Sponsored by:

Bucket Seats

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 11:40 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon70
If PCNA won't offer them, why not just bypass PCNA and have the dealer call direct to Germany? I don't see why they couldn't be added at whatever cost, I think it was $3000 on the 987/997.
Jon, the problem is not PCNA, it's the US dealers! They are the ones that don't want it. And PAG will not allow anyone to bypass their US importer and access their dealer network elsewhere to bring a product to the US not offered by PCNA. But since the gt2 seats were offered in the US in previous models and are DOT approved, any dealer can order a replacement gt2 seat from the factory and sell it here. Suncoast does exactly this and is quite successful at it! But you end up with two sets of seats, not just one, on your new 991 or 981 and it will cost you dearly!

The 'sport bucket seats' will be coming soon enough here as standard on the next 991 gt3, gt3 RS, gt2, gt2 RS and 981 Cayman R (and Spyder, if we ever see that model again). I think MY2009 was the only year PCNA allowed the regular 997 model to have these buckets as an option. I can think of only one model - the Launch Edition 'Meteor Grey' C4S - that had 'sport buckets' as part of an introductory package! But the dealers quickly learned to hate them, claimed they were killing sales and said they lost money by having to discount these Launch C4S heavily to move them out! I think that experience pretty much convinced PCNA not to offer these buckets again on the regular 911/ Boxster/ Cayman models!

The 'sport buckets', the folding type with side air bags, were introduced in our market in MY2008 on the gt2. Thus, we know them here as the 'gt2 seats'. The .1 gt3's and gt3 RS's never got them in this market. Or anywhere else for that matter, since PAG uses the non-folding, lighter sport buckets in most ROW markets! On the US version of the .2 997 gt3, gt3 RS, gt2 RS, gt3 RS 4.0, and the 987 Spyder & Cayman R, these gt2 type 'sport buckets' were standard equipment! The leather sport seats (with or without Alcantara inlays) were a no cost option on these cars. I can not remember these 'sport bucket seats' ever priced separately in MY2010, MY2011 or MY2012 here in the United States on any other model. And for the life of me, I can't even remember a price for them in the .2 997 MY2009 when they were briefly offered by PCNA!

My contention is that PCNA, listening to its dealer base in this particular market, will not offer these 'sport bucket seats' as a regular option on the regular 991's and 981's. Even if you custom order your car with these bucket seats, they expect to see it again in a few years time as a lease return or trade-in. So they are anticipating the difficulty in selling them down the road. Unless the Porsche enthusiast base makes their case and press their demand loudly to PCNA, I don't think we will see them here anytime soon on regular models. So far I do not see any evidence that the US Porsche enthusiasts are pressing their case...but I could be wrong!

PAG is working right now on the next generation of 'sport bucket seats'. They will be able to be adjusted in a multitude of ways, something lacking in the current version. This new seat will be introduced in the 918 Spyder and a version of it will 'trickle' down to the 991/981 before the end of this model run, hopefully on the .2 991 and the .2 981!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 09-05-2012, 01:47 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
I think MY2009 was the only year PCNA allowed the regular 997 model to have these buckets as an option. I can think of only one model - the Launch Edition 'Meteor Grey' C4S - that had 'sport buckets' as part of an introductory package!
The sport buckets were available on the configurator for later years on the 997 and 987. Granted, I haven't seen any cars other than the launch C4S, GT variants, Spyder or Cayman R with them, but I think you could have ordered them.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:03 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

pretty sure they can be ordered on the new models.. my buddy at the dealer told me if i wanted them they would not be a problem to add anymore.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:24 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
pretty sure they can be ordered on the new models.. my buddy at the dealer told me if i wanted them they would not be a problem to add anymore.
I heard the same.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:24 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If PCNA won't offer them, why not just bypass PCNA and have the dealer call direct to Germany? I don't see why they couldn't be added at whatever cost, I think it was $3000 on the 987/997.
They were $3K as a factory option. Any Porsche dealer can order them as parts, except they are $6500+ a pair. A lot cheaper if you can get them as a factory option.

