Sponsored by:

am I the only one starting to really dislike the 991

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 07:08 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Well, click on this: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...ated-gifs.html

There must be something good to use in there.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:47 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Oh, I don't know about any loss of civility. If anything people (not all granted) have been going to great lengths trying to show sympathy for your situation and help with ideas. You might try yourself to take a step back and look at your own situation with a little greater perspective. I mean from what you've posted you're a guy with lots of cars, so much money to spend on them you don't even take the time to seriously think about what you're doing with $130 grand, and so apparently spoiled that you complain about there being no place to put your sunglasses. Among other things. And people for the most part earnestly offer helpful ideas!

Now you post a picture of your 991, which you've been saying is too big for your driveway, yet there it is nicely parked with plenty of room on both sides. And, I might add, the sun is out and the grass is brown, even though you'll also have us believe the car has rivulets of water running down the inside of the windshield. Very difficult to make any kind of sense of all this- at least, not without drawing some very, as you say, derisive conclusions.
You are not being sympathetic to the OP's plight. After seeing the picture of his car, I have to admit that I was in error and offer an apology. That is the biggest 991 I have ever seen. It took an extraordinary act of driving skill to make it fit on the driveway. Nevertheless, if the OP offers his car at a reasonable price, I suspect that someone will take this "beast" off his hands.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:19 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 312 Likes on 187 Posts

I still don't understand a few things about the OP or the car in the picture. If it has Sport PASM (given the original spoiler), and it is (from the front brakes in the pic) a Carrera and not a Carrera S, and he can't notice the ride difference between settings, it must not have Sport Chrono (as Sport + makes a very noticeable difference). So, it is either a truly strange build, someone changed the spoiler before he got it and it is not really a Sport PASM. Or he is truly insensitive to the car, which explains his feeling that it is like a rental car. In which case, along with the rest of the expressed concerns (like the hood coming open in a rainstorm) I can not imagine why he purchased it or keep it.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:29 PM
ArthurK
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by william_b_noble
Oh, and the dimensions for the 991 came out of my owner's manual, specifically page 268. If those dimensions are not to your (whomever it was that questioned where they came from) liking, take them up with the factory.
William, I wasn't questioning your dimensions of the 991 it was the 993 that I had doubts over. My values of the 991 correlate to what you posted and 71.2" is under 6 feet in width (6 * 12 = 72) not over 6 as you stated. I don't doubt the 991 is a bigger car. I guess things move and change with time.........
Old 12-13-2012, 01:56 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
As much as I enjoy reading Gary's posts, the plain fact is short posts eat up more space per word so get us closer to 20 that much sooner.
Lines!
We
need
lots
of
lines
to
cause
new
pages!

Gary, delineating the problem
Old 12-13-2012, 02:29 AM
DHill
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes
Old 12-13-2012, 03:03 AM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

almost to 13..better get in here too hehe. My car is at the dealer - memory seat function stopped working (I know, horrible terrible problem right) but I really got used to the comfort entry/exit where it moves the seat back and forth ..strange as the seat controls work fine manually and everything else like the lumbar or automatic steering wheel movement is fine. I just can't recall seat movement or memorize a new position. While there I told the service manager the manual C2's with October builds and up have sport plus rev matching and kinda blew his mind, he said he has to call Porsche now hehe.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:58 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
You are not being sympathetic to the OP's plight. After seeing the picture of his car, I have to admit that I was in error and offer an apology. That is the biggest 991 I have ever seen.
Is it me, or is it getting bigger?

Last edited by chuck911; 01-28-2014 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:35 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 312 Likes on 187 Posts

all i have to say now is
Old 12-13-2012, 11:05 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

It's humongous!!!!!
Old 12-13-2012, 11:13 AM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll help with the 20 pages (I still don't know who's betting who here)...
but also try to help the OP a bit (regardless of him having left himself wide open to .... well, this thread).

to the OP:

In all seriousness, the problem may, just may be of spatial orientation in the car. Perhaps the angle of the seat, height etc. make the car feel larger to you than you anticipated. Take it to a flat and level nearly empty parking lot and try raising the seat height as far as you can take it without your head hitting the roof and compensate for the pedal distance after that. Then adjust the steering wheel where you want it to and save your settings. See if that helps. then try and park the car and see if you can park it like you do your other cars without thinking twice or at least get used to it.

Also if you like your car better now and getting in and out of your driveway or from your car in your driveway is still a chore, i'm willing to bet the driveway you showed us in the pic can be widened at a cost less than the loss you will take trading the car in. (assuming of course homeowner covenants and city ordinances allow).

And yes, the manual does list functions that are not in your car, but it is assumed that you know what you ordered or bought. So have your Monroney label handy to see what's on the car if you are not sure. But try to get a bit more familiar with the settings, suspension settings, etc. I understand that they are lot more than you anticipated, but technology in cars is not going away. Porsche is not going to make a 356 again.

If you are still not happy, well only you can decide if its worth keeping or selling, no one else can.

I mean no disrespect with the post and I hope you find the right solution for yourself.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:41 AM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Which is better the 991 or the 997? The 991 or the 993? Etc. It's like arguing which is better: The Enterprise or the Excelsior? Who would win in a fair fight: CAPT Kirk or Picard? <omg...lol> You know--Maybe the 991 is getting smaller every minute because gravity is increasing as the Earth accumulates more mass vis-a-vis cosmic dust, meteors, and so on. Dang, and I wrote that sh#t sober. Just sayin'. Science, mf'ers. Free yo' mind.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:44 AM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Actually the 991 is better and Kirk would not fight fair.

<geek credentials validated>
Old 12-13-2012, 11:46 AM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wondering

if

I

should

adopt

an

Aussie

again...

http://images.google.com/search?num=...epherd+puppies
Old 12-13-2012, 12:04 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by holminator
Which is better the 991 or the 997? The 991 or the 993? Etc. It's like arguing which is better: The Enterprise or the Excelsior? Who would win in a fair fight: CAPT Kirk or Picard? <omg...lol>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0VTyTPJVfs
900 Quatloos on the newcarreras!

Quick Reply: am I the only one starting to really dislike the 991