skinzy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank Hotlap......I will check it out.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:32 PM
ArthurK
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HotLap I would give up the ton of cash to pay what you guys pay for cars. For the life of me I cannot get over our pricing and never will. That said and done like sheep we still walk into dealerships and buy their cars. I guess a small market etc but I dont know how they can justify the base car being twice the price of that in the US. By the time you add government taxes its 3 times the price. So that said and done $1300 for a tire is cheap

As I said in my earlier post I can get a set of HREs P40s and tires for less than what a set of tires will cost me here. Thank god for the internet
Old 09-05-2012, 09:39 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by solomonschris
Thanks Riley, but I didn't make myself very clear. What I wanted you to elaborate on was the last paragraph of your post...."because of the larger overall diameter on the 991 to retard the wheelbase difference".......And I agree with you about plugging tires, but I've only ever plugged a motorcycle tire just to get home, after that it was always new tire time.

You have given some great advice here, so I have some for you. Before you take delivery of the Atom, donate big time to, and become involved in your local Police Benevolent Association. This will be the best way to get to know these fellas, and probably the cheapest. If I had one of those around these parts I would feel like a squirrel in a yard full of dogs. Good luck, I look forward to your posts concerning same.
sorry, they increased the wheelbase on the vehicle as we all know (4").. they then increased the overall diameter of the tires an extra 1", if they kept the OD the same the longer wheelbase would be very noticeable but the increase in diameter actually takes the effect of the wheel base away (think about the 997 as a smaller car, you increase the car in photoshop 4" and the wheels get larger too.. if you increase the tire size at the same time it makes the handling not as radically different, also lowers the center of gravity on the vehicle.... the wheelbase is then null and the only difference felt is the engine being further forward and the weight layout different than before which is a pro and not a con.

the tires are 1" different which is why the 997 OD is cheaper (more widely available/sold) the 991 OD is unique to the 991 and only a few tires made so far.

as far as the atom, the DA here locally is a close friend.... and one county over all the police know me and even will shut down roads if desired..... i've yet to be convicted of anything.. should be the same w/ atom... fellow atom owners say they get pulled 1-2x a week on average but never any tickets.. if i do end up in the back of a squad car, then i'll pull the DA card.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:56 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Riley, thanks so much for taking the time to explain. I am either too damn old, or too dumb to understand. I have read and reread a bunch of times to no avail. The wheelbase is a measurement from the centerline of the front axle to the centerline of the rear axle, right? Regardless of what tire is mounted on those front and rear wheels, their centerlines will correspond to the centerline of their respective axles. I understand that their contact patch will differ as their overall diameter reduces, but I can't grasp any change in wheelbase dynamics. I should mention that I failed algebra 1 several times.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:07 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by solomonschris
Riley, thanks so much for taking the time to explain. I am either too damn old, or too dumb to understand. I have read and reread a bunch of times to no avail. The wheelbase is a measurement from the centerline of the front axle to the centerline of the rear axle, right? Regardless of what tire is mounted on those front and rear wheels, their centerlines will correspond to the centerline of their respective axles. I understand that their contact patch will differ as their overall diameter reduces, but I can't grasp any change in wheelbase dynamics. I should mention that I failed algebra 1 several times.
Porsche has explained that the longer wheelbase and wider front track are what counts when it comes to the stability and handling advantages of the 991 compared to the 997. Same thing happened when wheelbase and track were increased in past 911s, on the new Ferraris and on the latest LeMans prototypes. Outside wheel diameter would change the effective gear ratio of the drive train (mitigated by transmission, differential and tire profile diameters).
Old 09-06-2012, 07:46 PM
SiNi
Instructor

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Reily is right on re plugs and patches. Radial Tire in Silver Spring knows its business and takes the same approach (although they are happy to sell you a tire or two or four if you insist).

I also don't understand the comment about 20 in wheels "retarding" the effect of the longer wheelbase. Every professional race team is chomping at the bit to get the longer wheelbase 991 cars for next season because of the substantial stability and weight distribution advantages they have over the 997 shells.

I flogged a Carrera with standard with 19s and a Carera S with its 20s at the PCNA event. I found the handling in both improved over 997s due largely to the wheelbase, and SPASM (lowering/stiffer springs) and Pirelli's rather than Goodyears having predictable effects. If I was a frequent participant in track events I would for lightweight 19 in wheels and better (and less expensive ) tires to get the most out of the car.
I intend to track my 991S and would prefer to get a set of 19" wheels and tyres for these days. My car will have PDCC. Does that restrict me to 20" wheels or will 19s be ok?
Old 09-06-2012, 09:11 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

When needed, I will replace the over-priced PZeros with less expensive and better Michelin SuperSports.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:37 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by SiNi
I intend to track my 991S and would prefer to get a set of 19" wheels and tyres for these days. My car will have PDCC. Does that restrict me to 20" wheels or will 19s be ok?
I cannot imagine why it should. They sell Carerras with 19s and PDCC I think.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:39 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by parkerfe
When needed, I will replace the over-priced PZeros with less expensive and better Michelin SuperSports.
For sure- had them on my boxter S huge improvement over oem ps2s
Old 09-07-2012, 06:50 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
I cannot imagine why it should. They sell Carerras with 19s and PDCC I think.
you cannot get PDCC on C2; PDCC on C2S only, which has standard 20" wheels
Old 09-07-2012, 09:03 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by sfo
you cannot get PDCC on C2; PDCC on C2S only, which has standard 20" wheels
Didn't know that.

I guess if someone requires the flexibility and cost advantage of various wheel and tire choices for tracking, then PDCC could be a disadvantage. On the other hand, Porsche reports that PDCC is responsible for a good bit of the 991 performance improvement over earlier cars, in effect doing real time dynamic chassis optimization.

PS- I am not convinced about "buzz kill" or "dulled response" arguments. As with engine noise, steering and shifting responsiveness, all the 911 goodness is still there with the new technology- just at higher limits in every performance dimension.

Decisons... tradeoffs. Nice to have such "problems"!
Old 09-07-2012, 06:31 PM
SiNi
Instructor

Techequipment shows 19" wheels are available for C2S. There is no mention that PDCC cars are not compatible. Suggests probably ok!
Old 09-07-2012, 07:19 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Good luck. I don't think the Super Sports are available in the 20" size.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:05 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Michelin Super Sport tires ai 295/30ZR20: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....m=93YR0PSSXLV2
Old 09-08-2012, 11:04 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Michelin Super Sport tires ai 295/30ZR20: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....m=93YR0PSSXLV2
My mistake. I thought the 991 S had 305 on rear.

Quick Reply: Rear tire replacement...