Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK - Sport Plus/Chrono in manual mode - SURPRISE DOWNSHIFT !!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 02:15 PM
hawc
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too hate the kickdown feature. Espescially in manual mode.

I want to know what gear I'm in at all times and I'll chose how low a gear I need to be in for maxium acceleration. I can always flick the paddle a few time to get it right where I want it for a pass.

The kickdown assumes I don't know what gear I really want to be in.

I hate it what it goes from Waaaaah to BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!
Old 05-28-2014, 02:19 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by hawc
I too hate the kickdown feature. Espescially in manual mode. I want to know what gear I'm in at all times and I'll chose how low a gear I need to be in for maxium acceleration. I can always flick the paddle a few time to get it right where I want it for a pass. The kickdown assumes I don't know what gear I really want to be in. I hate it what it goes from Waaaaah to BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!
There's an app for that!
Old 05-28-2014, 02:19 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Thought you guys might be interested so, FYI, here is what the 991 GT3 pedal looks like. There is no kick down button that protrudes as with the regular PDK pedal in the pic above. There is small round molding in about the same place as the switch but there is nothing mounted there; it's just a hole. Other elements of the pedal seem to be different as well.

That said, while PDK-S will not kick down in manual mode, it does do it in auto mode so the gearbox must use some means other than a button to sense when it's appropriate; maybe throttle position and/or other parameters.

Mike!

So nice to see you come by the lowly 991 base and s forum. J/K

Thanks for the pic.

Most importantly, do you have a date with your new motor?

I'm hoping everyone will be made whole by Dec. so I can trade in the S for a nice low mileage GT3 with an extended powertrain warr.

Hope all is well!
Old 05-28-2014, 02:45 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

I figure since the OP hasn't chimed in over a year and a half on the thread it would be ok to say that even though some hate the idea of it there, it needs to be.

If you become familiar enough with the pedal travel you can select Manual and simply stay out of the kickdown. Even though the PDK is technically NOT an automatic, it needs to operate that way for most consumers.

I think every 911 driver should spend some seat time in a type 930 Turbo on a nice closed track with plenty of run off. Throttle modulation with one of those is a must.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:54 PM
paradoxical3
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread concerns me as this feature would drive me nuts on the track.

Just a thought - those of us from the BMW world have dealt with a similar issue. There is a certain point in the gas pedal travel where an audible and tactile "click" happens - this is the kickdown switch. Someone took a caliper and measured the exact distance that the click happened, and simply made a shim out of plastic. Other fancier solutions also exist, such as a CNC machined piece of metal that you simply adhere behind the pedal. This limits the travel so the kickdown does not get triggered.

Does the PDK kickdown operate under a similar principle?
Old 05-28-2014, 05:41 PM
wanderfalke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Nicoli35;9837951]On the 7MT, 5K in 2nd gear is 50 mph and right when I start hitting the sweet power spot up to 8000 or 8500 or so when I shift into 3rd..anyway.

Isn't that a bit high on the revs for the upshift ? I thought redline was about 7600rpms.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:29 PM
Marc
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
See my earlier post on modifying my throttle return spring. All of this info will apply equally to the 991 as long as the relevant assembly part numbers are the same.

Again, it should go without saying that this is an unusually dangerous part of the car to mess around with. You need to understand that if you alter or modify the pedal assembly, anything that ever goes wrong with the throttle will be considered your fault, whether it is in fact your fault or not. Fair warning!
Noah,

Thank you for the instructions. And not to worry, your fair warning has been dully noted.

Now I am just waiting for a day where I have the patience to become a contortionist and be able to reach the pedal assy.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:04 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcusG
Mike!

So nice to see you come by the lowly 991 base and s forum. J/K

Thanks for the pic.

Most importantly, do you have a date with your new motor?

I'm hoping everyone will be made whole by Dec. so I can trade in the S for a nice low mileage GT3 with an extended powertrain warr.

Hope all is well!
Hi Marcus! Just thought I'd stop by and see how the folks with cars they can actually drive are doing. I saw the thread about surprise downshifts and kick down and it was something we had been discussing over on the 991 GT3 thread too. Thought the pic might be of interest to those who were posting about replacing their 991 throttle pedals with the GT3 version.

Anyway, my engine replacement is due for the week of June 9, and the car should be back in my hands 3-4 weeks after that. Can't wait. Cheers and the best to you!
Old 05-28-2014, 08:08 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wanderfalke
Originally Posted by Nicoli35
On the 7MT, 5K in 2nd gear is 50 mph and right when I start hitting the sweet power spot up to 8000 or 8500 or so when I shift into 3rd..anyway.
Isn't that a bit high on the revs for the upshift ? I thought redline was about 7600rpms.
that was a typing error on my part, should have been 7's..old post, well over a year ago. I didn't realize this was that thread. hehe. ahwell. I probably don't push it much past 7200 or 7300 anymore, it's nice to have a little breathing room. I've never hit the rev limiter though, can't say for sure where it really is other than documentation or other folks's reports.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:04 PM
wanderfalke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone experienced this situation? I am first at light making a right hand turn in full manual mode, take off, shift to second at speed, floor it and it downshifts to first and hits the rev. limiter and backs the engine off to idle and just kind floats at low rpms. when you are ready to handle a surge of power.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:57 AM
Porsche 25th
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

IMHO the PDK-S is better on the track than on the street. It is absolutely telepathic. Apparently, Walter Rohrl prefers it to shift for him as well!
Old 05-29-2014, 02:06 PM
John's 991
Pro

My personal experience is that the kickdown "feature" is a bit annoying, but I have not had it have any major impact on any turn. Obviously, it only works when you are WOT and even mid-corner it has not upset the balance of the car materially. I have never had to "save it" from down shifting and subsequent upshift, which would not be the case with a manual transmission. In the corners where I run into the kickdown, I manually downshift so it is less inclined to shift as I transition to WOT.

One of the things that I like about the PDK is that it is now easy to left-foot brake, now that I trained that foot and have appropriate sensitivity, which makes the throttle to brake and brake to throttle transitions smooth and easy.

If I could turn it off, I would, but overall I still think the PDK is great in traffic (normal or Sport mode) and at the track (Sport Plus). It shifts so quickly and so smoothly every time.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:57 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I normally have my PDK in manual mode and was thinking about this thread this morning while cruising along the freeway in 5th .... plant .... Blam .... 2nd!
Old 05-30-2014, 12:13 AM
hawc
Racer

We need to figure out too do two things:

1) How to remove the kick down feature

2) How to make Sport come on automatically when you shift to PDK manual mode

Kick down is absolutely awful. No justification for it. Especially in full manual.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:17 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Hi Marcus! Just thought I'd stop by and see how the folks with cars they can actually drive are doing. I saw the thread about surprise downshifts and kick down and it was something we had been discussing over on the 991 GT3 thread too. Thought the pic might be of interest to those who were posting about replacing their 991 throttle pedals with the GT3 version.

Anyway, my engine replacement is due for the week of June 9, and the car should be back in my hands 3-4 weeks after that. Can't wait. Cheers and the best to you!

Two weeks!

I'll keep my fingers crossed. I want to start seeing you guys out on the open road.

Quick Reply: PDK - Sport Plus/Chrono in manual mode - SURPRISE DOWNSHIFT !!!