I've heard the reason why they are not currently offered as a factory option is a liability issue. Seems Porsche lawyers don't want to take a chance with the 991s, where it was more acceptable with the 997.2s and 987.2s. Since the sport buckets have a rigid had seatback, they are a severe crash hazard if a rear seat passenger were to hit their head into one. Although strangely there is a warning sticker for such an issue on the back of the sport buckets in .2 GT3, yet it doesn't have a back seat.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:01 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3

I've heard the reason why they are not currently offered as a factory option is a liability issue. Seems Porsche lawyers don't want to take a chance with the 991s, where it was more acceptable with the 997.2s and 987.2s. Since the sport buckets have a rigid had seatback, they are a severe crash hazard if a rear seat passenger were to hit their head into one.
That doesn't make any sense to me. The Sport Buckets are no more of a liability issue than the Sport Seats Plus or Adaptive Sport Seats which also have rigid seat backs and which are already offered on the 991 as an option.

Not all options are available the minute a new Porsche model is introduced. That's all that is going on here. IMO, the Sport Buckets will be available by the time the GT3 model comes out; probably sooner.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:43 AM
ArthurK
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sport Buckets is an option available on the Australian configurator ($3100 from memory - probably will be much less in the US - they cost us the sames as adding 18 way Adaptive Sports Seats). No issues in ordering them out here. Must be red tape with US PCNA?
Old 09-07-2012, 03:57 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

The sport buckets were available on the configurator for later years on the 997 and 987. Granted, I haven't seen any cars other than the launch C4S, GT variants, Spyder or Cayman R with them, but I think you could have ordered them.
Can you refer me to a MY2010, MY2011 or MY2012 997 (non-gt3, gt2 or GTS) in the US that was actually allowed to be ordered with those seats? There may be some...I just have never seen them! For sure I think no 987 (other than the Spyder & Cayman R) ever was able to get them here in the US!

Originally Posted by rijowysock
Be nice if we could get actual confirmation of this for US market! Can anyone else on this forum confirm if US dealers are able to order 'Sport Bucket Seats' on a MY2013 991 as of this date? If it's not a problem to order 'anymore', we should get someone at PCNA to let us know for certain, no?

I heard the same.
Can you check with your source and give us more definite information? Thanks.

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
I've heard the reason why they are not currently offered as a factory option is a liability issue. Seems Porsche lawyers don't want to take a chance with the 991s, where it was more acceptable with the 997.2s and 987.2s. Since the sport buckets have a rigid had seatback, they are a severe crash hazard if a rear seat passenger were to hit their head into one.
Agree with Mike in Ca (who actually does have 'sport buckets' on his MY2009 997) that this could not possibly be the reason 'sport bucket seats' are not being allowed to be ordered on the 991. Sport Seat Plus of 991 and Leather Sport Seats of the 997 could caused similar 'damage' with their hard backs, then and now! Unless DOT categorizes 'carbon fiber' so differently than the plastic normally used on the other Plus seats as to create a different kind of 'hazard' and thus a extra liability for Porsche here in the US! Sounds odd and not plausible...but then we are talking about a US government agency!

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
That doesn't make any sense to me. The Sport Buckets are no more of a liability issue than the Sport Seats Plus or Adaptive Sport Seats which also have rigid seat backs and which are already offered on the 991 as an option.

Not all options are available the minute a new Porsche model is introduced. That's all that is going on here. IMO, the Sport Buckets will be available by the time the GT3 model comes out; probably sooner.
Mike: Yes, not all options need to be available on a new model right away. Granted. But many of us find odd that other markets are allowed to order the 'Sport Buckets' on the 991 & 981 (for many months now) and PCNA still does not allow it here. So it's not PAG but PCNA that is causing the 'delay', and is only affecting our market. We need to know the exact reason why - whether is the dealers objecting or because of liability concerns! This whole question might disappear if the reports from Riley & Jon that they ARE now available to order on US 991's & 981's can be confirmed! But I remain dubious.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 09-07-2012, 02:59 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

