Polish a New 991S on delivery

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 03:20 PM
BevHillsPorsche
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Romantic911
True Or False
As per my Porsche Dealer, Full body polish should be carried out on my New deliverd 991s to remove any residual left over glu from the manufacture packing - protective foam and white shield.
The glue you're referring to is usually just removed with a solvent. The protective plastic on the car is easy to peel off and the only place you usually see any residue is on the edges.

A polish isn't necessary to remove this residue, but it doesn't hurt.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:31 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
"Polishing removes paint" is what every new car owner with a clear coat paint system needs to understand well before they buy into using mechanical devices and polishing compounds. You need to know that it can easily remove your clear coat by grinding it off. So if you have clear coat that is what you should clean and polish- gently. Clay bars are perfect if used properly. Then a wax (of the kind that makes you happy) will provide the sheen and protection of the clear coat. Of course, once the clear coat protection is gone, you can use all sorts of things to repair flaws in pigmented paint.
I think you are being a bit over dramatic with the removing paint. Its not like a single polish will go through the clear especially with a dual action polisher (a complete dumbass with a rotary is a different matter).

I've polished my cars twice a year for nearly a dozen years, and never taken off enough clear to cause a problem.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:18 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I agree, a finishing polish and finishing pad will remove very little paint.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:51 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

The comment that Griot's is entry level is amusing. I bet the gents using it on their cars invited to Pebble Beach (and winning!) chuckle as well. The day I see any car anywhere with a more buttery soft, deep gleam than mine sports on a regular basis is the day I will consider changing my mind.

The truth is there are a great many products out there that are capable of giving excellent results, provided only that you know what you are doing down to a very detailed level. That's where all the comments about using micro-fiber (or 100% cotton), folding, and controlling pressure come into play.

The original question is, do I need to polish my new Porsche? The answer is: Yes, and clay it first and wax it afterwards. A brand new car ought to have only very faint, fine scratches, and so need only very light polishing. Thus the recommendation of Machine 4, a very fine polish that will remove very little paint, and is recommended for people who carefully hand wash and care for their cars finish.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:11 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by goatboy
Morons are ingenious...

I have "PLEASE DO NOT WASH THIS CAR" signs on posterboard when I take my cars in for service: one hangs from the rear view mirror, one taped in each rear, side window.
My dealer is experienced enough to ask if I want the car washed. They have different colored key tags so that the technician knows to drop it off (or not) at the bay. I'd bet that the sports cars don't get washed and all the Cayennes do. The Pano is probably 50/50 (mine doesn't get washed by them).

"Polish," by definition is the removal of material from the finish surface. A new car doesn't need polishing, it needs cleaning and sealing.
Exactly!

And I'm going to chime in here that a claybar treatment is unnecessary unless there is actual dirt on the paint (you can feel it with your hand, as one poster mentioned). And an improper claybar treatment can damage the finish, so it's not foolproof either. DAMHIK.

I was a car washer/new car prep'r when in high school. Back then all we had was soap & water, gasoline (for stains) and cotton towels. And of course, that was back before clear coat and all these fancy polishes and treatments.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:15 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
The comment that Griot's is entry level is amusing. I bet the gents using it on their cars invited to Pebble Beach (and winning!) chuckle as well. The day I see any car anywhere with a more buttery soft, deep gleam than mine sports on a regular basis is the day I will consider changing my mind.
Griot's makes some good stuff, and I use many of his products. I think there's an awful lot of hype for over-priced stuff (think of a product that starts with "Z") and a fair amount of snobbery (yes, even in a Porsche forum!) over brands.

As Chuck suggested, technique is more important than the product used.

Quick Reply: Polish a New 991S on delivery