Sponsored by:

C4S Cabrio Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 10:25 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 125 Posts
Default C4S Cabrio Build

Helping my dad put together a build for a C4S Carbio. What are we missing or What do we have that we dont need? Let me know. My biggest question is whether Power Steering Plus is worth it and also the Sport Chrono. The rev-match on down shift feature sounds great...otherwise, not sure how worth it is it. Any opinions would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!

-BOSE® Audio Package
-Premium Package
-Cabriolet Roof in Brown
-Mahogany Metallic
-Luxor Beige standard interior
-ParkAssist (front and rear)
-Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC)
-7-speed Manual Transmission
-Sport Chrono Package
-Power Steering Plus
-20-inch Carrera Classic wheel
-Wheel center caps with colored Porsche Crest
-Power Sport Seats (14-way)
-SportDesign steering wheel
Old 09-03-2012, 10:32 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Power steering plus seem like a waste- the steering is fine as it comes. Heated and cooed seats are a very nice addition.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:44 AM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess I must be in the minority, because the effort required to steer at parking lot speeds irritated me in my 2009 C4S. I recently test-drove a 2012 C2S with power steering plus (a 7 MT) and found it nice to be able to swivel around without too much effort driving slowly. I have it in my C4S build, but I didn't add the PDCC as I figured I wasn't going to need it..however have read a lot of positive things about burmester and included that. My build is currently at 145+K without any leather add-ons..sheesh. The C2S I test-drove had espresso natural leather (and it was sweet) but I'd rather spend that cash on hardware items like the adaptive cruise and PDK. As much as I love the 7MT, that clutch is a bit stiff for me to press down all day long.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:24 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You'd want to drive the C4S steering to decide on the plus, otherwise, I'd say get it, because the normal steering is atrocious.
Make sure the car has driver memory -- it's really annoying to not have memory for each driver.
Probably wouldn't pay for PDCC unless you've really got it in mind to drive the car seriously quickly (way above safe or responsible limits on public roads.)
Only other advice is to wait and drive it before ordering, the be sure to negotiate for a significant discount. I'd be targeting $15-20K off.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:14 AM
c4-toy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you going close to all out, full leather for around $3600 is a must for a car that's well over $100k (think Aston, Ferrari, Maserati standard full leather). I went with it and love the custom look it gives w the stitching. Its a good value relative to other options. I dropped the BOSE and used the savings on the full leather, the base stereo is pretty darn good, Im impressed w it.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:14 AM
GBX
Rennlist Member

so do you all feel that PDCC is more for a track car and overkill for a daily driven street car?

Also, how about the sport chrono? Is it worth it or more for the "cool" factor?
Old 09-04-2012, 10:49 AM
wanderingwheelz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a cabriolet especially, heated and cooled seats are an absolute must have in my opinion. It stretches the top-down usefulness substantially.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:06 AM
Rainier_991
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agonized over PDCC for ages.
Eventually, after having had the opportunty to test similar spec "S" in PASM+PDCC and SPASM I chose SPASM without PDCC for my build.
This "felt" the best for my understanding of what a sports car should be like. My "S" is not going to be a DD but more of a "toy" that I want to track occasionaly for non-competitive fun and use over weekends etc. However, I do not think that there is the slightest issue in using the SPASM as daily driver - it certainly glides over rough roads better than my MX5 (Miata) lowered on Bilsteins, without being too GT like.
The PDCC may be of advantage if you plan on spending much time at the limits of grip and race competitively - if not, spend the money on something else you can actualy see or use.

Rainier

Originally Posted by GBX
so do you all feel that PDCC is more for a track car and overkill for a daily driven street car?

Old 09-04-2012, 12:18 PM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

What about PSE? I don't see it on your list.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:38 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by docfink
What about PSE? I don't see it on your list.
If it added any performance benefits, i would consider it, but just for some additional sound, i'm not that interested. Thanks though.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:25 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

PSE is nice because it won't upset your neighbors at 7am if you leave it off, but when it's on and roaring.. It's truly bliss in a Porsche. I've installed two quality aftermarket systems- Fabspeed on an '09 C4S and AWE in a '13 Audi S5, and they were very good but nothing compares to what Ive heard first hand with 991 PSE. I realize you aren't interested but just have to say.. Maybe consider it..really.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:10 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicoli35
PSE is nice because it won't upset your neighbors at 7am if you leave it off, but when it's on and roaring.. It's truly bliss in a Porsche. I've installed two quality aftermarket systems- Fabspeed on an '09 C4S and AWE in a '13 Audi S5, and they were very good but nothing compares to what Ive heard first hand with 991 PSE. I realize you aren't interested but just have to say.. Maybe consider it..really.
Is there a good PSE drive-by video around? It sounds good from the cabin, but I wonder how much is tubular bells.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:27 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by GBX

I have SPASM and no PDCC and love the feel (and look).

Sport Chrono "just" changes engine and (with PDK, shlfting) response mappings in sport + (with the sport chrono option). It just depends on how much "snap" you want.

With no options there is plenty (as sport works on all 991CSs), and with the sport + there is plenty more.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:13 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

ok, i think we made a mistake. I think the color we like is Anthracite Brown, not Mahogany. What do you guys think? Looks to me like Mahogany is more redish brown where Anthracite is more greyish brown. Am i correct?
Old 09-05-2012, 06:41 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by GBX

IMO PDCC is way overpriced for very marginal street benefit. Adds complexity and weight.

With the old 911 model (997.2) S/C had almost no benefit for a manual car,...with the 991 you get dynamic engine mounts & rev matching, so yes it is kinda cool now and may be worth the money to you.

You might want to think about deviating the carpet to Espresso brown,....option #24951, $710. This would really make the interior pop IMO.

Quick Reply: C4S Cabrio Build