Notices
991
Sponsored by:

European delivery.

 
Old 11-12-2014, 08:13 PM
  #31  
Larry Cable
Super User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 17,006
Default

Originally Posted by kaution321 View Post
I was thinking about the ED but in the end I knew I wouldn't be able to drive my car as fast as I want to with the roads/speeds allowed due to initial break-in period.
then you missed a great trip for no reason.
Larry Cable is offline  
Old 11-12-2014, 08:32 PM
  #32  
Duke I
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Duke I's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: The Rockies
Posts: 565
Default

+ 1

So take your car out, get to 6th gear and 4200 rpm, then consider where in the US you can do that without worrying about a cell mate.

Of course there are the twisting roads through the alps, the towns, the food, the factory tour ...
Duke I is offline  
Old 11-12-2014, 08:56 PM
  #33  
disden
User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,623
Default

Originally Posted by StudGarden View Post
Do that really make you do that? I heard other German delivery brands destined for the US don't make you do that but supposedly Porsche does. That's radically unacceptable if true.
They do charge the VAT; it's 19% of sales price you must fork over to finalize the build. That was a big check for nothing on my $178k car! I just got my car back this week; still waiting for the VAT refund.

Despite that VAT, it was still worth the trip and experience. I will do it again when my Panamera lease is up.
disden is offline  
Old 11-12-2014, 10:33 PM
  #34  
kaution321
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 256
Default

Originally Posted by Larry Cable View Post
then you missed a great trip for no reason.
True. Also didn't want to put holes on my front bumper since front plates were required in Germany. I'll definitely do ED when I order my Panamera. I don't mind having front plates on a panamera and a leisurely drive.
kaution321 is offline  
Old 11-12-2014, 10:34 PM
  #35  
kaution321
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 256
Default

Originally Posted by Duke I View Post
+ 1 So take your car out, get to 6th gear and 4200 rpm, then consider where in the US you can do that without worrying about a cell mate. Of course there are the twisting roads through the alps, the towns, the food, the factory tour ...
U.S. race tracks I suppose.
kaution321 is offline  
Old 11-12-2014, 10:44 PM
  #36  
kaution321
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 256
Default

Originally Posted by disden View Post
They do charge the VAT; it's 19% of sales price you must fork over to finalize the build. That was a big check for nothing on my $178k car! I just got my car back this week; still waiting for the VAT refund. Despite that VAT, it was still worth the trip and experience. I will do it again when my Panamera lease is up.
Good to hear the positive experience. Which ED location did you select?
kaution321 is offline  
Old 11-12-2014, 11:14 PM
  #37  
Duke I
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Duke I's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: The Rockies
Posts: 565
Default

Originally Posted by kaution321 View Post
U.S. race tracks I suppose.
True. I'm not a track guy though.

ED was remarkable. A true bucket list experience. Good luck.
Duke I is offline  
Old 11-13-2014, 12:47 AM
  #38  
disden
User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,623
Default

Originally Posted by kaution321 View Post
Good to hear the positive experience. Which ED location did you select?
Picked up my TT cab in Zuffenhausen in late September. Truly had a blast. Went down to the Black Forest Highway, then into Switzerland to hit the myriad of passes, then down into Northern Italy. Drove Stelvio, that was fun. My wife and I had an amazing 2weeks. I will definitely do this again, but next time will bring the kids!
disden is offline  
Old 11-13-2014, 02:18 PM
  #39  
Larry Cable
Super User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 17,006
Default

Originally Posted by kaution321 View Post
True. Also didn't want to put holes on my front bumper since front plates were required in Germany. I'll definitely do ED when I order my Panamera. I don't mind having front plates on a panamera and a leisurely drive.
you can request them not too mount it, and take along a temp mount (but that wont work in CH)
Larry Cable is offline  
Old 11-13-2014, 02:22 PM
  #40  
Larry Cable
Super User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 17,006
Default

Originally Posted by Duke I View Post
+ 1

So take your car out, get to 6th gear and 4200 rpm, then consider where in the US you can do that without worrying about a cell mate.

