Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extra Dealer Profit....WHAT!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 04:26 PM
PMAA
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks for all the great feedback...I found out the "Extra Dealer Profit" is actually paid to the dealer by Porsche and is termed "holdback" profit which in my case was about 3% MSRP. The dealer admitted I should have not been shown the holdback value. If you google "dealer holdback" there's a lot of information explaining the purpose and how it's used to make you think you're getting a better deal. In the end the dealer was professional spending about an hour going through the numbers until I was satisfied it all added up and I was certain I received the discount (6%) originally negotiated.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:33 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

To the best of my knowledge there is no holdback on Porsches.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:34 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 451 Likes on 200 Posts

Glad to hear it
Old 08-25-2012, 04:34 PM
PMAA
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
Your post puzzles me. Over the years I have custom ordered a number of cars, and the car was never ordered until we agreed upon the price. At that point I would place a nominal deposit $500 - $1000, and the car was ordered. Did you just order the car without knowing the price or was the $3K specified and you didn't take notice?
The price was agreed on when the car was ordered months ago...in reviewing the finial lease paperwork just prior to taking delivery it looked like the dealer tacked on an additional cost of 3K to boost the bottom-line ....
Old 08-25-2012, 05:32 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by solomonschris
The Porsche is a volume production car. It used to be that Porsche kept 911 production numbers such that demand remained strong. Now that VW is in greater control, we might see different marketing since their goal is to be the world's largest volume car manufacturer. Since the Supreme court decision in Haft vs. some pharmaceutical co. manufacturers cannot dictate retail selling price. The "S" in MSRP is suggested. One of my employee's just had to a new PT cruiser when they first came out. He paid $8K over retail. A little over a year later the dealers were discounting heavily off of retail to move them. While a $15k depreciation hit in one year was a kick in the gut to him, it's well short of what the buyer of a new, nicely optioned 991S would suffer. I wouldn't pay any premium over retail unless I was convinced the car was going to remain rare and in demand (Ferrari Enzo, McLaren F1 and few others) I am referring to when these cars were new. I was told that in the case of the Enzo you had to have purchased several new Ferrari's to be an approved purchaser. If you resold the car prior to Ferrari selling out it's production run, you wouldn't be sold another limited production F car. Since I've never been in the market for a million dollar car, I don't know if there is
some, or no truth to this...may be urban legend. Whatever you end up paying, you will have a great car, that's the only certainty.
Ferrari can do this because of more demand than supply. Not the case with Porsche.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:22 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by PMAA
I found out the "Extra Dealer Profit" is actually paid to the dealer by Porsche and is termed "holdback" profit which in my case was about 3% MSRP. The dealer admitted I should have not been shown the holdback value. If you google "dealer holdback" there's a lot of information explaining the purpose and how it's used to make you think you're getting a better deal. In the end the dealer was professional spending about an hour going through the numbers until I was satisfied it all added up and I was certain I received the discount (6%) originally negotiated.
Originally Posted by fast1
To the best of my knowledge there is no holdback on Porsches.
Originally Posted by PMAA
The price was agreed on when the car was ordered months ago...in reviewing the finial lease paperwork just prior to taking delivery it looked like the dealer tacked on an additional cost of 3K to boost the bottom-line ....
I think the term 'Holdback' is incorrectly used in this thread. There is in fact, contrary to popular opinion, some sort of 'holdback' that Porsche will pay the PRINCIPAL (owners) of the dealership based on how many cars and what type of models were actually sold in the fiscal year by his dealership. However, this 'holdback' is not the same formula that Detroit used in years past to compensate their dealers an additional $ amount, beyond what was visible in the actual invoice of the vehicle vs it's selling price. That is why some Fords and Chevrolets could be sold at 'invoice' and still make money for the dealership in the final accounting!

The 'holdback' amount that Porsche dealers get from PCNA is such a closely guarded secret that not even the general manager of a dealership actually knows what it is each year! And certainly it would NEVER be revealed on any documentation involving a sale or lease of a Porsche! The other type of money transfer from PCNA to dealer involve something we often call 'trunk money', which is an incentive to help sell a left-over model as new Model Year autos arrive at dealerships. But given that the OP is buying a MY2013, that is not relevant in this case.

