10-2012 | 03:16 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Hi gents, I've been active in other areas of the site but this is my first post in the 991 forum.

After originally considering to get a GT3 / RS, I decided I wanted to go with something better suited for use as a daily driver and buy / build a dedicated track car instead. However, I still want to use my 991 for occasional track days.

I've found a couple of cars with the performance spec I want (Sport Design wheel, PDK, Sport PASM, sport exhaust), but one car has the sport seats (along with many nice options) and the other car has fewer options but has the base Plus seats.

My question is: do the sport seats offer enough bolstering and support for use on the track or will you be having to brace yourself against the door, sliding around on the seat, etc.?
Thanks, that helps give me a better idea. It won't be a serious track machine, I'm going to do something else in that area, but I will consider getting a harness installed for the odd DE day I will do with the 991.
If you get your build as described with sport chrono, you also get the dynamic engine mounts. Your harness (and smile) will get a proper work out.
Old 12-10-2012 | 03:37 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Cheers to that! The car will have sport chrono, Sport PASM, sport design wheel, and the sport exhaust.

Hope to close the deal tomorrow. I'm starting to get very excited!!!
Old 12-10-2012 | 04:18 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Cheers to that! The car will have sport chrono, Sport PASM, sport design wheel, and the sport exhaust.

I had sport plus seats in a Boxter S- they fit me perfectly. The 991 regular seats "sport seats" are better than ever but not (for me) as comfortable around the lower back. Some posters have said just the opposite so get what fits you! One thing I have that I really like is full leather. It warms the otherwise hi tech German- functional feel.
Old 12-10-2012 | 04:18 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

You should be!
Old 12-10-2012 | 09:26 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

I agree with ChuckPDC and MarkG123 but don't think of five-point belts as a casual addition for occasional track days. Five and six-point belts require a special seat themselves and must be anchored to roll bar or one or two limited variations of that method. If you're only tracking this car occasionally, it's a much better compromise to buy the 14- or 18-way seats which have better bolstering and then drive with your standard lap belt.

And I've spent a lot of track time both ways.

Gary
Old 12-10-2012 | 10:01 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

please get the sport seats plus, best seats i have ever had in a porsche and this is coming from someone who had ordered 5 in the last 2 years..

loved my sport seat plus.. and they are full leather as well (seats come full leather versus the fake stamped leather the other seats come as)
Old 12-11-2012 | 02:51 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by simsgw
.......but don't think of five-point belts as a casual addition for occasional track days. Five and six-point belts require a special seat themselves and must be anchored to roll bar or one or two limited variations of that method. If you're only tracking this car occasionally, it's a much better compromise to buy the 14- or 18-way seats which have better bolstering and then drive with your standard lap belt.

Gary
I agree with Gary completely. You can't safely use a shoulder harness with a sporty passenger car seat, and a roll bar or at minimum a harness bar will be needed to anchor them. Pass-throughs like those on the Porsche sport buckets or other racing style seats are required for the belts to have the proper positioning over your shoulders.
Old 12-11-2012 | 03:48 AM
SiNi
Instructor

It's a very personal choice. I tried both seats and found the sports seats plus uncomfortable for daily driving. I went for the the 14 way sports seats. These might give a little less hold for track events (which I intend to do) but its a worthy compromise as 99% time the car is not being driven on a track!
Old 12-11-2012 | 05:27 PM
hlee1169
Pro

I have the sports seats plus in my 991, but it's still inadequate on the track, I have to use my knees to brace myself from sliding. Good for mountain runs, though.
Old 12-12-2012 | 01:50 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by hlee1169
I have the sports seats plus in my 991, but it's still inadequate on the track, I have to use my knees to brace myself from sliding. Good for mountain runs, though.
The cheese grater effect. (knee to speaker grill....)

Quick Reply: Sport Seat vs. Sport Seat Plus