Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extra Dealer Profit....WHAT!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 05:24 AM
PMAA
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 41 Posts
Thumbs down Extra Dealer Profit....WHAT!!

So in about 6 hours I’m supposed to pick up a 2013 991. I was running through the numbers last night and noticed a charge of $3000 for “Extra Dealer Profit”. Just hours prior to delivery (after months of waiting) and I’m just finding out about this extra charge now. Has anyone else run into a dealer charge like this? Chances are I’ll just pay it because I want the car (and I’m sure the dealer knows that) it is just really annoying that after receiving a “discount” off MSRP months ago the dealer adds an extra charge at the last minute. Typical car dealer….
Old 08-25-2012, 05:48 AM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Normally you have to accept and agree to a pure dealer profit item before they can charge you for it. They can't add on these optional charges without informing you and convincing you to accept them. You have the right to turn any or all of them down.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:11 AM
cmb13
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

that sounds really shady to me. Was that onyour original order and did you agree to it? i'd walk away and find another dealer, but I have to wonder if there could be a small claims suit there. at the very least, it would seem that would be damaging to their local reputation.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:12 AM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

We don't play that at our Porsche center.... only dealer fee for out of state is $115 and 171.50 for in state. No added charges above the price and taxes. It is beyond me that some dealers take that approach.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:36 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 157 Posts

Just say no. These cars are not rare. Throw a big fit and then get up. Even the Ferrari dealer doesn't pull that crap.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:38 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

You must be kidding! In this environment, for a dealer to add a $3K extra dealer profit (and get away with it) is simply absurd.

You must really (REALLY) want this car to be willing to just accept it. Tell them "no way" and walk away if they give you a hard time. And for fun, tell us the name of the Porsche center so we can all stay clear of them.

You can find the car you want elsewhere.

And read your order more carefully!
Old 08-25-2012, 10:37 AM
kbalch
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These guys (dealer & salesman) are crooks, plain and simple. Avoid them like the plague - and name them publicly, so everyone else can avoid them, too! Then file a BBB complaint.

While it's amazing what some dealers think will fly, they must be getting away with it on enough deals that it's worth the complaints. Strictly a numbers game for them. Let's all resolve to make it entirely not worth their while.

Ken
Old 08-25-2012, 10:42 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if you agree to it when you ordered the car by signing the order form, you are contractually bound to complete the deal. And they could sue you for loss of profit if you pull out.

on the other hand, if you never agreed to it, they cannot charge the $3000.

basic contract law.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:17 AM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call them up and ask. If it makes sense-great. If not-walk. As much as I love these cars, the one you ordered is not the last one on the planet. Take your time. Cheers.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:22 AM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Porsche is a volume production car. It used to be that Porsche kept 911 production numbers such that demand remained strong. Now that VW is in greater control, we might see different marketing since their goal is to be the world's largest volume car manufacturer. Since the Supreme court decision in Haft vs. some pharmaceutical co. manufacturers cannot dictate retail selling price. The "S" in MSRP is suggested. One of my employee's just had to a new PT cruiser when they first came out. He paid $8K over retail. A little over a year later the dealers were discounting heavily off of retail to move them. While a $15k depreciation hit in one year was a kick in the gut to him, it's well short of what the buyer of a new, nicely optioned 991S would suffer. I wouldn't pay any premium over retail unless I was convinced the car was going to remain rare and in demand (Ferrari Enzo, McLaren F1 and few others) I am referring to when these cars were new. I was told that in the case of the Enzo you had to have purchased several new Ferrari's to be an approved purchaser. If you resold the car prior to Ferrari selling out it's production run, you wouldn't be sold another limited production F car. Since I've never been in the market for a million dollar car, I don't know if there is
some, or no truth to this...may be urban legend. Whatever you end up paying, you will have a great car, that's the only certainty.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:28 AM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Run from this dealer
If this is the way they treat buyers imagine how you'll be treated by the service dept........
Old 08-25-2012, 12:38 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Walk away. You'll remember getting screwed every time you get in the car.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:02 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 451 Likes on 200 Posts

Read your contract. See If it allows a price adjustment. Take your cOntract to an attorney
Old 08-25-2012, 02:34 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

had that once on a deal, was 5k.. i asked and they said "well.. umm.. " they wouldn't take it off.. i left.

really bizarre moment... would never do business with them again.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:23 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by PMAA
So in about 6 hours I’m supposed to pick up a 2013 991. I was running through the numbers last night and noticed a charge of $3000 for “Extra Dealer Profit”. Just hours prior to delivery (after months of waiting) and I’m just finding out about this extra charge now. Has anyone else run into a dealer charge like this? Chances are I’ll just pay it because I want the car (and I’m sure the dealer knows that) it is just really annoying that after receiving a “discount” off MSRP months ago the dealer adds an extra charge at the last minute. Typical car dealer….
Your post puzzles me. Over the years I have custom ordered a number of cars, and the car was never ordered until we agreed upon the price. At that point I would place a nominal deposit $500 - $1000, and the car was ordered. Did you just order the car without knowing the price or was the $3K specified and you didn't take notice?

Quick Reply: Extra Dealer Profit....WHAT!!