What we might be seeing here is an incentive program by Porsche's leasing arm to have a dealer finance a customer car via their captive finance company. This might be what the OP was shown by 'mistake'. But that is just my guess.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 08-25-2012, 09:48 PM
DBYT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was told by a friend who used to, until recently,have a Porsche dealership that on top of the 10% margin on a 911, they have a raft of other profit mechanisms, including holdback, quota bonuses etc that the dealership Receives from Porsche.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:25 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DBYT
I was told by a friend who used to, until recently,have a Porsche dealership that on top of the 10% margin on a 911, they have a raft of other profit mechanisms, including holdback, quota bonuses etc that the dealership Receives from Porsche.
there is def a lot of money hidden.. when i bought my 09 new their was extra money left and right from porsche they were knocking off to sell the car.. they even got extra money for taking a car that was sitting at port (when there was a surplus of cars) they got paid for customer retention (porsche to a porsche) and a couple other things that i heard them talking about.. the 10% off the car, and 15% off the parts is just to show an invoice price i think for people to feel like they got a good deal.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:37 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by DBYT
Based on the small number of sales at my local Porsche Dealer, they would almost have to get extra money just to stay in business. The showroom looks fantastic and there's no doubt that it cost them a great deal of money to build, but I just don't see many cars being sold from either their new or used inventory. So they have to be getting money from somewhere, and it sure isn't from volume sales.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:10 AM
DBYT
Pro

I have heard that Export sales are another big money earner for dealers but they are not technically supposed to export any new stock...
Old 08-26-2012, 12:20 PM
toplabels
Instructor

This charge is very strange. I have bought a whole lot of cars through the years and yes dealers will try stuff to get money from you, but flat out charge $3k just like that....I dont know about that. If you are in fact getting charged this amount I would not pay that in a million years no matter how much I wanted a car.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:10 PM
abruno222
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The math on your deal should be very simple. You say they spent an hour going through the numbers until your where satisfied. And you received the 6% discount you negotiated.
Take the window sticker price deduct 6% and thats what you should be paying before any taxes or dealership fees usually there is a Doc. Fee. Plate fee and inspection sticker fee. The Documentation fee is pure profit it goes directly to the bottom line. Up to you if you want to fight that.
Hold back or ( dealer profit ) should not have been written anywhere on your agreement..if they did and want you to pay it I would walk....
By the way you can demand to have the invoice printed on your vehicle and they will print it for you. Any dealer that is up front will print it for you in a minute.. Others will dance dance dance....
That documents discloses it all for you..
Generally once a new car is reported to Porcshe holdback is paid to the dealer either immediatley or quarterly.
I hope it worked out for you and wish you the best...
Old 08-26-2012, 10:14 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Walk away. You'll remember getting screwed every time you get in the car.
Agreed. It poisons the deal, and the dealer. Forget them both.

But if you want the car, now that they're saying a deal is not a deal, you should adjust your offer to $3K below sticker, which is about where it should be in this market. Personally, i'm waiting for the 4S Targa with Power Kit -- I think that's the pick of the litter and once we know the delta to the GT3, all the current 991's go down a peg or three.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:05 AM
MAHack
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

Went with a friend to look at the local Subaru dealer. EVERY car on the lot, on the window sticker, had $1500 "market adjustment" added by the dealer to the MSRP. I asked the salesman what the extra cost was all about and he said, "um...well, that just gives us some extra negotiating room, since most customers will be given $500 - 1000 off sticker." Hahah

So I said...Let me get this right...You ADD to the MSRP, then negotiate DOWN and still sell for more than MSRP?! He said "yes." So we left.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:21 PM
7SPEED991
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure I understand this thread...Has everyone's dealership experience been so bad as to refer to their place of business as a "stealership"? Why is it acceptable for a business outside the automotive industry to make a profit but not delaerships. No other industry has invoice pricing all over the internet for consumers to look at. Did anyone know how much their ipod cost Apple to manufacture before you bought it or your home. How much profit did you builder or seller make? Not all dealerships are honest as in this case, but it is up to us as consumers to do business with people we trust. I took delivery of my 991 Friday and have been smiling ever since. I know my dealer made a profit on the sale but i'm happy with it. My salesman took the time to educate me about the product and helped me decide what options would fit my needs. He always kept me updated about the progress of my car and spent an hour and a half delivering it to me. I had a great experience, one worth paying for. The enjoyment I get from driving these cars is priceless. My 2 cents

Quick Reply: Extra Dealer Profit....WHAT!!