Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK - Sport Plus/Chrono in manual mode - SURPRISE DOWNSHIFT !!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 05:22 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,437 Likes on 2,247 Posts

Originally Posted by hawc
We need to figure out too do two things:

1) How to remove the kick down feature

2) How to make Sport come on automatically when you shift to PDK manual mode

Kick down is absolutely awful. No justification for it. Especially in full manual.
I wonder if the 991 MT pedal (instead of a GT3 variant which might be a very different part ... or not) could be directly substituted? Of course there would be NO
kickdown, but frankly I hate that feature anyway...

anyone got access to 991 PET catalog?
Old 05-30-2014, 05:50 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hawc
I too hate the kickdown feature. Espescially in manual mode.

I want to know what gear I'm in at all times and I'll chose how low a gear I need to be in for maxium acceleration. I can always flick the paddle a few time to get it right where I want it for a pass.

The kickdown assumes I don't know what gear I really want to be in.

I hate it what it goes from Waaaaah to BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!
my feelings exactly! any kickdown I have ever made the mistake of using always has that momentary surge to the redline ... its horrible and in my mind unusable in any situation other than in a dead straight line, and never ever on the track ...

if the 991 MT gas pedal could be plug-and-play substituted for in the PDK car I for one would do this and eradicate that feature forever, if I want a downshift I can always use the paddles ...
Old 05-30-2014, 06:37 PM
mschuster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The kick-down switch also kicks up. In Manual Sport mode, 1st gear, press the pedal hard to the floor but don't shift. On my test drive I found the car will auto up shift at redline through the gears. I expected manual meant manual not auto.. A light foot helps, but maybe replacing the kick-down spring with a stiffer substitute would help more?
Old 05-30-2014, 06:41 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mschuster
The kick-down switch also kicks up. In Manual Sport mode, 1st gear, press the pedal hard to the floor but don't shift. On my test drive I found the car will auto up shift at redline through the gears. I expected manual meant manual not auto.. A light foot helps, but maybe replacing the kick-down spring with a stiffer substitute would help more?
I wonder if that is a feature of the 'kick-up' switch or simply the PDK upshifting as it hits the redline?
Old 05-30-2014, 06:51 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I wonder if that is a feature of the 'kick-up' switch or simply the PDK upshifting as it hits the redline?
I have not experienced this "feature" in Sport Plus manual mode. I bounce off the rev limiter all day w/out upshift -- in Sport Plus auto mode, up shift at redline (rev limit) is built in and happens.

I have not tested same in Sport manual mode so that could be the difference.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:57 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

would anyone miss the kickdown switch if it simply disappeared I wonder?

I'm betting that it would be possible to switch out a MT accelerator pedal for the PDK version and eliminate the damn thing completely ... wiring harness is probably the same, the result of 'pressing' the kickdown would be a different signal to the ECU/DME ... no switch, no signal ...

Someone should order the part (I would if I had a car) and try it, if it doesn't work return the part!
Old 05-30-2014, 07:05 PM
mschuster

I read the switch is not a true switch, just a resistance device to provide feedback. Pedal position sensed electronically triggers the shifting behavior.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:26 PM
mschuster

Manual Sport also down shifts if you quickly tap the pedal, as long as the shift does not cause an over rev. My taps were light and quick, I don't think I hit the kick-down when this happened.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:22 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I read the switch is not a true switch, just a resistance device to provide feedback. Pedal position sensed electronically triggers the shifting behavior.
ah crap...
Old 10-26-2014, 12:54 PM
Marc
Track Day

Smile

Originally Posted by Marc
I think I am going to try the route of adding something to keep the pedal from touching the switch.

Has anyone tried to remove the pedal assembly? Any suggestions on how to remove this assy will be greatly appreciated.
Noah,

I did go the route of adding a tie wrap below the kick down sw. It works as planned and I have one less worry while at the track.

If I press really hard on the accelerator I can make it kick down, but this is a conscious effort, otherwise just pressing the accelerator with “normal” pressure it will not engage the sw.

Thank you for the advice
Old 03-04-2015, 10:28 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

So I'd read about this a bit on 6speed but hadn't experienced in person on my car or the 991S I test drove extensively. Was doing some spirited driving today on the highway (light traffic) in Sport/Manual shift modes and was very surprised when a heavy stomp on the accelerator kicked it down to 2nd gear... as you can imagine on the highway going 65-70mph I was immediately up past 6k rpms and actually a bit stunned, took me a couple seconds to realize what had happened and shifted a few times to get back to a reasonable rev range.

I tested it again and with some practice I think I could avoid the kickdown but I must say I do not like it at all... its not remotely a deal breaker though, the rest of my drive was brilliant and the PDK performed like a champ. Plus the sound!

That said it is something I'd like to resolve/remove...

Originally Posted by Marc
I did go the route of adding a tie wrap below the kick down sw. It works as planned and I have one less worry while at the track.
Not sure if Marc is still active but I'd be interested in understanding what exactly he did to prevent/block the kickdown switch from being activated. If I understand correctly it may actually be more about pedal travel than the switch itself but either way, if there is a simple fix that doesn't involve removing the pedal assembly I'm all ears!
Old 03-05-2015, 01:50 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarManDSL
My mid May 991S is nearly broken in and am starting to be more and more aggressive.

While in Sport Plus manual shift mode (Sport Chrono/Sport PASM/PDCC) the PDK does not allow you to take full control of a "manual" nature.

While rounding a sharp right hand turn in second gear at higher revs, once around the turn and with the engine still at about 5K RPM, I floored it.
SURPRISE DOWNSHIFT into 1st, and since I floored it it hits the rev limiter instantly before I can react to upshift. WTF!!

My point is that "manual" even in the most aggressive settings, still will not let you take manual shifting control.

Is there a means to over ride this?
Are others finding this rather lame for Porsche to program auto downshift control even in the most aggressive settings?

I can see preventing a downshift if it would cause over reving.
I personally think this is a BUG in the PDK system, I cant think of a situation while cornering that I would want a downshift (especially when I am in manual mode)

I'd love to know if swapping out the PDK accelerator pedal for the 7MT variant would get rid of the kickdown function completely... (this would only
work if the kickdown is a mechanical switch on the pedal assy ...)
Old 03-05-2015, 01:51 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

can you post a reference??
Old 03-05-2015, 02:17 PM
mschuster

Larry,

I don't remember the source, I think it was someone who removed the pedal assembly, posted photos, and showed that the switch is simply a resistance device with no electrical connection. As I mentioned, throttle position sensed electronically appears to an input to the shift computer system.

On my test drive, I found the kick-down switch will both down-shift AND up-shift depending on the situation, in Manual mode with Sport button engaged. I tried Sport Plus briefly, but decided it was a gimmick. With the car at the limit in the wet those abrupt shifts will cause a loss of rear traction and a spin. Do not try this in the wet at Road Atlanta accelerating downhill out of turn 12. But Sport Plus is fine for fun with the car below the limit, I suppose.

On my test drive I was impressed by PDK, and now after a year I am really glad I did not buy it. But what is with Porsche and this tall manual gearing?

Mike
Old 03-05-2015, 02:38 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
can you post a reference??
What I see in PET,....."I250" is PDK car, "I487" is manual,.....so the all-in-one pedal is different between the two, but whether a switch or resistance device you would have to examine one up close and maybe even partially dismantle to tell the truth. There are no outside switches,....the pedal is a self contained entity.

Quick Reply: PDK - Sport Plus/Chrono in manual mode - SURPRISE DOWNSHIFT !!!