Sponsored by:

Woe is me

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 07:27 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 180 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by greenpdk
Looks like the small business people, millionaires and billionaires need to give a little bit more before this will subside.
Seriously??

mtbscott - From the tone of your post you seem to have managed to keep it all in perspective. For that you should be commended. I'm sincerely sorry for your inconvenience.

I have no idea what is wrong with mankind, but there aren't too many other species that destroy peoples property for the hell of it.

I hope you avoid the dreaded respray.

Does anyone here know if Xpel or another Clearguard would have lessened the damaged to his car?
Old 10-29-2012, 09:37 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear this happened. I've been toying with the idea of a security camera that one could leave on, when they leave the car. I never got around to it, as it wasn't at the top of my list. But, you just moved it up a few slots.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:28 AM
964Heaven
Banned

pls keep us updated ,, intentional or not ,, still sucks
Old 10-30-2012, 10:30 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Was offered two options yesterday. Local bodyshop that I've used successfully before offered what they do best: blend, repaint, re-spray clear on the entire door for $550.
I was referred by a friend who works at an exotic car shop to a guy who does mobile touchup work for them and a handful of dealerships here in town. He will come to my house, try to buff it out. If it's too deep, he sprays on an isolated layer of more clear to the area, then buffs that out. I am going to try him first this Thursday.
I am sure the bodyshop can make it look brand new, but I do not relish having paintwork done on a two-week old car. The other less invasive touchup sounds much more appealing and the guy's reputation is top notch from some very high end sources. Worse case scenario, he can't fix it and I have to go the conventional route. I'll let you all know after it's done.
Duxsi, you kind of made my day last night. This really sucks but I'm not going to let it spoil my enjoyment of my car, or life in general. I'm sure the person who did this for no reason to my car will get the kharma he/she deserves, I will just try to fix it and put it behind me.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:57 AM
tomshop
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same thing happen to my brand new dark blue S550. I ended up doing the repaint option as the scratch was too deep for detailing. It looks perfect and had forgotten about it until I saw your post. The emotional damage is much worse than the physical damage.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:22 PM
Detroit Shooter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That is on the top of my list of nightmares. Sorry for your trouble.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:47 PM
kernelofwisdom
Racer

What crap.

Same thing on Cayman R I had. Scratched the door front quarter panel and front bumper. Somehow, fortunately, it wasn't deep. Orbital buffer along with some great compound completely cleared it up. I was steamed alright.

I hope yours comes out with buffing but either way let it go. The loser who did it isn't worth the thinking about.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:51 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
I am sure one of mine will be keyed one of these days. There are a lot of haters. My GF's Mercedes has a big scratch in it. Just have it fixed and move on. It's all you can do. good thing you didn't catch them, you would probably be in jail for assault. The thing is most wealthy people made it in their lifetime. Why don't the haters just do it for themselves?
It's like feeding animals in national parks - signs say not to for fear the animals get used to it and lose the ability to fend for themselves.

We're doing the same with people/society....they don't want to have to do anything for themselves
Old 10-31-2012, 12:55 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 451 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
It's like feeding animals in national parks - signs say not to for fear the animals get used to it and lose the ability to fend for themselves.

We're doing the same with people/society....they don't want to have to do anything for themselves
Now, now. Let us keep it civil and refrain from such talk. We who can easily afford these wonderful automobiles are truly privileged. I know that I owe a great debt to the public schools i attended at great public cost and expense. I drive my fabulous 991 on public funded highways and bridges. I practice law in pubically funded courts - each court day dedicated to dispute resolution is paid for with public money. Public money will fund the flood insurance payment for the total loss of my law partner's Multi million dollar total loss south jersey beach house yesterday. Many corporations will gladly take public money to restore damaged infrastructure. The MRI that looked for my kidney stone last year was paid for by public money. My doctors medical education was mostly paid for with public money.

So The next time you want to see a person living on or benefitting from public money handouts just look at the guy you shave in the morning. I'm going to guess that he is receiving a grater benefit than the poor child who gets a hot breakfast meal at elementary school
Old 10-31-2012, 01:02 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

