Sponsored by:

Rear tire replacement...

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 11:15 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
My mistake. I thought the 991 S had 305 on rear.
it does with 20" Sport Techno wheels
Old 09-09-2012, 03:46 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by sfo
it does with 20" Sport Techno wheels
And 4/4S has 305 rears as standard....
Old 09-09-2012, 02:18 PM
stubenhocker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SSST
$550 at tire Rack. Still expensive, but $100 is a $100
You must add on the cost of shipping and mounting!

Tire America Discount Tire is a better deal, less hassle, imho.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:47 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by stubenhocker
You must add on the cost of shipping and mounting!

Tire America Discount Tire is a better deal, less hassle, imho.
Many of the better enthusiast oriented local shops will meet of beat their prices if you let them. Less hassle and better service.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:37 PM
HotLap
Racer

Originally Posted by parkerfe
When needed, I will replace the over-priced PZeros with less expensive and better Michelin SuperSports.
The P Zeros recently placed dead last in Car and Driver's tire comparison of 10 Extreme/max Performance Catagory tires. Pros: Supple ride and quiet operation / Cons: poor wet skidpad and braking performance and understeer orineted....with the Michelin Pilot Super Sport taking the #1 spot!
Old 09-10-2012, 06:02 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Overall the Super Sports have been a big favorite on the new cars. I have not ridden on the Pirellis yet, but I have had several owners lately call me to get off their low-miles Pirellis in order to get some ride quality back. I would stay on 19's, but that's just me.....
Old 09-10-2012, 06:50 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

I have had no problems with the 20 in Pirellis that cam on my Carrera S over 6500 miles of normal (eg hi fun) street use. They are comfortable, quiet, fine in the rain and quite good in the twisties and under braking. I have not tracked the car (yet) so can't comment on that application.

That said-- I had Michelin Super Sports (non N) on my Boxter S - they were outstanding and an upgrade compared to the OEM PS2s. When the time comes I for sure will have them on the 991.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:53 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Chuck, the improvement over my 997.2 in terms of every dynamic including comfort and noise is just astounding. It may well be that the SS tires have a higher limit, but I drive on public roads and the limits of these tires are waay beyond how I would ever drive. I really like them, but might change my mind with their cost at replacement time.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:14 PM
Zmoney3982
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I just bought replacement P Zeros for my 991S. Will have them put on P dealership. They were asking $1000 a tire, got them on tirer rack for $560 each.
I have driven the 991S on the track, outfitted with PZeros and it just does not move. No understeer or braking issues at all.
I will say that the handling in wet conditions does leave something to be desired, but they are performance tires not all seasons, so I adjust my driving accordingly.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:02 AM
HotLap
Racer

Originally Posted by solomonschris
I agree with Chuck, the improvement over my 997.2 in terms of every dynamic including comfort and noise is just astounding. It may well be that the SS tires have a higher limit, but I drive on public roads and the limits of these tires are waay beyond how I would ever drive. I really like them, but might change my mind with their cost at replacement time.
Well said Solomon, while the C & D staff push these tires to their limit, most of us won't get anywhere near the limits reached during C & D's testing so most won't really notice. Do think that at replacement time I will go with the SS's though, cost is close on both tires and I had a set of 20" Pirelli Scorpions on a new F-150 that I didn't care for very much.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:50 PM
GoTexas
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default New tire!

We too purchase the warranty, and received a new tire for a flat caused by a nail. Now, we just need to find a way to get a nail into the other tire, and we'll have a complete set. hahaha just kidding.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:42 PM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 70 Posts

I had tire/windshield protection warranty when I bought my bimmer with run flats..every time the tire had a puncture, it got replaced...given that tire price $500 per, I got the warranty cost recovered the first couple of years (yes, I had that many flats..the oem rfts were junk)
Old 11-07-2012, 08:52 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by HotLap
Just a heads up, those tires aren't cheap! I had a nail in the drivers' rear tire, 295/30 20"s (P Zero's) and the bill at my LPD was $657!! I purchased the 5 year wheel/tire/windshild/paint warranty (which I rarely ever do) and it was covered. Two more flats or a windshield and it will have paid for itself!
Well, yes, but I always buy the road-hazard protection from the tire supplier, so there's that risk covered. My insurance company already covers everything else included on those policies except possibly the wheels themselves. I'd have to inquire. Certainly any usual source of damage, like a collision or a 'comprehensive' event, is covered. I've never damaged a wheel on the road so that may not be covered. I'd have to check to see what that special coverage costs. Heaven knows these wheels are expensive enough to be a "listed item" on my homeowners policy. Cindy had listed jewelry that cost less than one of these Carrera Classic 20's from Porsche.

In general, the company carrying your overall risk will provide a better deal on supplemental coverages, so I always decline the dealer package. They aren't a rip-off as far as I can see. Coverage and premiums (the flat cost that is) seem reasonable. It's just silly to create overlapping coverages, so I don't.

Those tires surprised me honestly. I expected them to be far more expensive than the 19's, but they aren't. I just bought tires for my 997 about ten thousand miles ago, and these aren't more than ten percent higher, if that. There is a terrible difference between the P Zero OEM tires and the Michelin Pilot Super Sports however. It looks like $2100 for a set of Pirellis, installed, with road hazard protection added. More like $1500 for MPSS. Same was true of the 19's. The OEM Michelin PS2 tires were roughly fifty percent higher than the new MPSS. And the MPSS is a wonderful tire both on public roads and the track events.

I know what I'm going to install as soon as the OEM Pirellis wear out.

Gary
Old 11-07-2012, 09:04 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Good luck. I don't think the Super Sports are available in the 20" size.
They are.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:07 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by solomonschris
[...] I am either too damn old, or too dumb to understand. I have read and reread a bunch of times to no avail. [...] I can't grasp any change in wheelbase dynamics. I should mention that I failed algebra 1 several times.
That's okay, I don't understand what he said either. And I didn't fail math.

Gary

Quick Reply: Rear tire replacement...