Sponsored by:

991S set a new lap record of 7:37.90 for Nordschleife beating 997.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 06:08 PM
Dag Johnsen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
With street tires, PSM will intervene just a little too early on a balanced throttle. On Sport Cups or better, I'm optimistic it will stay out, but I've not proven the case.

The only time I know PDCC is involved in when it relents and lets lean angle into the car -- it has some sort of "you're pushing your luck, Johnny" mode where it will deliberately reduce roll stiffness. Again, I can't figure out the exact algo that dictates these states, but there it is.

I'd love to see Porsche update the dash software to add a set of suspension or what it calls "chassis" settings for the driver to use a steering wheel thumb-scroll to adjust PDCC, etc. That would be worth paying for -- they could literally send me an offer "Dear Adam, for only $1000, we'll email you a file to put on a USB and stick in the glovebox. Tap your heels together three times, sit in the passenger seat and reach around (sorry, too graphic, I know) and start the engine while holding the PDK shifter in the upshift detent ... and wait for the dash software update to upload and reboot your car. Bingo, new menus ... like my kids buying $4.99 in-game "power ups" while my iTunes account ticks over like a one-armed poker machine...
Packing my bags, I`ll take one lap for you man :-)

Look at this video, see how the current fastest Porsche, the GT2 RS is catching the slowest one, the base Carrera (me inside, my friend in the GT2 RS) Use HD, camera is not steady so HD helps.
You can spot me at 5.33, the silver Porsche in front of a silver 996 with 590 horsepower, also a friend. GT2 RS catch me at 7.54 and I should have let him pass, but since his wife was in my car (slowing me down) :-) I let him stay behind me through the last turn.
He is almost 30 seconds faster than me, did a 7.16,9 that day when I did my 7.46. Traffic helped me to stay ahead a little, lucky me :-)

Old 10-10-2012, 07:00 PM
Anne
8th Gear

Slowing you down.... Of course by the weight. :-)
I can confirm that it was a great lap by Dag.

I have the 991 S myself and really wish I had the same setup as Dag, that is sportschassis and no PDCC.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:33 AM
Dag Johnsen
Instructor

Originally Posted by Anne
Slowing you down.... Of course by the weight. :-)
I can confirm that it was a great lap by Dag.

I have the 991 S myself and really wish I had the same setup as Dag, that is sportschassis and no PDCC.
Hey Anne!! If you were fat neither me or Kjetil would let you ride along See you soon, safe trip home from NY and hope the rain forcasted is just a joke
Old 10-11-2012, 04:32 AM
Dag Johnsen
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mark487
Is it known what spec the car used has? Obviously it's got bucket seats. Wonder about the chassi config and if it had power kit and/or PCCB. 1415 kg seems low.
Hi :-)

its a base 2012 Carrera 3.4 PDK 350 hp, Sport PASM -20 mm, Sport Chrono Plus, PTV diff, sport seats and 20" wheels. Standard P Zero tires. Official weight 1400 kilos, 15 less than the S. Normal standard brakes, fantastic!¨
No PDCC, scary stuff that system.

The car eating me up, 997 GT2 RS...
Old 10-11-2012, 06:40 AM
Dag Johnsen
Instructor

Maybe so. I can't tell. On track, deliberately studying PDCC/PTV, it's really hard to tell what's what. The 991S has some terrible habits with intervention, but they're quite subtle and require some deciphering to figure out what's PSM and what's really the vectoring just not on the right vector, Victor. If only there was a couple of switches on the dash alongside PSM to individually activate or totally deactivate SC, TC, or parts of PSM that could be adjusted manually, then there's PTV, ABD, EDTC, PDCC, engine mounts, and especially PASM, just give me a way to "click" PASM up and down, one click at a time for compression and rebound, maybe even fast and slow, corner by corner, electronically ... that would be fun.

