Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK - Sport Plus/Chrono in manual mode - SURPRISE DOWNSHIFT !!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 07:10 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 197 Posts
Default PDK - Sport Plus/Chrono in manual mode - SURPRISE DOWNSHIFT !!!

My mid May 991S is nearly broken in and am starting to be more and more aggressive.

While in Sport Plus manual shift mode (Sport Chrono/Sport PASM/PDCC) the PDK does not allow you to take full control of a "manual" nature.

While rounding a sharp right hand turn in second gear at higher revs, once around the turn and with the engine still at about 5K RPM, I floored it.
SURPRISE DOWNSHIFT into 1st, and since I floored it it hits the rev limiter instantly before I can react to upshift. WTF!!

My point is that "manual" even in the most aggressive settings, still will not let you take manual shifting control.

Is there a means to over ride this?
Are others finding this rather lame for Porsche to program auto downshift control even in the most aggressive settings?

I can see preventing a downshift if it would cause over reving.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:42 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

I suppose Sport Plus is programmed for aggressive track use, and the algorithm wasn't designed for cornering at less than absolute max effort.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:01 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

On the 7MT, 5K in 2nd gear is 50 mph and right when I start hitting the sweet power spot up to 8000 or 8500 or so when I shift into 3rd..anyway. A downshift right then would be a surprise for sure I think you hit the button on the floor under the accelerator pedal. It forces the car to downshift if at all possible. Just avoid pressing that button if you floor it and definitely do not want to downshift (you can feel it engage, I had a PDK 997.2).

It's weird driving an accelerator pedal without that button under it after the last two double-clutch automated manual cars I've driven..lol. Gosh these cars are fun.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:13 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

The figging button! So thats what it does. I thought it was to call the butler, like the one on the Bently.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:40 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
The figging button! So thats what it does. I thought it was to call the butler, like the one on the Bently.
Lol!!!
Old 09-12-2012, 10:08 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, forgot about the kickdown button, page 156/7 of the manual.
Definitely noticeable on the accelerator pedal.

Happy kickdowning!
Old 09-12-2012, 10:43 PM
TOporschefan
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 61 Posts

Hey Nicoli35 why did you opt for the 7spd manual after having PDK in the 997.2? I have 7MT and really enjoying it. It is crazy how aggressive the car gets after 5k just like you mentioned. Why are you taking it past 7400 that's redline.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:36 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TOporschefan
Hey Nicoli35 why did you opt for the 7spd manual after having PDK in the 997.2? I have 7MT and really enjoying it. It is crazy how aggressive the car gets after 5k just like you mentioned. Why are you taking it past 7400 that's redline.
Well, I drive it more by feel than by exact numbers but for sure, I haven't hit the rev limiter even by 8500.

Love the 7MT, though I'm a short guy and have to move the seat a tad farther forward to comfortably operate the clutch..hence tried double clutch automated manuals the last two cars (an '09 C4S pdk and a '13 Audi S5 DSG). I like the PDK, and got pretty good (I thought, lol) at using the paddles and shifter both in manual and automated modes. I could start out in manual mode first gear, get the car up to 40-50 with a great big exhaust whine (had Fabspeed on the '09 PDK), then shift the PDK up into second taking off the gas a bit and it sounded just wonderful..hehe.

This just feels nice and pure, sort of simplifies the 991 for me. Almost ordered a 991 C4S PDK..but this just made sense and felt like bad karma to pass it up. Decided I'll row some gears and wiggle the rear end until my leg gives out.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:20 AM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicoli35
Well, I drive it more by feel than by exact numbers but for sure, I haven't hit the rev limiter even by 8500.

Love the 7MT, though I'm a short guy and have to move the seat a tad farther forward to comfortably operate the clutch..hence tried double clutch automated manuals the last two cars (an '09 C4S pdk and a '13 Audi S5 DSG). I like the PDK, and got pretty good (I thought, lol) at using the paddles and shifter both in manual and automated modes. I could start out in manual mode first gear, get the car up to 40-50 with a great big exhaust whine (had Fabspeed on the '09 PDK), then shift the PDK up into second taking off the gas a bit and it sounded just wonderful..hehe.

This just feels nice and pure, sort of simplifies the 991 for me. Almost ordered a 991 C4S PDK..but this just made sense and felt like bad karma to pass it up. Decided I'll row some gears and wiggle the rear end until my leg gives out.
Didn't you just buy this car? How many miles are on it now?
Old 09-13-2012, 11:50 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The entire premise of the 991 (most modern performance cars for that matter) is that the car knows how to drive better than you. So you should not be surprised when it disobeys a direct order. You're a co-driver after all You pay the big bucks for all the whiz-bang acronyms stuffed into these techno marvels, and presumably that's why you bought it!
Old 09-13-2012, 12:07 PM
stubenhocker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pcar964
The entire premise of the 991 (most modern performance cars for that matter) is that the car knows how to drive better than you. So you should not be surprised when it disobeys a direct order. You're a co-driver after all You pay the big bucks for all the whiz-bang acronyms stuffed into these techno marvels, and presumably that's why you bought it!
You are correct sir, the tyranny of technology.

It's interesting to watch the technology morph from improving lives to controlling lives.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:17 PM
scott parker
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You obviously hit the kickdown switch at the bottom of the pedal, dont press it all the way down next time
Old 09-13-2012, 12:41 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by pcar964
Actually it just takes your stomping on the kickdown button seriously and does your bidding. Exactily like steping on the clutch and moving the lever with your hand to change gears. The solution is to RTFM and learn how to drive the vehical.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:07 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Actually it just takes your stomping on the kickdown button seriously and does your bidding. Exactily like steping on the clutch and moving the lever with your hand to change gears. The solution is to RTFM and learn how to drive the vehical.
I am still on the learning curve of this techno marvel and with only 2800 km on the odo, just starting to explore the aggressive side. Such a different beast than the now departed '99 996 with MT.

This exploring of the 991S 's Mr Hyde side has suddenly turned all the other drivers on the road into grandma's!
Old 09-13-2012, 02:48 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sapman
Didn't you just buy this car? How many miles are on it now?
I started exploring the tach around 900 miles. Been driving manuals and breaking in cars and motorcycles since the 70's, no worries mate.

Quick Reply: PDK - Sport Plus/Chrono in manual mode - SURPRISE DOWNSHIFT !!!