solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Must the old part....Chris
Old 11-08-2012, 09:18 AM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yet another typo. I meant, must be the old part.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:03 AM
GoTexas
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
Well, yes, but I always buy the road-hazard protection from the tire supplier, so there's that risk covered. My insurance company already covers everything else included on those policies except possibly the wheels themselves. I'd have to inquire.
Gary
Road-hazard would only replace your tire if you get a nail, or a gash on the side wall, which makes the tire unrepairable. If you get a nail in the tread section, they will patch it. I was told that patching a tire on a daily driver car is fine, but one that you take to the track, or up to a very high speed is unsafe. Can someone confirm this?

Insurance will cover windshield replacement...no doubt. But, they will NOT replace it with OEM. Also, even these types of claims would increase your premium if done enough times. With the warranty you buy from the dealer, you wouldn't even have to make a claim to your own insurance.

Having said that, I would never buy this on any other car, but, to me, the 911 is a very high end car, so I decided to get it. So, thank goodness, this is probably the only time in my life time that I will have to get it. to those who can buy the 911 as a DD, and keep their jewels in the garage.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:36 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know some insurance will replace windshield with OEM. I had a small crack in the windshield on my 996 TT Cab and got OEM windshield (I saw the dealer invoice to the windshield shop) and actually paid lower than normal deductible. No increase in future premiums as a result and in fact on my insurance comprehensive claims never give rise to increased costs in subsequent years. One time I've been thankful for state (Provincial in my case) insurance.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:06 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by GoTexas
Road-hazard would only replace your tire if you get a nail, or a gash on the side wall, which makes the tire unrepairable. If you get a nail in the tread section, they will patch it. I was told that patching a tire on a daily driver car is fine, but one that you take to the track, or up to a very high speed is unsafe. Can someone confirm this?[...]
I can't confirm the last part, Texas. It's too indefinite. Yes, a damaged tire will fail faster at high speeds and high side-loading than it will trundling around town on a smooth road. But rough roads add stress at any speed, and most of us Porsche drivers don't trundle around, however mild town-driving may seem after we get accustomed to Porsches. I am constantly reminded by new acquaintances how quickly "you Porsh guys" drive.

The bottom line is a patched tire is a damaged tire. It will always fail sooner than an undamaged tire. It is true that unless you acquire track skills, a tire failure is a lot more likely to damage your car and your family at high speed than at low speed. With those skills, the difference isn't great I suppose. My late wife had some third-party tires I rashly installed for the commuting role. A front tire exploded off the rim at a routine 70-75 mph speed, but all it did was compel her to slow down carefully and she had the skills and reflexes to do that.

I got her money back for all four of course and we never bought 'economical' brands again. But it illustrates the answer to your question. A damaged Pirelli or Michelin is no better than the 'economical' brand that exploded under my wife's "daily driving". She wasn't on a track and never took that car to a track. If you want to bet you're as good as Cindy was in a crisis, then using that sort of tire is probably not a fatal decision.

Back to your first question, those road hazard warranties do replace tires without requiring sidewall damage. You're buying (or reading) the wrong warranties. The one I got from America Discount Tires [name?] for my latest MPSS tires on the 997 also replaced the undamaged tire on the same axle on the other side if the differential wear was in the range that affects handling. More than 25% difference I think it is. I believe the one that Tire Rack offers does the same, but we'd have to get a confirmation of that memory.

Gary

Quick Reply: Rear tire replacement...