It's one of those things where I'd like to try a totally analog 991, but that's not to say I'd like it. The 991 has become one of those machines that relies upon its electronics and perhaps it become quite unpleasant or even unmanageable without the electronics.
Listen to what they say between 8.20 and 8.50 in this video:
Old 10-11-2012, 11:48 PM
Anne
8th Gear

Maybe so. I can't tell. On track, deliberately studying PDCC/PTV, it's really hard to tell what's what. The 991S has some terrible habits with intervention, but they're quite subtle and require some deciphering to figure out what's PSM and what's really the vectoring just not on the right vector, Victor. If only there was a couple of switches on the dash alongside PSM to individually activate or totally deactivate SC, TC, or parts of PSM that could be adjusted manually, then there's PTV, ABD, EDTC, PDCC, engine mounts, and especially PASM, just give me a way to "click" PASM up and down, one click at a time for compression and rebound, maybe even fast and slow, corner by corner, electronically ... that would be fun.

It's one of those things where I'd like to try a totally analog 991, but that's not to say I'd like it. The 991 has become one of those machines that relies upon its electronics and perhaps it become quite unpleasant or even unmanageable without the electronics.
I think you are on to something important here.

I drove a 997 S for 3,5 years. PDK, Sport Chrono Plus. Completely stock, no PSE or sports suspension. I had many laps on Nurburgring and I loved it. I was really confident with the car and I always felt that the car did what I wanted it to, no negative surprises. The only thing I would have liked to change was to have a stiffer chassis and maybe the seats and belts.

When I was getting my 991 S this summer my expectations were really high. I was expecting a faster car with stiffer chassis and a sharper turn in.
On the road and on the autobahn it felt quite nice, I only felt some unstability at very high speed when going over some crests.
But when I came on my first lap on Nurburgring I was quite shocked. The car felt much softer than the 997, and when turning in corners there was something very strange going on and it was coming from the rear, as if the whole car was twitching. But the worst was how unstable the car was over high speed crests like for instance Schwedenkreutz and the crest before the left turn in Kesselchen. Even when I went at a lower speed than with the 997 the car was so unstable that it went all over the place, passengers also commented that. Needless to say my confidence in the car is not very high.
I started out with Sport Plus and hard suspension as I always did with the 997, but since the car was acting the way it did I tried all combinations. On most parts of the track Sport and the softer suspension worked better.

I have PSE on my 991 S, PDK, Sport Chrono, PDCC, Torque Vectoring and 20" wheels. No sports suspension SPASM. (Didn't spec it myself, just bought it out of the shop.)

I am quite sure it is the PDCC that is ****ing up the handling. So if there was a button to turn it off or a software update, and I also could get the SPASM I would definetly have the perfect car. :-)

I also think the 991 GT3 will be a perfect car, even if its not such an allround car as the Carreras. There should be a good chance that they have made different choices. I hope. :-)

Last edited by Anne; 10-12-2012 at 12:10 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:35 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Received 350 Likes on 200 Posts

I think you are on to something important here.
. . .
But when I came on my first lap on Nurburgring I was quite shocked. The car felt much softer than the 997, and when turning in corners there was something very strange going on and it was coming from the rear, as if the whole car was twitching . . . .

I have PSE on my 991 S, PDK, Sport Chrono, PDCC, Torque Vectoring and 20" wheels. No sports suspension SPASM. (Didn't spec it myself, just bought it out of the shop.)

I am quite sure it is the PDCC that is ****ing up the handling. So if there was a button to turn it off or a software update, and I also could get the SPASM I would definetly have the perfect car. :-)
I too have concerns with "twitching".

Have a mid-May build 991S, 3800km driven so far, PDK, Sport Chrono, PDCC, Sport PASM, 20" wheels.

On higher speed highway cloverleaf onramps, really pushing the lateral G's, 90km/h range, the car sometimes has a slight twitching as if the grip was intermittent. Reminded me of a set of Kumho tires I used years ago on my 996. During highway high speed turns, the tires had a twitchy feeling. I attributed this to low tire pressure and corrected the issue with higher tire pressures. (Had been using slightly lower pressures for comfort reasons on 996 Sport chassis.)

With the 991S I automatically assumed the twitching is a tire issue but now reading the forums, I am not so sure. I have not played with tire pressures and repeated the onramp test and unfortunately have not had a chance for any track days with the 991S.

