Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Woe is me

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 04:35 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when I bought my car, the dealer offered tire and paintless dent repair insurance - I bought it, so of course I haven't had any need for it (yet, knocking on wood). I figure one damaged tire and I'm half way to even.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:48 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a Scratch in my BMW X5M like that. I think I could have got that out by wetsanding it. It would have left the clear a bit thin but I think I could have done it.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:12 PM
sixtosune
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No matter how much education / culture / civility I've been able to ingest in my lifetime, I never cease to be amazed at how medieval I'd be able to get if I ever caught one of those car-keying humanoids off guard....

Very Happy to know You were able to get it repaired without a repaint. (that is a truly valuable detail) Fantastic Job !!
Old 11-04-2012, 01:43 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Shame!

I got my M3 E92 back from Europe late '09 and it took all of 2 weeks back before some ar$ehole had etched a 'V' into the left rear shoulder. Then w/in a mth someone had prised out one of the front reflectors and nearly got the other one (excuse for me to put in inserts to make it more euro-style).

So, it's infuriating I know. Be interested to see what your ultimate solution is as I still have to remove the 'V' (been buffed but I can still discern it).
Old 11-05-2012, 01:13 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mtbscott
The scratch has been fixed! A guy recommended to me by a friend who wrenches at an independent exoticar garage came by my office this morning and in less than 2 hours made it look like new again.
Before he started, he explained his process. Only about three inches of the scratch was through the clearcoat and he would fill that in with clear paint before starting. I thought he would spray it on but he actually just dabbed it in with a wooden implement. While that dried (45 minutes to an hour he said) he lightly wetsanded the entire length of the scratch. You couldn't see it in my picture but although much fainter, it actually ran the entire length of the door. Once the clearcoat was dry, he sanded that, then machine buffed the entire area. The scratch is gone, car looks brand new again, cost $165.
He pulls a small box trailer and says if necessary, he can blend factory colored paints on the spot too. He has a generator, etc. so fully self-contained.
I am very, very pleased and would wholeheartedly recommend him to anyone needing minor damage fixed. His work is the antithesis of the bodyshop business, where even the most minor ding becomes a $500+ four day ordeal.
Thanks for the update! I like happy endings (
)! Wish that guy worked in my area. Politics...Now that's some fools' gold if I ever saw it.

Quick Reply: Woe is me