991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On the Wisdom of Owning a Modern Porsche

Old 09-05-2012, 01:31 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not wait a year? Let the car get some history behind vis a vis maintenance cost, and then buy a low mileage used one. Let someone else take the depreciation hit if you are going to pay cash. Put the savings in a maintenance fund or really good extended warranty.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:26 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by rpilot
Now if you are fully familiar with reading fault codes(the easy part) and able to work through a diagnostic with enough specific knowledge of the vehicle and then order and replace the right parts, more power to you and I respect it. I, however am not and I suspect the OP and the folks posting follow up questions are either.
$20 bluetooth OBDII + smartphone = fast and furious quality diagnostics in the palm of your hand. Codes + watching real-time O2 or fuel trim data, etc, tells a lot, plus the internet is a fantastic resource for troubleshooting. Google searching your symptoms makes this fairly easy.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:51 PM
SiNi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Service interval for 991 specified in UK is 2 years or 20k miles. Also, there is an option to extend the warranty for up to 10 years. I think that's pretty amazing! I agree with others that if you buy from new (passion over fiscal prudence!) the main cost of ownership is depreciation. So use it, use it, use it!
Old 09-05-2012, 09:24 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My experience must be way out of the norm, because with the eight 911's I have owned, nothing has ever broken. This is not to say that I haven't spent loads of money on them, but they didn't break. The 997.2 and 991, I suppose shouldn't count, and my 993tt had a top end job done by the seller at 24,000 miles. I did spend $6,500 on parts while it was apart that, I was advised by the 993tt forum, were likely to fail. Do prophylactic repairs count as repairs? If they do then since 1989, when I bought my first 911, I have spent $6,500 on repairs. In 23 yrs that's under $300 per yr.in repairs. They were each daily drivers, except the 89' turbo cab which caused me to sweat a quart through my palms whenever I drove it. I still drove it 12,000 miles in the year and a half I owned it. So I think they are as dependable as anvils. The reason they are not cheap to own for most of us is because: you fall in love and want to spend money on "upgrades", some of which aren't. Or, even though these cars are fast as hell and handle beautifully, we need to make them faster and handle even
better. I do worry that these newer cars with their electronic controls could get really expensive if those electronics fail. With that said, I bought a stereo from radio shack 40 years ago that is still going strong out in the garage.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:09 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Anyone planning to be at Great Falls Cars N Coffee on Sat? if so see you there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: On the Wisdom of Owning a Modern Porsche