I have not seen any twitching criticism from press tests on this.

What tires were used when the twitching occurred and at what pressures?

Last edited by CarManDSL; 10-12-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:57 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CarManDSL

Have a mid-May build 991S, 3800km driven so far, PDK, Sport Chrono, PDCC, Sport PASM, 20" wheels.

On higher speed highway cloverleaf onramps, really pushing the lateral G's, 90km/h range, the car sometimes has a slight twitching as if the grip was intermittent. Reminded me of a set of Kumho tires I used years ago on my 996. During highway high speed turns, the tires had a twitchy feeling. I attributed this to and corrected the issue with higher tire pressures. (Had been using slightly lower pressures for comfort reasons on 996 Sport chassis.)

With the 991S I automatically assumed the twitching is a tire issue but now reading the forums, I am not so sure. I have not played with tire pressures and repeated the onramp test and unfortunately have not had a chance for any track days with the 991S.

The lower "comfort" setting of tire pressure could be causing PDCC to make bad decisions. I run the tires at the lower pressure because I find the ride quality to be overly harsh (even compared to a GT3 RS, road for road, butt for butt) and yet too compliant on the track.

I never push the car hard enough on the road to challenge PDCC to really earn its keep (if it can at all) but even a sweeping freeway ramp or the winding mountain road (about ten miles of it) are enough to have the 991S with Sport-PASM and PDCC making all kinds of peculiar moves in the rear.

Had the same bad manners appeared in my old 996 GT3, I would have had it on the service hoist and every nut, bolt, bushing, damper, spring, tire, wheel, hub and bearing removed, inspected and replaced until I found the cause of such erratic jolts and dips and hiccups.

I fail to see how the 991S got out of the road driving phase of development with such awkward gaps in its setup. Perhaps they were so preoccupied with bolting all these expensive add-ons onto the price list, they neglected to first bolt them onto a car and go for a nice long drive in the hills. Perhaps too much of the R&D was done on earlier PASM -- or even conventional dampers to remove all the electronic derivatives, to let the engineers and test drivers drive the car, not drive their own software algorithms -- leaving them with insufficient seat time to do anything but a halfway decent job then meet their deadlines.

I can't really just point at PDCC with a bony finger of accusation, because this could be as simple as tires and tire pressure (the two most important actors in the suspension setup.)

Still, I would love to let my finger tap on the mouse to select "conventional spring and damper" instead of the $10K of "options" that go into the 991S suspension ...
Old 10-12-2012, 03:50 PM
Anne
8th Gear

On higher speed highway cloverleaf onramps, really pushing the lateral G's, 90km/h range, the car sometimes has a slight twitching as if the grip was intermittent. Reminded me of a set of Kumho tires I used years ago on my 996. During highway high speed turns, the tires had a twitchy feeling. I attributed this to low tire pressure and corrected the issue with higher tire pressures. (Had been using slightly lower pressures for comfort reasons on 996 Sport chassis.)

The car was delivered with standard P Zero tires. For these I use the standard pressure as marked in the door, if I remember correct it is 2,2 and 2,7. As soon as the tires get warm I take out air to maintain the same pressure also when warm. With the cup tires I would have taken out quite a bit more.

But I really dont think this is a tire problem...

Still, I would love to let my finger tap on the mouse to select "conventional spring and damper" instead of the $10K of "options" that go into the 991S suspension ...
+1
Old 10-12-2012, 09:29 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Received 350 Likes on 200 Posts

. . .
I can't really just point at PDCC with a bony finger of accusation, because this could be as simple as tires and tire pressure (the two most important actors in the suspension setup.)

The car was delivered with standard P Zero tires. For these I use the standard pressure as marked in the door, if I remember correct it is 2,2 and 2,7. As soon as the tires get warm I take out air to maintain the same pressure also when warm. With the cup tires I would have taken out quite a bit more.

But I really dont think this is a tire problem...

Just topped up the pressure to full recommended 36/44 psi. Had been running 32/38 for street use. Will try the on ramp when it is dry again.

So, being that no one has mentioned another brand of 20" tires, other then the stock P Zero's, this leaves this twitching issue unresolved.