Can you refer me to a MY2010, MY2011 or MY2012 997 (non-gt3, gt2 or GTS) in the US that was actually allowed to be ordered with those seats? There may be some...I just have never seen them! For sure I think no 987 (other than the Spyder & Cayman R) ever was able to get them here in the US!
The sport buckets have been available as either standard equipment or optional on all 987 and 997 models since 2009 (and still are for those models not yet replaced by the 981/991).
Old 09-07-2012, 03:21 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 81 Posts

Mike: Yes, not all options need to be available on a new model right away. Granted. But many of us find odd that other markets are allowed to order the 'Sport Buckets' on the 991 & 981 (for many months now) and PCNA still does not allow it here. So it's not PAG but PCNA that is causing the 'delay', and is only affecting our market. We need to know the exact reason why - whether is the dealers objecting or because of liability concerns! This whole question might disappear if the reports from Riley & Jon that they ARE now available to order on US 991's & 981's can be confirmed! But I remain dubious.

Saludos,
Eduardo
I don't disagree Eduardo. I was just saying that not having all options available at introduction has been fairly normal in the past, whatever the reason. Like you, I'm curious as to what's causing the delay here in the U.S. on the sport buckets, but am fairly confident it will be resolved eventually. The unfortunate thing is if someone is ordering a 991 now and can't get the seats they want (which will available anyway in 6 months), just because PCNA (or someone) is playing politics or has dropped the ball.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:16 PM
Neil Mccauley
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would seem, with porsche 991 developments, patience is a virtue.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:12 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
The sport buckets have been available as either standard equipment or optional on all 987 and 997 models since 2009 (and still are for those models not yet replaced by the 981/991).
Make believe that I am from Missouri and show me the actual cars in US market that have been ordered with these 'sport bucket seats' in MY2010, MY2011 and MY2012 that are not gt3's, gt3 RS's, gt2 RS's, GTS's, Spyder's and Cayman R's! I know in theory they were available from Porsche, but did PCNA let them be ordered in this market on 'regular' 997's & 987's other than MY2009 997's? If so, I want to see them - photos and multiple examples of their existence via actual Monroney stickers- so that we can put this subject to rest!

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I don't disagree Eduardo. I was just saying that not having all options available at introduction has been fairly normal in the past, whatever the reason. Like you, I'm curious as to what's causing the delay here in the U.S. on the sport buckets, but am fairly confident it will be resolved eventually. The unfortunate thing is if someone is ordering a 991 now and can't get the seats they want (which will available anyway in 6 months), just because PCNA (or someone) is playing politics or has dropped the ball.

Yes, Mike, that is true! The early adopters are not compensated for their support & loyalty - they missed out on the Powerkit S, glass sunroof option, additional leather interior options, auto-blip on downshifts in Manual, Adaptive Cruise control, et al.! The one thing they did get is the accelerated depreciation of their MY2012's vs later MY2013's! Not a particular good deal for these for these early buyers of the 991 if you ask me.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 09-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

Make believe that I am from Missouri and show me the actual cars in US market that have been ordered with these 'sport bucket seats' in MY2010, MY2011 and MY2012 that are not gt3's, gt3 RS's, gt2 RS's, GTS's, Spyder's and Cayman R's! I know in theory they were available from Porsche, but did PCNA let them be ordered in this market on 'regular' 997's & 987's other than MY2009 997's? If so, I want to see them - photos and multiple examples of their existence via actual Monroney stickers- so that we can put this subject to rest!
Do they not have the internet in Missouri? Google 'Porsche P03' with the model year of your choice - I'm sure you will solve your own riddle.

Or go to the configurator and build yourself anything on the old platform with Sport Buckets, from a base Cayman to a Turbo S Cabriolet. As I said, it has been the case since 2009.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:09 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Do they not have the internet in Missouri?
Alan, no we don't. But we have plenty of jacks like you, but we call them mules!

Saludos,
Eduardo

Quick Reply: Bucket Seats