Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK - Sport Plus/Chrono in manual mode - SURPRISE DOWNSHIFT !!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 05:31 PM
Marc
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vise,

The kick down sw can be stopped from kicking by using a tie wrap.

You can use the thread with NOAH and I regarding this subject. I believe is post 51 or 52. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Fect View Post
See my earlier post on modifying my throttle return spring. All of this info will apply equally to the 991 as long as the relevant assembly part numbers are the same.

Again, it should go without saying that this is an unusually dangerous part of the car to mess around with. You need to understand that if you alter or modify the pedal assembly, anything that ever goes wrong with the throttle will be considered your fault, whether it is in fact your fault or not. Fair warning!
Noah,

Thank you for the instructions. And not to worry, your fair warning has been dully noted.

Now I am just waiting for a day where I have the patience to become a contortionist and be able to reach the pedal assy.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:57 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,601 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by stronbl
I have not experienced this "feature" in Sport Plus manual mode. I bounce off the rev limiter all day w/out upshift -- in Sport Plus auto mode, up shift at redline (rev limit) is built in and happens.

I have not tested same in Sport manual mode so that could be the difference.
have you hit the kick down though?
Old 03-05-2015, 06:08 PM
Marc
Track Day

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
have you hit the kick down though?
With the tie wrap you can trigger the sw if you press hard on the accelerator. Otherwise, it works nice for me
Old 03-05-2015, 06:26 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marc
With the tie wrap you can trigger the sw if you press hard on the accelerator. Otherwise, it works nice for me
I wish we could confirm that the 'kick down' is simple mechanical feedback and the function is actuated via pedal deflection measurement ... I'd love to simply get an MT pedal and swapout the PDK version thus getting rid of it entirely ...
Old 03-05-2015, 07:16 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 325 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc
Vise,

The kick down sw can be stopped from kicking by using a tie wrap.

You can use the thread with NOAH and I regarding this subject. I believe is post 51 or 52. Good luck.
Thanks for the reply! That said not following what you did, do you have any pics or a description of where exactly you attached the tie wrap?
Old 03-05-2015, 07:42 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I wish we could confirm that the 'kick down' is simple mechanical feedback and the function is actuated via pedal deflection measurement ...
That is unquestionably the case.

I'd love to simply get an MT pedal and swapout the PDK version thus getting rid of it entirely ...
That, however, I'm not sure would work. There is quite a bit of 'intelligence' in the pedal assembly.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:20 PM
mschuster

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Yes. A tie wrap is a safety issue. Either learn to not press through the kick-down or don't buy a PDK.

Mike
Old 03-05-2015, 11:58 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mschuster
Yes. A tie wrap is a safety issue. Either learn to not press through the kick-down or don't buy a PDK.

Mike
I'm thinking; depending upon the diameter and height of the gap under the kick down switch either a spilt ring washer or a piece of plastic (plumbing) pipe split
may do a better job than a tie wrap.

what I want to do is find a breakers yard with a 991 S in it and buy the accelerator assembly and try installing that to determine if the kickdown is
based on a switch in the pedal or upon the potentiometer setting....
Old 03-06-2015, 04:28 PM
mschuster

In an emergency or if you are hit by another car, it is possible that the pedal gets jammed HARD. Anything added or modified around there could bind, break, or jam. I thought about replacing the spring in the switch with a heavier spring to provide more resistance, but this is not fool-proof either. My umbrella liability policy is high, but probably not high enough. I decided not to risk it. Porsche needs to provide a kick-down delete option, but they likely won't, not for the mass-market car anyway.

Mike
Old 03-06-2015, 06:22 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

In an emergency or if you are hit by another car, it is possible that the pedal gets jammed HARD. Anything added or modified around there could bind, break, or jam. I thought about replacing the spring in the switch with a heavier spring to provide more resistance, but this is not fool-proof either. My umbrella liability policy is high, but probably not high enough. I decided not to risk it. Porsche needs to provide a kick-down delete option, but they likely won't, not for the mass-market car anyway.

Mike
I checked in the Porsche Electronic Parts catalog, there are two distinct part #'s for accelerator pedal, now obviously one has the 'kickdown switch' and one does not... the burning question is, is the kickdown swtich merely mechanical feedback or is it in fact the actuator ... my guess is the pedals would be compatible beyond that...
Old 03-06-2015, 08:19 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Mike
Most insurances don't cover your vehicle if it goes on the track anyway. What about the danger of hitting a guardrail or tire wall coming out of a turn if the kick down causes you to loose traction? Will Porsche be there to help or will they ride the wave of ignorance like GM did with there ignition problems?
Old 03-06-2015, 08:47 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,189 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
Most insurances don't cover your vehicle if it goes on the track anyway. What about the danger of hitting a guardrail or tire wall coming out of a turn if the kick down causes you to loose traction? Will Porsche be there to help or will they ride the wave of ignorance like GM did with there ignition problems?
The latter, I am sure!
Old 03-07-2015, 08:41 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

So wait... We have to drag out GM to find an example of a manufacturer ignoring and then denying widespread catastrophic problems with their cars before later being forced to own up to it in court? Cough...M96...Cough.

Old 03-07-2015, 12:39 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Noah Fect

That, however, I'm not sure would work. There is quite a bit of 'intelligence' in the pedal assembly.
I dont agree I'm not sure what you are basing your statements on, do you have more information than I do on this, or is this merely your opinion (also)

... the wiring harness and the rest of the electrical system is the same so from the connectors onwards the parts are compatible, as is the electrical system

OT: BTW I think the PDK unit is also swappable, so when the new 991.2 comes out with the sense of the manual shift 'fixed' this is also a possible
swap too
Old 03-08-2015, 04:19 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
Most insurances don't cover your vehicle if it goes on the track anyway.
Here we go again. Oh how I wish people would stop parroting this. Its simply not true. In ten years with PCA including several as a region board member and as president where believe you me I heard more than anyone would ever want to hear on this subject, there was not one single instance anyone knew of anywhere in the USA where insurance did not cover a loss at a DE event. And not even special event insurance but just your ordinary everyday driving insurance. I've asked before and will ask again: no rumors, theories or other jawboning, just one example where the insurance company successfully denied a claim. Just one.

Quick Reply: PDK - Sport Plus/Chrono in manual mode - SURPRISE DOWNSHIFT !!!