Why hasn't this been mentioned in any press revues?
Old 10-12-2012, 09:59 PM
Anne
8th Gear

Just topped up the pressure to full recommended 36/44 psi. Had been running 32/38 for street use. Will try the on ramp when it is dry again.

So, being that no one has mentioned another brand of 20" tires, other then the stock P Zero's, this leaves this twitching issue unresolved.

Why hasn't this been mentioned in any press revues?
A good question. But I guess the manufacturers have some kind of power over parts of the press? Dag found something on this when googling before purchasing, more of us should apparantly do a better job checking out before purchasing...

The tires have the corrct marks on them that show that they are approved by Porsche.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:38 PM
Scott997
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I believed those numbers until I tested 2010 997.2 GT3 VS my 991S PDK around PBIR.
GT3 on Supersports, 991 on stock pirellis
GT3 just has SRF fluid and PFC pads.

991S 5 seconds lower a lap consistently and I run consistent lap times.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:23 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scott997
I believed those numbers until I tested 2010 997.2 GT3 VS my 991S PDK around PBIR.
GT3 on Supersports, 991 on stock pirellis
GT3 just has SRF fluid and PFC pads.

991S 5 seconds lower a lap consistently and I run consistent lap times.
Which times, the ring time published by Porsche? That's credible and it's just a "pecking order" ordained by the marketing boffins*, not a real or absolute measure.

Did you mean to write "lower" or "slower" ... ?

I've run 991S and 997 GTS side by side and the 991S is quicker in a straight line acceleration from rolling in 1st, both PDK. 991S is as quick in lap times running Pzero versus 997.2S on RA1.

I imagine, with familiarity, you'll find the 991S the quicker of the two -- Porsche just makes 'em that way. Let's see what they do to slot the 991 GT3 in at the RS 3.8 level, just a tad "less" than the RS in some ways, but neatly "more" than the 997.2 GT3 ... it's a bit comical really, especially since these cars are now about a 100 horsepower under of the market and even the 991 Turbo is rumored to be "only" 550 neddies..

The perennial "Porsche is not about highest horsepower" considerations still apply to the 991, but where will we be come the 991.2 GT2 RS ... 700 hp? ... how can Porsche keep the 911 models all neatly pancake stacked under 700 horses? Surely the 500 horse RS 4.0 will be overtaken by the 991.1 RS (presumably at just about 480 horse, give or take interpolation ... or is it extrapolation?** ... of historical increments, model to model.)

Given the 991.1 GT3 appears to be wide body, that's one less difference the RS will boast. At about 15hp delta, give or take a flywheel or a gear ratio, presumably Porsche has concluded upon a different way of making the RS stand above the GT3. Weight? Aero? ... <gulp> ... electronics?

It looks like these are 2014 models (Frankfurter, Sep '13?) so the long range forecasting is a bit foggy/silly. <insert obligatory comment on needing proper steering>

* I hold Porsche marketing in such high regard.
* Maybe the 991.1 or .2 RS will be a bombshell of high horsepower, but given the guestimated 550 hp in the triple turbo 991.1 Turbo, surely the 991.1 RS will be no more than 500 in deference to the (by then) aging memory of the RS 4.0.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:09 PM
arena-RTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, so he started the lap timer at the end of the first straight, and stopped at the beginning... Nissan did this with their GTR lap "record" (
) I don't think that's what they normally consider "bridge to gantry"... can anyone else tell me why they aren't timing a full lap?
Old 10-16-2012, 08:20 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by arena-RTR
Ok, so he started the lap timer at the end of the first straight, and stopped at the beginning... Nissan did this with their GTR lap "record" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANvlNGMOets) I don't think that's what they normally consider "bridge to gantry"... can anyone else tell me why they aren't timing a full lap?
Someone here (thread thread or at the GT forum) that it's an acknowledged "standard" segment of the track used by Autocar or autobild magazine and adopted by others when trying to get an apples to aapl's comparison.

Quick Reply: 991S set a new lap record of 7:37.90 for Nordschleife beating 997.2 GT3