Sponsored by:

Just to Introduce Myself...

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 01:08 PM
m33porsche
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just to Introduce Myself...

ex, and still a bit Audi fanboy, but always a devoted porsche appreciator I finally went for a 991 to create the right memory for me. I had a very unsatisfactory affair with a 997.1s.

Happy to say I loving my base car, platinum silver, 20' classics, pdk and sport plus - a great combination -

So much more complete and together that my RS5 and the pdk is out of this world - that's the death of manual for me...

Few pictures from sunny UK

And the RS for comparison

Hope you like

m33
Old 09-30-2012, 01:16 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

Welcome,...two very nice cars. Hopefully your experience with the 991 is much better than the 997.1
May I ask why the 997.1 was unsatisfactory?

Are you keeping both the 991 & RS?
Old 09-30-2012, 01:32 PM
m33porsche
Intermediate

Thx Rocket Boy - The 997.1 was my first Porsche and I broke every rule and went into the showroom with my heart on my sleave.

It was a used example with c 8k on the clock and not a considerable amount of tread left. 9 months in and 1st service plus tyres saw a bill of £1.4k, welcome to porsche. Having come from BMW's this was unpleasant territory.

It was an arctic silver manual 997s, lumpy ride, rattly interior, stiff clutch, tyre noise from hell - a culture shock for me coming from executive hush of the beemers - a learning experience

Got rid before the 2 yr warranty was up for fear of further +1k expense. Tarnished my porsche love affair but got the bug after buying a 987 Boxster s from new. Fantastic drive/noise but couldn't live with the looks. Now finally done what I always wanted to do, a new carrera.

Feel very proud to be among the relative few lucky enough to be able to enjoy such a car...
Old 09-30-2012, 02:03 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by m33porsche
Thx Rocket Boy - The 997.1 was my first Porsche and I broke every rule and went into the showroom with my heart on my sleave.

It was a used example with c 8k on the clock and not a considerable amount of tread left. 9 months in and 1st service plus tyres saw a bill of £1.4k, welcome to porsche. Having come from BMW's this was unpleasant territory.

It was an arctic silver manual 997s, lumpy ride, rattly interior, stiff clutch, tyre noise from hell - a culture shock for me coming from executive hush of the beemers - a learning experience

Got rid before the 2 yr warranty was up for fear of further +1k expense. Tarnished my porsche love affair but got the bug after buying a 987 Boxster s from new. Fantastic drive/noise but couldn't live with the looks. Now finally done what I always wanted to do, a new carrera.

Feel very proud to be among the relative few lucky enough to be able to enjoy such a car...

I hear you as Porsche is a little different on many fronts compared to most other manufactures, and while I consider the 997.2 C4S I will be giving up for the 991 a fantastic car,.....the 991 took a giant step forward in just about every area for me.

I'm afraid you still may have the tire shock in the future though, these cars are definitely not easy on them. Start saving now!

Hopefully you will enjoy yours for many trouble free miles!
Old 09-30-2012, 02:32 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome.

The "shiny mirror" Audi's are not to be sniffed at, but you're in a-whole-nother league with the 911 ... even in "base" model.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:11 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Welcome. I went from a BMW to a 997. Actually still have both, but plan to get a 991 soon. My mock-up 991 is very close to what you have-Silver, no sunroof, pdk. May I ask why you went with the 20"? I had 19s on my 997 and went to 18s. Thinking of sticking with the 19s on the 991. Very smart looking car. Enjoy the weather too. Cheers.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:33 AM
deturney
Instructor

Welcome, I hope you have a good experience this time.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:53 AM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Nice car! You have a great taste
Do you have PASM with those 20"s?
Old 10-01-2012, 04:50 AM
Alphajor
6th Gear

Congrats M33, you have one beautiful car!
I dont get why call it "Base", is it me or it sounds pejorative for one freakin' fast and spectacular car?, Never seen a Porsche catalog or brochure where they use that designation, its a -911 Carrera- in this part of the world, and Carrera means "Race" in spanish.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:10 PM
m33porsche
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Alphajor
I dont get why call it "Base", is it me or it sounds pejorative for one freakin' fast and spectacular car?, Never seen a Porsche catalog or brochure where they use that designation, its a -911 Carrera- in this part of the world, and Carrera means "Race" in spanish.
thx alphajor - wasnt meant to be pejorative, just that most on here seem to have the s version so thought id draw the distinction. However i do agree that it is some machine, completely complete if you know what i mean

no pasm btw - and with the 20's it seems OK - all relative coming from an rs5 though..
Old 10-01-2012, 07:53 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Alphajor
I totally agree, we dont call it Base either, the proper designation is "911 Carrera". I dont know where this Base thing comes from, maybe from the S guys.
If one model is a Base, then the other should be called "Base S". I'll go and ask the Turbo and GT3 guys for their opinion hehe, either way, both are amazing cars.

To the OP, I dont have PASM either and find it perfectly balanced for a DD sports car, even with 20"s.

Last edited by Galion; 10-01-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:25 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Galion
I agree, we dont call it Base either, the proper designation is 911 Carrera. I dont know where does this comes from, maybe from the S guys.
If one model is a Base, then the other should be called "Base S". I'll go an ask the Turbo and GT3 guys their opinion, haha. Either way, both are amazing cars.

To the OP, I dont have PASM either and find it perfectly balanced for a DD sports car.
I don't think thee's anything meant to denigrate the Carrera by calling it the "base model" -- at least in several world markets, this is a reference to "base" model pricing, common in the auto industry to reference the packaging of the given vehicle and explain the MSRP.

Personally, I think if ego and social status broadcasting were not the overriding factors in the decisions of many Porsche owners, the base model 997 Carrera was an outstanding car and would have been their biggest selling car in half a century.

The mistaken "goal" of the sales organisation is to use any means necessary to induce the individual customer to spend the most possible dollars -- somewhat ironically, in the long run, this is not the best outcome for vendor or consumer.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:40 PM
cmb13
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Welcome! Beautiful 911.

I just had to Google the Hythe Marina. That looks like such an amazing place to live! I live in a waterfront neighborhood in South Florida, but the concept of that Marina looks really nice.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:44 AM
DBYT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No need to get one's knickers in a twist. The most likely reason it is called the base model is because it is the base on which all other 911 derivations are built or designed from. So it is not derogatory to call it a base model.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:32 PM
m33porsche
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cmb13
Welcome! Beautiful 911.

I just had to Google the Hythe Marina. That looks like such an amazing place to live! I live in a waterfront neighborhood in South Florida, but the concept of that Marina looks really nice.
hehe - would rather be in south florida thou....

Quick Reply: Just to Introduce Myself...