Sponsored by:

C4S Cabrio Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 11:06 AM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
You might want to think about deviating the carpet to Espresso brown,....option #24951, $710. This would really make the interior pop IMO.
Thats a great suggestion! How'd you find out about this option? Its not on the configurator, is it? I assume its the entire vehicle carpenting or is it just the mats?
Old 09-06-2012, 01:47 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

i had the power steering plus (servo steering) on both cayenne and made sure to order the 991 without it and besides the sport plus seats it was the best choice i made.

drove my buddies the day we picked em up (his had steering) and i was just in heaven w/ my choice... there is absolutely NO need for easier steering on the car (all the weight is in the back! we dont even need power steering!)

also the feeling is not just when parking, it's up to 30/35mph... which makes low speed corners feel like you're navigating a ship versus driving a sports car.

i would 110% without a doubt never order servo steering again (unless it was a cayenne as that's a whole diff story)

also i would opt out of sport chrono on the manual.. have had sport chrono on a previous 997 manual (no blip down shift obv) but even then it was superfluous (before sport mode was standard).. now we have sport... you dont really need sport plus for manual trans.

the deviated carpets are very nice.. my local dealer does that... it would be the carpets and the floor mats... keep in mind the carpet in the rear as well! (under rear seats and behind the rear seats) which looks great thru the back window! the beige carpet gets dirty so quick anyways (luxor beige in cayenne and was never clean!)

Originally Posted by GBX
Thats a great suggestion! How'd you find out about this option? Its not on the configurator, is it? I assume its the entire vehicle carpenting or is it just the mats?
the one gentleman on here has the info about "exclusive" options.. you should really talk to dealer or have them put you in touch with the ex model who runs that part of stuff here in the states.... she will tell you options you never knew were possible and many are VERY affordable.. anything you can imagine can be done... the dealer has pages and pages of option choices that are not on the config... if i find the thread i'll link it for you... it was very helpful to me in my build.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/6994...-interior.html (melissa witek)

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7085...e-and-you.html
Old 09-06-2012, 02:18 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
We dont even need power steering!)

also the feeling is not just when parking, it's up to 30/35mph... which makes low speed corners feel like you're navigating a ship versus driving a sports car.
I agree the 991 (probably the heaviest on the front wheels of any 911 to date) could be fine with manual steering. That's not to ignore the advantages of power steering for track driving:
* there's a limit to feel and control through a manual rack
* fatigue is a real issue in performance and a manual rack wears you down
* power steering allows for faster steering ratios, allowing the driver to keep hands on the wheel instead of shuffle or hand-over-hand movements to maintain strength and control on the wheel

Still, for the fun and lively excitement of driving a manual rack, I'd deal with the work of low speed moving -- you learn to let the car roll a little to release the tires when making lock-to-lock maneuvers.

Somewhat ironically, I have this vague idea that the heavier 4S steering will benefit from the intervening year of debugging and in-the-field R&D -- the optimist in me expects Porsche will have made incremental enhancements (hard and soft) as well as the entirely new situation of steering driven wheels under more load, to come up with something that reconnects the steering wheel to the steered wheels and faithfully transmits traction and load feel to the driver. Of course, conventionally, the 4S will be less revealing to the steerer, but here's hoping.

All that said, Porsche still needs to go back to literally a blank drawing board, clean sheet design of the electric power steering (which I want, I just want it to work.) They need to figure out how and why it has lost its feel.

Having just heard the torturously worded comments from Tiff Needel on his track driving the 991 (the steering is better on a billiard table smooth European track than on cobblestone asphalt roads here in the USA) I have little doubt his "off the record" would be less accommodating.

I think the first step is to jettison the electric motor assist and go to electric hydraulic pump and conventional hydraulic assist, perhaps with an accumulator like the manual clutch, so the pump can be off and not causing parasitic fuel burn, but still be 100% at the ready.

I suspect this electric motor assist junk is motivated by legalities and OEM prejudices rather than "best steering" objectives. Some legal beagle said "if we sell electric hydraulic and the hydraulic pressure assist needs a split second longer to restore than the electric motor assist, we'll get sued when someone drives off the road because the steering was heavy for a hundredth of a second."

Then Porsche (and each of the car makers from trucks to SUVs to minivans) looks at the parts and service cost-vs-profit of an electric pump to hydraulic assist, plus the complexity and reliability issues of something like an accumulator to allow for the advantages of "dormant" assist. They ask OEMs for bids.

The OEMs like the profit of selling the same dog food to as many dog food brands as possible, so they skew their bids to make the electric-hydraulic more expensive and the electric-only the more cost-effective, plus it ties into their long term plans to put even more of their products into future generations with nonsense like steering overrides to prevent the driver from losing control or to "rumble" to wake them up or to alert them to a back-up collision risk or to various take the driver out of the equation and automatically induce counter-steer or mitigate understeer in cooperation with driveline stability intervention and ABS, etc.

This reminds me of Mercedes talking about future models with the GPS reporting to the cruise control when it sees a steep hill to climb, or slow traffic reported ahead or a sharp bend with advisory speed limit posted below the current cruise setting. My current Benz already takes the helm and slows the car if it feels like it (for a sweeper that it thinks I'm sweeping to briskly.) I guess I don't mind that intervention, but it's the nose of the camel.

Then the bean counters say "make the electric motor assist" and the sales-engineering team develop something that's good enough to pass muster with the journo's and good enough to not cause too many lost sales to especially finicky customers coming out of a 997 and asking "why is the steering now connected to the front wheels by email?"

Soon enough, the "driver" will be renamed the "passenger with directional request privileges."
Old 09-06-2012, 02:24 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
also i would opt out of sport chrono on the manual.. have had sport chrono on a previous 997 manual (no blip down shift obv) but even then it was superfluous (before sport mode was standard).. now we have sport... you dont really need sport plus for manual trans.
sport chrono now includes dynamic engine mounts which are worth having IMHO
Old 09-06-2012, 06:21 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by GBX
Entire carpet area (back/front) and will include mats of the same color. A dark brown carpet behind tan leather is really nice.

There are tons of options Porsche can do outside of the configurator, I believe the dealer knows them as "Z" options and they carry a 5 digit number code.

Your dealer should have access to a full list of them, although sometimes they might think it a bother to show you. Press on them a bit if necessary.

Quick Reply: C4S Cabrio Build