Sponsored by:

Woe is me

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 09:00 AM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry. Deleted.

Last edited by mtony; 11-01-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:10 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Would all of you who are bringing politics into my thread about a scratch please be quiet. I have had to "unfriend" and block a dozen or so of my Facebook acquaintances the past month over their incessant political diatribes.
Facebook is a SOCIAL network, not a political one. And Rennlist is a CAR FORUM, please take your politics elsewhere. Thanks.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:53 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Default Happy is me!

The scratch has been fixed! A guy recommended to me by a friend who wrenches at an independent exoticar garage came by my office this morning and in less than 2 hours made it look like new again.
Before he started, he explained his process. Only about three inches of the scratch was through the clearcoat and he would fill that in with clear paint before starting. I thought he would spray it on but he actually just dabbed it in with a wooden implement. While that dried (45 minutes to an hour he said) he lightly wetsanded the entire length of the scratch. You couldn't see it in my picture but although much fainter, it actually ran the entire length of the door. Once the clearcoat was dry, he sanded that, then machine buffed the entire area. The scratch is gone, car looks brand new again, cost $165.
He pulls a small box trailer and says if necessary, he can blend factory colored paints on the spot too. He has a generator, etc. so fully self-contained.
I am very, very pleased and would wholeheartedly recommend him to anyone needing minor damage fixed. His work is the antithesis of the bodyshop business, where even the most minor ding becomes a $500+ four day ordeal.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:01 PM
DHill
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice!! I'm really Happy for you! Nice to know a perfect fix is possible without involving a body shop. If you don't mind, post a pic of the fix.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:53 PM
964Heaven
Banned

good deal !
Old 11-01-2012, 04:16 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 180 Likes on 120 Posts

Congrats on getting your pride and joy back.
A happy conclusion to a pointless and needless situation.

$165 ?? Does he have any idea how valuable his skills are to the likes of us.
Is he a franchise of some sort, or completely independent with some type of patented process?

Perhaps you should consider a Clearbra that baby...
Old 11-01-2012, 08:18 PM
o2bcdn
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is awesome!

I have a door ding on my 991S (3500 miles) and have not had a chance to investigate an option like this. I hope I can find someone like this in Central Illinois!
Old 11-01-2012, 08:26 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

glad it worked out
Old 11-01-2012, 10:05 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

Can you pm me his contact info in case I ever need him? Glad it worked out for you.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:12 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Glad it worked out. I see you're in Houston. Could you post his contact, in case he comes to Dallas or knows anyone here. Cheers.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:40 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

I took another picture trying to mimic the same angle as the first one and as you can see it's virtually gone. If you knew where the scratch was and look at just the right angle, at just the right light, you can still kind of see the worst couple inches of it, looks almost like a shadow in the paint.
I would still consider it near factory again, and much better to me than having the body shop repaint the entire panel. I don't know what the rules are about posting the contact info here, so unless a moderator tells me it's okay, I will just PM it to the folks who asked tomorrow from work where I left his card and the receipt.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:57 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by o2bcdn
That is awesome!

I have a door ding on my 991S (3500 miles) and have not had a chance to investigate an option like this. I hope I can find someone like this in Central Illinois!
If your door ding doesn't have paint damage, you need a PDR (paintless dent repair) guy. I know several good ones in my city, ask your dealer who they use. PDR works by the technician using variously shaped tools behind the sheet metal to massage the dent out. It's more art than science I think and the good ones can make even complex curved areas right again, doors are usually pretty easy. If there is paint damage, you might need PDR followed by touchup.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:59 PM
deturney
Instructor

Originally Posted by mtbscott
If your door ding doesn't have paint damage, you need a PDR (paintless dent repair) guy. I know several good ones in my city, ask your dealer who they use. PDR works by the technician using variously shaped tools behind the sheet metal to massage the dent out. It's more art than science I think and the good ones can make even complex curved areas right again, doors are usually pretty easy. If there is paint damage, you might need PDR followed by touchup.
An unknown "someone" decided to put 3 dents in a fender of my pristine MX-5 a while back. I used a PDR guy and it was beautiful again for $275.00. Luckily dents only, no paint damage. They must have used the infamous "blunt object".
Old 11-02-2012, 04:27 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by deturney
An unknown "someone" decided to put 3 dents in a fender of my pristine MX-5 a while back. I used a PDR guy and it was beautiful again for $275.00. Luckily dents only, no paint damage. They must have used the infamous "blunt object".
My most amazing PDR story was my old 2008 MINI. At a bike race, one of the shops there's popup tent wasn't tied down and blew onto my car after a wind gust. There were two dents in the roof including one right by the windshield, and one on the front fender.
I took it to a guy who sets up shop in a local Mercedes dealer. He had to remove the headliner to get to the top ones so charged almost $500 for his labor (which the bike shop paid for), but got them all out. I could hardly believe the one which was just a couple inches from the windshield on a curved section of sheetmetal. When they're good, they're good!
Old 11-02-2012, 04:43 PM
deturney
Instructor

Originally Posted by mtbscott
When they're good, they're good!
How true, and when compared to getting them fixed using a body shop it's really quite a good deal.

Quick Reply: Woe is me