Sponsored by:

Rear tire replacement...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 02:19 PM
HotLap
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear tire replacement...

Just a heads up, those tires aren't cheap! I had a nail in the drivers' rear tire, 295/30 20"s (P Zero's) and the bill at my LPD was $657!! I purchased the 5 year wheel/tire/windshild/paint warranty (which I rarely ever do) and it was covered. Two more flats or a windshield and it will have paid for itself!
Old 09-04-2012, 05:36 PM
GoTexas
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I bought it too because it's not a question of whether or not my wife will damage the but when

So did they cover it entirely or just prorated?
Old 09-04-2012, 07:19 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i got screws in both rears and just plugged em..

i used to be in the wheel/tire business and know for wide tires plugs are not ideal as it can cause separation between the cords... but for such a small screw i've never had bad results even over tons of miles.

that being said, i did search the tire prices on the vehicle and because of the larger overall diameter on the 991 to retard the wheel base difference the tires are a rare size and expensive as all hell!
Old 09-04-2012, 07:37 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Riley....I don't understand your explanation. Could you take a moment to elaborate?
Old 09-04-2012, 07:40 PM
skinzy
Instructor

Question; where can I buy " 5 year wheel/tire/windshild/paint warranty"? What should I expect to pay. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:00 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

I paid $1,800 for mine, when I bought the 991. I'm sure I overpaid, cuz I always do, but I have the option of resorting to ice picks to get the upper hand.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:41 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$550 at tire Rack. Still expensive, but $100 is a $100
Old 09-05-2012, 01:26 AM
ArthurK
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At $657 a piece I would be thankful! A 997 19" rear would set us back $1300 a piece, I hate to think what a PZero 20" will fetch locally. I am planning on ordering a set of new wheels and rubber from the US and it will still be cheaper than buying tires locally.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:12 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
i got screws in both rears and just plugged em..

i used to be in the wheel/tire business and know for wide tires plugs are not ideal as it can cause separation between the cords... but for such a small screw i've never had bad results even over tons of miles.

that being said, i did search the tire prices on the vehicle and because of the larger overall diameter on the 991 to retard the wheel base difference the tires are a rare size and expensive as all hell!
Originally Posted by solomonschris
Riley....I don't understand your explanation. Could you take a moment to elaborate?

my 991 got screws in both rear tires (about 2 weeks apart)... i chose to use my plug kit to repair them (as long as they are in the belt of the tire you can plug them).. although a patch is always a better idea.

the plug is used by first enlarging the hole and therefore "breaking" more of the metal wires in the tire... this is detrimental to the tire and therefore "unsafe" to some.. the broken wires travel around the tire.. so if you break it in a place the rupture can travel around the tire and this is why people have tires that split in half..

a simple plug=no real concern
a big item that tears many of these bands=might need to swap tire.

personally i plug tires, or if/when i can a patch from the inside is 100x better choice because you dont expand the hole to patch it.

those who replace tires instead of plugging are the same who listen to the dealer about when to come in on an oil change (prematurely).

if the tire blows out, then i'll replace it and eat the cost.. until then it's perfectly fine.. i have patched/plugged everything from motorcycle tires to compounds on the lotus without any problems, then again i DO NOT track my vehicle.. as this would be extreme use/abuse and probably cause a failure moreso than my daily driving.

that being said, when you buy tires from say, tirerack.com can you not add a protection plan for a very affordable price at that time? i think this would be a much better route as you dont pay it until you need said tire...

i also very frequently disagree with manufacturers choices in tires... they are often chosen on who will give them tires for what price and not based on what is best for the vehicle... this is easily seen in some of the weird choices lately for stock tires... hell even my cayenne tires i was like "what the hell"..

just my opinion of course... my biggest pet peeve is paying into dealer add on's... warranty plans and so forth.. if these plans were not profitable then they would not sell them.. the companies that underwrite these plans are not doing it for our well being... they are doing it because it's profitable more than not.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:36 AM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Thanks Riley, but I didn't make myself very clear. What I wanted you to elaborate on was the last paragraph of your post...."because of the larger overall diameter on the 991 to retard the wheelbase difference".......And I agree with you about plugging tires, but I've only ever plugged a motorcycle tire just to get home, after that it was always new tire time.

You have given some great advice here, so I have some for you. Before you take delivery of the Atom, donate big time to, and become involved in your local Police Benevolent Association. This will be the best way to get to know these fellas, and probably the cheapest. If I had one of those around these parts I would feel like a squirrel in a yard full of dogs. Good luck, I look forward to your posts concerning same.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:25 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Reily is right on re plugs and patches. Radial Tire in Silver Spring knows its business and takes the same approach (although they are happy to sell you a tire or two or four if you insist).

I also don't understand the comment about 20 in wheels "retarding" the effect of the longer wheelbase. Every professional race team is chomping at the bit to get the longer wheelbase 991 cars for next season because of the substantial stability and weight distribution advantages they have over the 997 shells.

I flogged a Carrera with standard with 19s and a Carera S with its 20s at the PCNA event. I found the handling in both improved over 997s due largely to the wheelbase, and SPASM (lowering/stiffer springs) and Pirelli's rather than Goodyears having predictable effects. If I was a frequent participant in track events I would for lightweight 19 in wheels and better (and less expensive ) tires to get the most out of the car.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:55 AM
HotLap
Racer

Originally Posted by GoTexas
I bought it too because it's not a question of whether or not my wife will damage the but when

So did they cover it entirely or just prorated?
They covered everything, only had 3K miles on it so that's probably why. I hear you about the other half...my g-friend loves driving the auto (another reason I should have held out for the stick since she doesn't drive MT's) and one curb rash and flat will pay for the warranty cost - then some!
Old 09-05-2012, 12:05 PM
HotLap
Racer

Originally Posted by skinzy
Question; where can I buy " 5 year wheel/tire/windshild/paint warranty"? What should I expect to pay. Thanks in advance.
skinzy, I bought mine through my local PD at time of orig purchase. It's through Safe-Guard Products International, 3500 Piedmont Road NE, Ste. 400, Atlanta, GA 30305 / 800742.7896. I opted for the "Premier Ultimate Vehicle Protection" package for 5 years. It is negotiable and I paid $2,200.00. You may cancel at any time and they will give you a pro-rated refund and (IIRC) it is transferable to a subsequent buyer of your car (should help your resale value). Covers wheels/tires/paint chips/windshield.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:07 PM
HotLap
Racer

Originally Posted by SSST
$550 at tire Rack. Still expensive, but $100 is a $100
SST my price includes mountning, balancing, tire disposal fee, etc. The actual tire was $577 thorugh my LPD, so the 657.00 was OTD price for the complete repair.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:09 PM
HotLap
Racer

Originally Posted by ArthurK
At $657 a piece I would be thankful! A 997 19" rear would set us back $1300 a piece, I hate to think what a PZero 20" will fetch locally. I am planning on ordering a set of new wheels and rubber from the US and it will still be cheaper than buying tires locally.
WOW, you cats down under must make a ton of cash to be able to afford those kinds of prices...I stand humbled

Quick Reply: Rear tire replacement...