Sponsored by:

On the Wisdom of Owning a Modern Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 09:52 PM
Jason Sewell
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On the Wisdom of Owning a Modern Porsche

A few days ago I accidentally posted to the air-cooled 911 forum about my intention to eventually acquire a 991. As expected, a discussion followed in which various opinions were presented for and against ownership of a water cooled Porsche.

I know this debate has been hashed out ad nauseum, and I don't wish to reignite it here.

But one of the points made concerned the maintenance and upkeep of the newer 911s. I have to admit, my experience with modern German cars hasn't been entirely pleasant. It's not just the lack of reliability per se, but rather the technological complexity and expense involved when the inevitable problems occur. For example, replacing the starter motor on my Touareg required the complete removal of the engine and transmission. A repair that I would have ordinarily been able to effect myself for a few hundred dollars in parts was suddenly many thousands of dollars in labor alone.

I know that owning a Porsche is bound to be an expensive proposition. But I worry that long-term owners of these cars may quickly face the day when their maintenance costs exceed their worth. I understand that this eventually happens with any car that depreciates in value, but it seems that it could happen to a modern Porsche much too quickly.

Previously, I have mitigated this risk by either leasing the vehicle, or selling it prior to the warranty expiration. But since I intend to purchase my 991 cash, and use it as my daily driver, I'd like to get many years of service before the maintenance costs kill me.

I guess what I'm really wondering is if anyone has any idea on the long-term total-cost-of-ownership of a 991 or Porsche of similar complexity? Having to spend a few hundred dollars a month amortized across a decade of maintenance is one thing, but having to essentially buy the car twice because of expensive, catastrophic failures may be too much to bear.

Do any other owners have a similar concern, or am I over-thinking what should essentially be an emotional decision.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:12 PM
wanderingwheelz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All modern cars are complicated. If its a Porsche you want, I see no reason to avoid it over the unforeseen. If you stay on top of the routine maintenance the chances of major mechanical failures are actually quite low vs. most other brands of cars.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:16 PM
WCE
User

Received 176 Likes on 85 Posts

Porsche maintenance is top dollar, but less of it is required then ever - if you can afford the car I wouldn't sweat the potential post warranty maintenance.
If you're very risk adverse, and it sounds like you are, extended warranties are available.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:32 AM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the OP. I bought a 63 Corvette in 1963 for $3900 drove it for 15 years and sold it for twice what I paid for it. I bought a 99 996 cab new for $90k drove it for 12 years and got only $20k for trade in on 2012 997 cab. One reason I got rid of it was if 996 motor blew it would take what car was worth to fix it! The longer I kept it the worse this senareo would become.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:58 AM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Enjoy your new 991, they are great fun. I do simple stuff like brakes and oil changes, and know that other maintenance will be higher than average.

But so is the quality of the experience in owning one.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:01 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Interest rates are zero. Use a 60 month lease product, ample mileage allowance. Forgetaboutit.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:46 AM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My only experience with Porsche has been the '05 997 I've owned. It's a DD and I follow the maintenance religiously. The only problem I've had in about 7 years of ownership is the clock losing a few seconds a month. This has been one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned. I have three other friends that own 997s and they have had very similar experiences. Modern cars are complicated, but they are also a lot more reliable. I did get an extended warranty just to be safe. Cheers.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:01 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,770 Likes on 4,771 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason Sewell
A few days ago I accidentally posted to the air-cooled 911 forum about my intention to eventually acquire a 991. As expected, a discussion followed in which various opinions were presented for and against ownership of a water cooled Porsche.

I know this debate has been hashed out ad nauseum, and I don't wish to reignite it here.

But one of the points made concerned the maintenance and upkeep of the newer 911s. I have to admit, my experience with modern German cars hasn't been entirely pleasant. It's not just the lack of reliability per se, but rather the technological complexity and expense involved when the inevitable problems occur. For example, replacing the starter motor on my Touareg required the complete removal of the engine and transmission. A repair that I would have ordinarily been able to effect myself for a few hundred dollars in parts was suddenly many thousands of dollars in labor alone.

I know that owning a Porsche is bound to be an expensive proposition. But I worry that long-term owners of these cars may quickly face the day when their maintenance costs exceed their worth. I understand that this eventually happens with any car that depreciates in value, but it seems that it could happen to a modern Porsche much too quickly.

Previously, I have mitigated this risk by either leasing the vehicle, or selling it prior to the warranty expiration. But since I intend to purchase my 991 cash, and use it as my daily driver, I'd like to get many years of service before the maintenance costs kill me.

I guess what I'm really wondering is if anyone has any idea on the long-term total-cost-of-ownership of a 991 or Porsche of similar complexity? Having to spend a few hundred dollars a month amortized across a decade of maintenance is one thing, but having to essentially buy the car twice because of expensive, catastrophic failures may be too much to bear.

