Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a Porsche - Advice, financing

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 05:46 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Tie up $100K or borrow at .49% and invest the cash?

Let's not forget the not too distant past; $100K can become $70K. And if you want a sure thing, let's not forget Bernie Madoff.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:22 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschegaleno
Im just a simple guy who through hard work is finally able to afford a NEW 911 (I dont like to buy used stuff - If you have to buy a used car then maybe you can't really afford a porsche --- just kidding . I dont want to start another controversy). It'll be my first and last one probably. I have worked hard all of my life and my walls have been filled with posters of Porsches all my life. Finally I'll be able to afford a 911. I know Im losing a bunch of $$$ in the first year but thats ok.
That is me all the way. After more than 15 years driving a '79 SC I am finally getting within reach of a new 911. The comments above about it being harder to spend what you've saved vs borrowed are true, as true as the reality that you can just as easily lose it all in the markets. Anyone can run the numbers, but nobody can put a price on the value of collecting your very own personally spec'd Porsche, especially not one you have spent most of your life dreaming about- and will probably enjoy driving for the rest of your life.

You mentioned liking your color choice partly because you'd seen it a lot. Some potentially very nice options out there are hard to choose simply because it is so hard finding examples to know what you're really getting into. In my case for example I'm really liking Anthracite Brown over Espresso full leather, even though I've seen no real life examples. With painted vents, dash, door and center console trim in body color, should be a very rich, sophisticated look. Check out Z356 posts on these kinds of options. Guys like us, we get maybe one chance (if we are lucky) at something like this, might as well take the time to do it right.

Good luck!
Old 09-24-2012, 08:21 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Well My friends I road tested a 911 cabriolet S (991) manual, today. Im addicted to Porsche, I have become a junkie . Im still shopping around but I still need your help guys with some questions.
This is my build, any ideas???

911 Carrera S
$96,400

Premium Package Plus
$4,650
BOSE® Audio Package
$2,420
Dark Blue Metallic
$710
Platinum Grey leather seats
$1,555
ParkAssist (front and rear)
$990
Rear windshield wiper
$360
20-inch Carrera S wheel
$0
Wheel center caps with colored Porsche Crest
$185
Power Sport Seats (14-way)
$0
Smoking package
$0
Steering wheel heating
$270
Destination Charge: $950

TOTAL: $108,490

Any ideas will be truly appreciated.
Questions:
1) At what point you apply for the car loan? When you give the first deposit? after the second deposit? When you place the order? When the car is in the port? When the Car is ready to be picked up?
2) do you recommend Porsche financing? Whats a good % to get?
3)is park assist worth the grand?

Thanks guys
if you plan to keep it 5 years or longer, buy it outright (or finance it if that is your financial situation). if shorter, or can run through your business (like me), lease it either way, enjoy it
Old 09-24-2012, 08:25 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
Tie up $100K or borrow at .49% and invest the cash?

Let's not forget the not too distant past; $100K can become $70K. And if you want a sure thing, let's not forget Bernie Madoff.
+1000 I would never "buy" a depreciating asset. I get bored far too easily, and love the convenience of leasing. you pay a tick more in the LT, no doubt, but you always have something new / better. Those that have 15-20 year old porsche's and tell me they still Love them (as much as the new 991) are frankly drinking the proverbial Koolaid
Old 12-05-2012, 02:44 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
That's just dumb IMO! You can have millions,it doesn't matter,you finance because you don't want to have 130K tied up in a stupid car(even if it's a Porsche)! You can use that cash for investments and in 4-5 years(duration of the loan) you can double or triple it.
Totally agree. I do (partially) finance my cars. When rates are this low - assuming you have 770+ FICO (I suggest that when buying a P-car then this should be in the zone) you in effect have a leveraged loan. The only time this has not worked for me - ie investments return > loan cost, was from 3Q-07 to 1Q-09. But I keep a spreadsheet and I am way up.

But for my mental wellbeing I make sure I have a couple of years' depreciation at a min. as a down pmt. Then depending on rates fin over 3-5 (typically pay off early).
Old 12-05-2012, 02:57 PM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 917k
Totally agree. I do (partially) finance my cars. When rates are this low - assuming you have 770+ FICO (I suggest that when buying a P-car then this should be in the zone) you in effect have a leveraged loan. The only time this has not worked for me - ie investments return > loan cost, was from 3Q-07 to 1Q-09. But I keep a spreadsheet and I am way up.

