Sponsored by:

ProClip iphone 5 holder w/power finally out

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 08:42 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default ProClip iphone 5 holder w/power finally out

new ProClip iPhone 5 lightning attachment holder, just released monday. Arrived today and attached easily to previous ProClip mount.

can now have it plugged into power or into usb slot in glove box while driving. Whew..these 5's sure use the battery with all their gizmo gizmo woo-woo.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:12 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicoli35
new ProClip iPhone 5 lightning attachment holder, just released monday. Arrived today and attached easily to previous ProClip mount.

can now have it plugged into power or into usb slot in glove box while driving. Whew..these 5's sure use the battery with all their gizmo gizmo woo-woo.
I don't even want to think about what you guys do with a gadget mounted in that position. Thinking about it would distract me from my driving.

Gary
Old 11-07-2012, 11:16 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

I do all my work through the iPhone these days, it seems like..battery power is not a luxury for me - it is a necessity and I need it topped off when I leave the car. Additionally several gps-type mobile applications are perfectly suited for the mounting position in a daily driver.

This is simply the very best - highest quality, iPhone swivel mount (and now engineered for the lightning cord) available. They even have an option including a USB to car-lighter adapter (that's what I ordered) but plugged into the USB slot in the glove box is working fine so far and recharging the phone (some will not in past experience). So, doubly I'd like to thank Porsche for giving us actual usable power in the glovebox USB.

Benchmark Motoring in Seattle made the custom fabricated metal sleeve that we mounted the ProClip swivel mount onto a while back. I will ask them to hardwire the power cord if possible (maybe not with the USB) or put it out of sight, tuck it away or something.

We have the option of going into either the USB or the lighter-socket power in the 991's glovebox, what an awesome setup from Porsche.

ProClip video

Last edited by Nicoli35; 11-07-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:33 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

[...] the USB slot in the glove box is working fine so far and recharging the phone (some will not in past experience). So, doubly I'd like to thank Porsche for giving us actual usable power in the glovebox USB. [...] We have the option of going into either the USB or the lighter-socket power in the 991's glovebox, what an awesome setup from Porsche.
It was a very annoying but intentional choice to cut power to the auxiliary sockets (like USB) when the key was removed from a 997. In fact, I had the impression, but never checked it, that routine USB power was not delivered even when the system power was on. The concern was that if we left a device plugged in that didn't go into power-down mode when idle, say a device that maintains network connectivity even when the screen is suppressed (as does a Kindle), then the sustained current draw could run down the battery.

It seems that enough of us complained, and loudly enough, that they changed that with the 991. I don't know whether they did this, but if I was the design lead and accepted the scenario about Kindles and such running down the battery, I would add a battery monitor function that would shut down the auxiliaries if the system battery dropped below X%. We may find that to be the case.

I do know it was a decision they bothered to mention to Marketing. It was not done offhand. They considered it noteworthy enough that Marketing put it into the new model brochure. That's the only way I know, since my 991 hasn't arrived yet and I don't have an owners manual. But I am by nature patient... Where is my car?

Ahem. Excuse me. Momentary lapse.

Gary
Old 11-07-2012, 11:42 PM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
It was a very annoying but intentional choice to cut power to the auxiliary sockets (like USB) when the key was removed from a 997. In fact, I had the impression, but never checked it, that routine USB power was not delivered even when the system power was on. The concern was that if we left a device plugged in that didn't go into power-down mode when idle, say a device that maintains network connectivity even when the screen is suppressed (as does a Kindle), then the sustained current draw could run down the battery.

It seems that enough of us complained, and loudly enough, that they changed that with the 991. I don't know whether they did this, but if I was the design lead and accepted the scenario about Kindles and such running down the battery, I would add a battery monitor function that would shut down the auxiliaries if the system battery dropped below X%. We may find that to be the case.

I do know it was a decision they bothered to mention to Marketing. It was not done offhand. They considered it noteworthy enough that Marketing put it into the new model brochure. That's the only way I know, since my 991 hasn't arrived yet and I don't have an owners manual. But I am by nature patient... Where is my car?

Ahem. Excuse me. Momentary lapse.

Gary
Old 11-07-2012, 11:47 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

I hear you on the 997. I actually swapped audio head units in a 2009 C4S, added a rear camera, some other things. I am very, very thankful for the improvements to the 991 systems. They did apparently listen. There is power to the lighter socket even with the car locked (and no keys inside), not sure about the USB. Was thinking of timing the little test light I attached to the power socket to see if it eventually powers down in a parked or shutdown state (locked and no keys nearby).

I have been following your very patient and understandable query regarding your Porsche soon to arrive..looking forward with much anticipation to your additional impressions after being introduced.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:56 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

I have been following your very patient and understandable query regarding your Porsche soon to arrive..looking forward with much anticipation to your additional impressions after being introduced.
I ordered natural leather and a brown top, just like yours. I assumed it would have a car attached...

Perhaps I'll go have a cup of herbal tea.

Gary
Old 11-08-2012, 01:15 AM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

I ordered natural leather and a brown top, just like yours. I assumed it would have a car attached...

Perhaps I'll go have a cup of herbal tea.

Gary
I never before owned a Porsche with the natural leather, or a new Porsche for that matter. The smoothness, smell, touch and feel - even through jeans or other clothing, sets the experience apart. I swear my butt can tell, hehe. I found the car in a trusted dealer's inventory, not a custom order..it was just meant to be. Once I thought it a superfluous add. Can't imagine the car without it now. It is special.