Do any other owners have a similar concern, or am I over-thinking what should essentially be an emotional decision.
I share your concern (and I just ordered a new 991).

The problems down the road really are not mitigated with an extended warranty (as some have suggested). And it's not even so much the added monetary costs of getting a 991 fixed everytime there is a problem -- either big or small.

It's the paranoia and fear that your car will either act up, or break down, and having to deal with the hassle of getting it fixed -- getting a loaner, taking to the dealer, taking time out of your day, etc.

I bought my car to be a daily driver, not a track queen, so I need it to be reliable.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:25 PM
clembo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

My opinion may differ a bit from others but I would not use a 991 (or most Porsches) as a DD. I absolutely love my 991, it is a much more rewarding car to drive than my 997 but I still don't drive it every day.

If you were to use a 991 as a DD then you should expect to have some heavy costs over the years to keep it going. In my experience, Porsche builds very reliable cars, but they are not cheap to keep on the road. If you don't have the cash to handle the cost, or even if you do but the thought of paying more will make you crazy, don't do it. Owning and driving Porsches should be fun and rewarding experiences, if you are worried about the cost, don't do it. Or get a Honda as a DD, and use the Porsche any time you want to.

If you follow through on getting the 991, I hope you enjoy it as much as most of us do. The car is a blast to drive and is worth the compromises that one needs to make when buying a Porsche.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:38 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

no point paying a tonne of money for a car, and then not using it whenver you want, including daily.

the biggest cost of depreciation is already on the tab, may as well enjoy it.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:57 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I share your concern (and I just ordered a new 991).

The problems down the road really are not mitigated with an extended warranty (as some have suggested). And it's not even so much the added monetary costs of getting a 991 fixed everytime there is a problem -- either big or small.

It's the paranoia and fear that your car will either act up, or break down, and having to deal with the hassle of getting it fixed -- getting a loaner, taking to the dealer, taking time out of your day, etc.

I bought my car to be a daily driver, not a track queen, so I need it to be reliable.

For logistics, note that the service interval on the 991 means very few visits, AAA roadside is better than Porsche (or Mercedes, in my experience) and things like having the car flat-bedded for service can either be pre-negotiated or cost relatively little when done through the dealership (mine are free, but have been as much as $150 per round trip with previous vehicles ... still far better than the proposition of visiting the dealership, waiting or getting a loaner, having to stop and chug gas back into the loaner, etc..)

Break down is less likely, but niggling "version 1.0" quality defects can be an issue, though the 991 seems to be conspicuously free of design flaws ... knock on wood.

I've had more quality problems with my previous 997.2 and 997.1 GT3 than I've had with this 991.1 S. The fuel line thing with the 991 was a worry, but appears to have been nipped in the bud and come to nothing.

My concerns for the 991.1 start to arrive when the second or third owner has all those electronics and sensors and double-trouble motors and controllers out of warranty and after years and miles of dust and vibration, or the less than surgical skills of some dealer techs. It's a car where I'd want CPO and good insurance after the factory warranty expires. It's a car I'll be handing on to the next owner in good conscience and with at least half the warranty to hand on. : )
Old 08-09-2012, 02:58 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

I agree with sfo. The most expensive component of new car ownership is depreciation. The more expensive the car, the more the dollar hit. There may be an exception or two, but I can't think of one. Certain older Porsches, like the 993, have stabilized, or are even going up in value. Some use them as daily drivers, but as the mileage piles up, the value goes down. These cars are wonderful investments but the yield is not dollars, but enjoyment. Good luck.....Chris
Old 08-09-2012, 03:01 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

I used to preserve my Porsches by not driving them except on special occassions (nice days, autocross, drivers ed, etc). After the 4th one, I began to understand that the actual value of a Porsche has nothing to do with $$.

It is the number of smiles it returns over the life of ownership. So, you could park it in your living room and enjoy it daily, in your garage and enjoy it on the way to the car you are going to drive, on occassional nice days, etc, etc.... or, to get max value, just drive it whenever it will make you smile.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:36 PM
Porsche-Jeck
Instructor

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

I bought my car to be a track queen, so I need it to be extra reliable

997.1 GT3: 62 tkm (whereof 35 tkm track) - no prob whatsoever,
987.1 S ( DD) - 120 tkm, water pump replaced.
Can't wait to pick up the 981S as the new DD in a couple of weeks
Old 08-09-2012, 05:01 PM
skinzy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a great thread! Thanks for starting. I share many of the stated concerns. I plan on keeping mine 20 years or when I die which ever happens first. It is my DD but I'm retired and don't drive much. One of the reasons I bought this car was its reliability and classic long term looks. I understand if I have a problem it will cost but thats life and I can afford it. Whats important is I think Porsche wants to build quality cars. They want what we want and do their best to succeed.

Quick Reply: On the Wisdom of Owning a Modern Porsche