But for my mental wellbeing I make sure I have a couple of years' depreciation at a min. as a down pmt. Then depending on rates fin over 3-5 (typically pay off early).
Yes, but you can buy a used car with most of the depreciation already paid for and not have nearly the amount of overhead to try to make up in investments.
You'll also keep more of your cash.
The following users liked this post:
maschinetheist (08-31-2020)
Old 12-05-2012, 03:04 PM
991Dreamer
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My two cents: as long as you are taking care of your other obligations (family, retirement, etc) why not live a little along the way. If you can afford to put 75% down and finance the other 25% and easily pay your other bills, you can afford this car. Life is too short to be all about the $$$. Funny how we all have things that are just not worth it. I will spend $100k on this car but won't pay $5 for a cup of coffee at Starbucks. Not because I don't love the coffee but it's just not worth the money to me. Gotta be able to live with the decisions you make.

BTW-my credit union is offering 1.74% for up to 6 yrs.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:47 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Well My friends I road tested a 911 cabriolet S (991) manual, today. Im addicted to Porsche, I have become a junkie . Im still shopping around but I still need your help guys with some questions.
This is my build, any ideas???
Good build. Parking assist for the rear comes standard with my Cab and I wouldn't have ordered it, but find it works well and is helpful occasionally. As for the rest of the debate, let me quote a pretty smart guy: "Always budget the luxuries first."

Being a sensible guy, that sounded like terrible advice when I read it about 45 years ago, and it really is a terrible thing to tell a person who inclines to... let's say personal indulgence. But over the years I've realized the value in it. Indulgent people, especially self-indulgent ones, always will be that way, whatever advice they read. For the rest of us...

I took it as marital advice for sensible people and treated it that way. I always budgeted luxuries for her first, because I learned that I worked as hard as was needed to make the essentials happen. I might have just said "It's only a whim" if it came to working a second job to get one of us a toy, but the toys illuminate a life. The essentials just are. Essential that is. So we work as hard as we must to take care of those, but it's very easy to lose track of lighting up the rooms we build that way.

She managed to tempt me occasionally into luxuries like sports cars and diving gear and flying, so it wasn't one-sided, but I had to think of that rule as being advice for treating one's family, or it would have felt self-indulgent and I grew up with a horror of that sin. On the evidence, Cindy thought of it the same way in reverse. It worked for us for fifty years, so I commend it to all the sensible people I know.

Budget the luxuries first. Then work your *** off providing the essentials.

You can feel secure in the grave.

Gary, indulging himself now
Old 12-06-2012, 01:03 AM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
Good build. Parking assist for the rear comes standard with my Cab and I wouldn't have ordered it, but find it works well and is helpful occasionally. As for the rest of the debate, let me quote a pretty smart guy: "Always budget the luxuries first."

Being a sensible guy, that sounded like terrible advice when I read it about 45 years ago, and it really is a terrible thing to tell a person who inclines to... let's say personal indulgence. But over the years I've realized the value in it. Indulgent people, especially self-indulgent ones, always will be that way, whatever advice they read. For the rest of us...

I took it as marital advice for sensible people and treated it that way. I always budgeted luxuries for her first, because I learned that I worked as hard as was needed to make the essentials happen. I might have just said "It's only a whim" if it came to working a second job to get one of us a toy, but the toys illuminate a life. The essentials just are. Essential that is. So we work as hard as we must to take care of those, but it's very easy to lose track of lighting up the rooms we build that way.

She managed to tempt me occasionally into luxuries like sports cars and diving gear and flying, so it wasn't one-sided, but I had to think of that rule as being advice for treating one's family, or it would have felt self-indulgent and I grew up with a horror of that sin. On the evidence, Cindy thought of it the same way in reverse. It worked for us for fifty years, so I commend it to all the sensible people I know.

Budget the luxuries first. Then work your *** off providing the essentials.

You can feel secure in the grave.

Gary, indulging himself now
Statements like these have made me value your advice Sir, in the brief time I have been here on rennlist, even if I don't necessarily agree with you. Thank you for those pearls. And, that was a real thank you, not sarcasm.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:25 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I love how 3 month old threads get revived....I'm sure the OP has either bought a car by now or moved on. Just sayin'
Old 12-07-2012, 02:31 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
That's just dumb IMO! You can have millions,it doesn't matter,you finance because you don't want to have 130K tied up in a stupid car(even if it's a Porsche)! You can use that cash for investments and in 4-5 years(duration of the loan) you can double or triple it.
Let's not get into opportunity cost here.

Quick Reply: Buying a Porsche - Advice, financing