Sponsored by:

About to finalize C2 Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 11:31 PM
GeneD
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to finalize C2 Build

I had a 2008 C2 coupe loaded with leather extras, traded in on a BMW 335d a bit over a year ago. The 335d is an awesome commuter car, if somewhat boring.

It's time for a more exciting ride. I really can't justify (and shouldn't spend) the extra 10k for the S.

Here is what I was thinking:

911 Carrera
Premium Package
BOSE® Audio Package
Dark Blue Metallic
Agate Grey leather interior
Electric sunroof
Sport Chrono Package
Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
Wheel center caps with colored Porsche Crest
SportDesign steering wheel

Thoughts? Anyone have pics/seen this color combo?

I have read posts talking about a difference in ride quality between the S with PASM/20" rims and the base with standard suspension and 19" rims. Is there really an appreciable difference in ride quality? I don't want a floaty boat suspension but my 997 C2 was a bit harsh on DC area roads. I would consider adding PASM if it did anything for ride quality--sadly turning into the grocery store parking lot doesn't justify the performance gain.

Yes, I know I can strip down an S and get something close in price. I don't want a stripped down car.

Thanks,

Gene
Old 09-11-2012, 12:56 AM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Thats a great color combo. I have almost the same options and couldnt be happier.
I suggest to get 20's w/o PASM, worth the look and the ride is just fine, much, much better than a similar 997 with 18's, never harsh but stiff enough for a sports car. Honestly I couldnt tell the difference with a PASM equipped car, I was a PASM fan for the 10mm lower ride height, but lastly I came to the conclusion that the car height is already very low without it.
Dont forget the smoking package for free, you will appreciate the aditional 12V outlet at hand, the led light and the lid, the center console looks unfinished without it imo.
I got the twin tip sport tail pipes (not PSE), maybe a pricey option for what it does, but looks better from the back. I dont like the oval tips in the Carrera.
The std stereo is good enough, go test one and youll be surprised, the intake sound symposer is great but also a little intrusive, not the best enviroment for a premium stereo. I had the Base system in my first 991 and Bose in the current one, If I could do it again, I would take the base system and save a few $$, and this comes from a guy that appreciates a good sound system and always listens to music while driving.
I also like the parking sensors, saved my front bumper from hitting those tall concrete parking stops many times.

Last edited by Galion; 09-11-2012 at 02:25 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:05 AM
jasonintoronto
Burning Brakes

First 991? You've had two already?
Old 09-11-2012, 04:14 AM
Galion
Pro

Originally Posted by jasonintoronto
First 991? You've had two already?
Yeah..., I was cheap on the first one, I believed that a bare bones manual base was the best deal, didnt work for me. i ended up trading it for a well optioned PDK base in my favorite metallic color, couldnt be happier now.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:36 AM
jasonintoronto
Burning Brakes

Can you pm me your two builds...I thought about a bare bones manual base as well. (currently have 997.1 c4)
Old 09-11-2012, 05:00 AM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just add pse. You won't regret it.

Otherwise a sensible build. Yes, the 991 frankfurt launch car had this color combo. Dark blue looks almost black in many lighting situations. You should be able to find pics/videos online.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:04 AM
Rainier_991
Instructor

Yes indeed,
almost exactly like your build about two weeks ago at the local Porsche shop.
Same color and interior.
The gray goes well with the blue but you might need to be aware of reflection issues on the dash on the windsceen. It is not that great but you can live with it.

The blue looks stunning on the showroom floor. But before you commit - please have a look at this in normal daylight. It is really very dark once the shiny lights are gone - you may or may not like that.

Rainier
Old 09-11-2012, 09:04 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I like your build except I wonder about the sport chrono. If you're trying to save money, why bother with it? You may want to add heated seats, especially if this will be your DD. (Maybe the premium pkg includes it)

I usually prefer the smaller wheels for the better ride, but sometimes the improvement in looks is overwhelming. It's going to be difficult, but if you can, drive two cars configured with the different size wheels and see if you can really tell a difference.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:22 AM
HotLap
Racer

Gene, in my mind it becomes a question of how long you will keep this car? I say that because if you will be driving it awhile, you will soon forget the extra $10K spent on options but will be reminded every time you drive the car what you didn't get and wished you would have ordered. However, if you are going to trade it in 18 - 24 mos then it won't matter as much. Good luck on whatever you decide - can't go wrong either way!

PS I would agree with MJBird above that perhaps you replace the Sport Chrono with other options you might want - worth considering anyway?
Old 09-11-2012, 02:45 PM
Galion
Pro

IMO Sport chrono is not necessary unless you intend to use the paddles, the upshifts and downshifts are fantastic in Sport Plus mode.
I wasnt sure about this option, now I would never order PDK equipped car without it, Sport Chrono unleashes the full capabilities of the PDK transmission.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:46 PM
TSpyder
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rainier_991

The blue looks stunning on the showroom floor. But before you commit - please have a look at this in normal daylight. It is really very dark once the shiny lights are gone - you may or may not like that.
I especially like the DBM in bright sunlight...

Originally Posted by Rainier_991
Yes indeed,

The gray goes well with the blue but you might need to be aware of reflection issues on the dash on the windsceen. It is not that great but you can live with it.
The reflections did bother me with lighter colored dash tops, so I went with the two-tone blk/agate....

Spyder
Old 09-14-2012, 08:40 AM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would not go with agate grey interior on that exterior color. It is more brown than grey so keep that in mind.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:42 AM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TSpyder
I especially like the DBM in bright sunlight...

The reflections did bother me with lighter colored dash tops, so I went with the two-tone blk/agate....

Spyder

That is not black/agate, that is black/ pebble grey and looks much better than agate would have. Nicely done!
Old 09-14-2012, 09:04 AM
spourreza
Pro

Originally Posted by Galion
Thats a great color combo. I have almost the same options and couldnt be happier.
I suggest to get 20's w/o PASM, worth the look and the ride is just fine, much, much better than a similar 997 with 18's, never harsh but stiff enough for a sports car. Honestly I couldnt tell the difference with a PASM equipped car, I was a PASM fan for the 10mm lower ride height, but lastly I came to the conclusion that the car height is already very low without it.
Dont forget the smoking package for free, you will appreciate the aditional 12V outlet at hand, the led light and the lid, the center console looks unfinished without it imo.
I got the twin tip sport tail pipes (not PSE), maybe a pricey option for what it does, but looks better from the back. I dont like the oval tips in the Carrera.
The std stereo is good enough, go test one and youll be surprised, the intake sound symposer is great but also a little intrusive, not the best enviroment for a premium stereo. I had the Base system in my first 991 and Bose in the current one, If I could do it again, I would take the base system and save a few $$, and this comes from a guy that appreciates a good sound system and always listens to music while driving.
I also like the parking sensors, saved my front bumper from hitting those tall concrete parking stops many times.
+1
Old 09-14-2012, 02:34 PM
TSpyder
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Abby Normal
That is not black/agate, that is black/ pebble grey...!
It is neither blk/pepple, nor blk/agate (can't believe I wrote that). Rather, it's blk/platinum, the only choice on the configurator in two-tone leather with a blk dash top when I placed my order. The only other choice in two-tone was/is agate/pepple which I passed on b/c the pepple was so light that I didn't feel it would hold up well over the many yrs I usually keep cars I like.

Spyder

Quick Reply: About to finalize C2 Build