...oh btw I was that hungry kid at school as 50 years ago they weren't serving breakfast at school... We owe a lot to this wonderful country and we all received a lot of assistance to arrive where we are today. I have noticed that many folks can't bring themselves to admit that they got help along the way ...
Old 10-31-2012, 10:06 AM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do very much agree with rnl. We should avoid getting too political here or the polarity that has poisoned discourse elsewhere will ruin a wonderful place for us to escape to. Anecdotes don't prove anything by themselves but I have just one to share. The other day I went off for a few days with my brother and his quite wealthy friend who has recently adopted a new hobby....raising race horses. We flew from Baltimore to Lexington in his private jet. We toured his incredible, all new 250 acre horse raising facility. Words cannot describe the wealth on display among the horse farms in the Lexington region. I know my brother's friend to be a very decent and exceedingly generous man. He gives millions away each year. He has put dozens of young people through college, totally at his expense. I really admire him, but when, at dinner, he said he wanted government out of his life I was astounded. We traveled on taxpayer funded roads to get to the taxpayer funded biz jet annex of the taxpayer funded airport. We flew in high performance jet constructed under taxpayer paid scrutiny (FAA), our flight was guided safely by taxpayer paid air trafficcontrollers using expensive equipment paid for by taxpayers. We landed at a municipal airport paid for by......you get the point. The exquisite farm we visit is a business, and losses generated by this business can be offset against other income. He claims he never cheats on his taxes and I believe him. He also claims he never has to pay any taxes. This is the way the tax code works. This guy is way smarter than I. He is more generous than anyone I've ever personally known, but his assumption that government has been some sort of impediment to his success is just plain wrong. I will step down from my soapbox and remain silent.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:34 PM
greenpdk
Advanced

Originally Posted by solomonschris
I do very much agree with rnl. We should avoid getting too political here or the polarity that has poisoned discourse elsewhere will ruin a wonderful place for us to escape to. Anecdotes don't prove anything by themselves but I have just one to share. The other day I went off for a few days with my brother and his quite wealthy friend who has recently adopted a new hobby....raising race horses. We flew from Baltimore to Lexington in his private jet. We toured his incredible, all new 250 acre horse raising facility. Words cannot describe the wealth on display among the horse farms in the Lexington region. I know my brother's friend to be a very decent and exceedingly generous man. He gives millions away each year. He has put dozens of young people through college, totally at his expense. I really admire him, but when, at dinner, he said he wanted government out of his life I was astounded. We traveled on taxpayer funded roads to get to the taxpayer funded biz jet annex of the taxpayer funded airport. We flew in high performance jet constructed under taxpayer paid scrutiny (FAA), our flight was guided safely by taxpayer paid air trafficcontrollers using expensive equipment paid for by taxpayers. We landed at a municipal airport paid for by......you get the point. The exquisite farm we visit is a business, and losses generated by this business can be offset against other income. He claims he never cheats on his taxes and I believe him. He also claims he never has to pay any taxes. This is the way the tax code works. This guy is way smarter than I. He is more generous than anyone I've ever personally known, but his assumption that government has been some sort of impediment to his success is just plain wrong. I will step down from my soapbox and remain silent.
I commend your brother's friend for building what he did. After all, he had to risk his own capital or get it from someone who did to put him in the position of being able to provide jobs and give to charity. He is right to want less government intrusion because it probably is preventing him from doing more good things. Remember, he is the one that took the risk and contributed the sweat equity and probably many years of work and brain power to contribute what he does. I think he deserves to have the things he wants for all of his efforts. Government's role is being expanded at a geometric pace and is now out of proportion with it's original mandate and certainly way more than what we can afford. The government should provide the roads we drive our cars on and protect us from our enemies. The problem comes in when the government tries to get involved in to many aspects of our lives and then wants us to pay for the poor job that they do. Sorry for the rant. I know this is not a political forum and I will shut up now.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:39 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by greenpdk
I commend your brother's friend for building what he did. After all, he had to risk his own capital or get it from someone who did to put him in the position of being able to provide jobs and give to charity. He is right to want less government intrusion because it probably is preventing him from doing more good things. Remember, he is the one that took the risk and contributed the sweat equity and probably many years of work and brain power to contribute what he does. I think he deserves to have the things he wants for all of his efforts. Government's role is being expanded at a geometric pace and is now out of proportion with it's original mandate and certainly way more than what we can afford. The government should provide the roads we drive our cars on and protect us from our enemies. The problem comes in when the government tries to get involved in to many aspects of our lives and then wants us to pay for the poor job that they do. Sorry for the rant. I know this is not a political forum and I will shut up know.
Here, here!! I agree. You are absolutely correct. Could not have said it better. Now, how about those politicians who seem obsessed about women and their health decisions. Can you believe that they want to abridge and limit folks choices about how they live their lives, how many children they want to birth and what type of birth control they select? In know...
Old 10-31-2012, 12:42 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rnl
Here, here!! I agree. You are absolutely correct. Could not have said it better. Now, how about those politicians who seem obsessed about women and their health decisions. Can you believe that they want to abridge and limit folks choices about how they live their lives, how many children they want to birth and what type of birth control they select? In know...

....getting back to the topic. I am paranoid about where and how I park the car. In some respects the way I treat the car is similar to the way I care for my bicycle. I don't own a lock and while on a rest or break from riding, where I go, it goes.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:16 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

if you buy a nice anything, including a nice car, you can either spend your life worrying about it, or enjoy it and repaint it/repair it when it needs it. I choose the latter.

Oh, and RE politics - please, there are enough people pissing on each other already - keep it out of here. There are enough lies, insults, and deamonizing from all participatnts to make any sane person ill.

Quick Reply: Woe is me