I'd say all the standard "you'll love it" stuff, but you already know that. I'm just really excited for you. How's the tea-maker in that camper? So very soon, now..
Old 11-08-2012, 02:27 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

[...] Once I thought it a superfluous add. Can't imagine the car without it now. It is special.

I'd say all the standard "you'll love it" stuff, but you already know that. I'm just really excited for you. How's the tea-maker in that camper? So very soon, now..
Wow. That raises a question worthy of a new thread. Carmakers have been pushing leather tanning in the direction of great durability for so long, the products to care for leather surely are aimed that direction as well. Must ask if anyone knows the proper care of 'natural' leather, which is the good old-fashioned "fine leather" we used to see regularly.

And the top! How do we clean a convertible top these days? Special shampoos? What does the owners manual say?

Gary
Old 11-08-2012, 09:16 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Wow. That raises a question worthy of a new thread. Carmakers have been pushing leather tanning in the direction of great durability for so long, the products to care for leather surely are aimed that direction as well. Must ask if anyone knows the proper care of 'natural' leather, which is the good old-fashioned "fine leather" we used to see regularly.

And the top! How do we clean a convertible top these days? Special shampoos? What does the owners manual say?

Gary
I am not at all expert but have read that the latest leathers used by Porsche are tanned with a totally different process than earlier cars, so that they should have nothing rubbed in to keep them "supple" - just mild cleaning will do. Re tops- avoid overdoing it with anything detergent and you should be fine. Also no idea what sort of fabric covers the hard panels on 991 cabrio tops.

Re waiting: Are you certain that you actually ordered the car and it was not a dream induced by too many hours on the configurator and in forums?
Old 11-08-2012, 02:16 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

I haven't gone page-by-page through the manual yet and feel a little ashamed. It's hard not to drive the car when sitting in it .

If you find any special cabrio procedures, please let us know. And speaking of the top on these cabriolet 991's - the materials, operation, the way the 3-piece hard shell under the fabric fits together..it's all amazing and wonderful. Giant step up from 997 Porsche cabs.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:21 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
[...]Re waiting: Are you certain that you actually ordered the car and it was not a dream induced by too many hours on the configurator and in forums?
Friedrich? Is that you, Nietzsche you old dog?

G
Old 11-08-2012, 04:35 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
I am not at all expert but have read that the latest leathers used by Porsche are tanned with a totally different process than earlier cars, so that they should have nothing rubbed in to keep them "supple" - just mild cleaning will do. Re tops- avoid overdoing it with anything detergent and you should be fine. Also no idea what sort of fabric covers the hard panels on 991 cabrio tops.
Embracing "the myth of reality" once more, my impression is the same, Chuck. Certainly the leathers in my 997 were closer to expensive synthetic vinyls than good quality luggage leathers. In the old days -- when I couldn't afford either one -- expensive luggage and expensive cars used essentially the same type of leather, differing primarily in the cut.

What I can't decide is whether the "natural leather" option refers to a return to leathers produced by traditional tanning methods, the sort used by Rolls Royce and their ilk, or is created with a modern tanning method to produce the same feel with greater durability.

The detailer sites I visited are not given to technical analysis, but the anecdotal evidence supports what Tony Dias and others have said in a thread I opened in the 997 forum: the 'natural' leather is aniline-dyed and responds very well to Sonus Leather Conditioner applied after a gentle shampoo or a mere wipe-down.

Apparently, the big mistake is using products that reinforce the waterproof layer of those modern leathers. Doing that removes the soft matte feel of 'natural' leather.

I guess I'll go with the anecdotal evidence, though it pains my hyperanalytical Enlightenment spirit to be so pragmatic. But it cannot be denied: owners of natural leather cars use Sonus with great satisfaction. Guess I will too.

Gary
Old 11-08-2012, 04:41 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

I haven't gone page-by-page through the manual yet and feel a little ashamed. It's hard not to drive the car when sitting in it .

If you find any special cabrio procedures, please let us know. And speaking of the top on these cabriolet 991's - the materials, operation, the way the 3-piece hard shell under the fabric fits together..it's all amazing and wonderful. Giant step up from 997 Porsche cabs.
I found references to Porsche guidance to use a gentle shampoo, reinforced with house-brand cleaning products and an aerosol spray with UV protection to be applied once or twice a year. Very likely the Porsche-branded products can be matched with third-party products but it's too much like work doing that research. I'll buy a set of the Porsche items and mandate their use by my detailer.

But not for the leather conditioner. Absent special bragging from Stuttgart, I assume the name-branded conditioner is one suited to the "full leather" option as well as the base leather, and those definitely are different. So for care of the natural leather, I'll go with the Sonus conditioner that has met with such applause in the field.

Gary
Old 11-08-2012, 06:59 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Embracing "the myth of reality" once more, my impression is the same, Chuck. Certainly the leathers in my 997 were closer to expensive synthetic vinyls than good quality luggage leathers. In the old days -- when I couldn't afford either one -- expensive luggage and expensive cars used essentially the same type of leather, differing primarily in the cut.

Gary
I like the full leather- The black with bright touches in a Platinum Silver car just suits the 991 "efficient" style. But it is not is for sure not like being coddled in certain British or Italian cars where you feel like you are sitting in a fine leather store

Quick Reply: ProClip iphone 5 holder w/power finally out