Of course there are the twisting roads through the alps, the towns, the food, the factory tour ...
If catastrophic engine failure would occur if you took the car above 4200 during the break in period then the ECU would enforce this, there is nothing wrong in winding the car up during break in as long as the engine is warm, and you do not maintain constant high rpm for long periods of time.

Also, doing ED, you can pretty easily complete your break in mileage while touring ... I did in '07 in my GT3 and spent 4 days at the Ring and chased a
TT cabriolet on the Autobahn at >186mph indicated with no immediate or long term issues other than an elevated heart rate.
Larry Cable is offline  
Old 11-13-2014, 05:14 PM
  #41  
schuy
User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 11
Default

I just got back, from my European Delivery trip. Picked up my Cayman in Zuffenhausen on Sept 4.

For Paris I suggest avoiding taking your car. Paris is a great city but would not be fun to drive about in it. The metro and buses work well and will be a faster way of getting about. Fly in to Paris and take the TGV , the fast train to Stuttgart. The train is only a couple of hours and the station is just across the street from the two hotels that Porsche will put you up at. (Do your jet lag acclimation before you pick up the car)

The high Alp passes will likely be closed. I recommend the Maritime Alps of France. The Gorges ofthe Verdun will be good driving without the summer traffic. The Cote-Azure along the Mediterranean will have warmer weather.

Here is a little loop that would be great fun:
https://goo.gl/maps/e8gFb

Avoid speeding in Switzerland and France, they are very strict.
schuy is offline  
Old 11-13-2014, 05:17 PM
  #42  
Larry Cable
Super User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 17,006
Default

Originally Posted by schuy View Post
I just got back, from my European Delivery trip. Picked up my Cayman in Zuffenhausen on Sept 4.

For Paris I suggest avoiding taking your car. Paris is a great city but would not be fun to drive about in it. The metro and buses work well and will be a faster way of getting about. Fly in to Paris and take the TGV , the fast train to Stuttgart. The train is only a couple of hours and the station is just across the street from the two hotels that Porsche will put you up at. (Do your jet lag acclimation before you pick up the car)

The high Alp passes will likely be closed. I recommend the Maritime Alps of France. The Gorges ofthe Verdun will be good driving without the summer traffic. The Cote-Azure along the Mediterranean will have warmer weather.

Here is a little loop that would be great fun:
https://goo.gl/maps/e8gFb

Avoid speeding in Switzerland and France, they are very strict.
+1 too all of the above
Larry Cable is offline  
Old 11-14-2014, 02:24 AM
  #43  
kaution321
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 256
Default

I'm sending the factory some double sided tape for the front plates....
kaution321 is offline  
Old 11-14-2014, 03:38 AM
  #44  
StudGarden
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,023
Default

Originally Posted by Larry Cable View Post
If catastrophic engine failure would occur if you took the car above 4200 during the break in period then the ECU would enforce this, there is nothing wrong in winding the car up during break in as long as the engine is warm, and you do not maintain constant high rpm for long periods of time.
As long as you weren't doing cold crank launch controls would exceeding the fake arbitrary 4200 rpm regional guideline really risk nullifying your warranty?
StudGarden is offline  
Old 11-14-2014, 07:05 AM
  #45  
bccars
User
 
bccars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,341
Default

Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon View Post
Also, as fun as the unlimited autobahn is, it is not the most relaxing drive as you are constantly watching for traffic from behind and people pulling in the left lane to pass a truck going 80km/h. I found that you could go very fast on the Autobahn, but not for very long. If you are going over 180km/hr for more than 30 seconds at a time that's pretty good. Most of the speed bursts are limited to less than 30 seconds as someone will pull out and pass a slow moving truck and then dive back into the right lane to let you pass. I found myself constantly going back and forth between 130 and 180km/hr.
That is true for the sections with only 2 lanes. On the sections with 3 lanes (Quite a few from Nurburgring to Stuttgart) atainable and sustainable speeds are much much higher !
bccars is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: European delivery.


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: