Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 911 (base) or 2012 911 GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 11:05 AM
SBPORSCHE
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Love love love my GTS. The fact that it's a special model is an added bonus. I get asked all the time- what's a GTS? The answer you get to give to this questions is great. Well you take a Carrera S which is the faster more powerful version of the 911, and then you..... Having a special porsche to me will increase the amount of time I hold onto it.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:35 AM
q7000
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 991 is better in everything. The PDK is much more refined than 997's, the Sport Exhaust is pure sonic joy (try downshifts and drop throttle). I've driven (not owned all of them though!!!) 996 (Carrera and GT3 RS), 997 (base, S and GTS) and 991 Carrera (base and S)... and the 991 is so good.

And I don't get all this "the GTS is special"... it's a Carrera S with Powerkit, rebranded to make it easier for Porsche to sell 997s at the end of the model cycle.

And regarding 991 base: it is not slow, far from it. Mid range torque isn't even good with "S" (or 997 GTS), IMHO. All people complaining about lack of low and mid range torque should go for an AMG.

For me "ordering brand new 991 with custom options" vs "getting 2 yr old 997 from dealer lot" is a no brainer.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:55 AM
spourreza
Pro

Originally Posted by q7000
The 991 is better in everything. The PDK is much more refined than 997's, the Sport Exhaust is pure sonic joy (try downshifts and drop throttle). I've driven (not owned all of them though!!!) 996 (Carrera and GT3 RS), 997 (base, S and GTS) and 991 Carrera (base and S)... and the 991 is so good.

And I don't get all this "the GTS is special"... it's a Carrera S with Powerkit, rebranded to make it easier for Porsche to sell 997s at the end of the model cycle.

And regarding 991 base: it is not slow, far from it. Mid range torque isn't even good with "S" (or 997 GTS), IMHO. All people complaining about lack of low and mid range torque should go for an AMG.

For me "ordering brand new 991 with custom options" vs "getting 2 yr old 997 from dealer lot" is a no brainer.
+1
Old 06-20-2013, 10:11 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

+2 .. I agree on all accounts !
Old 06-20-2013, 12:52 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

...And I don't get all this "the GTS is special"... it's a Carrera S with Powerkit...
Well, maybe you don't get it because you are misinformed, and those who are quick to "+1" your post may also not know the facts. GTS is not as simple as you state, so lets start with something simple that everyone will recognize as unique to the GTS -
1. GTS is the only 2 wheel drive, normally aspirated, wide-body 997 with 4 seats
2. GTS is the fastest normally aspirated 997 with 4 seats

Other standard features are options on other models (i.e., alcantara interior, etc) but I'll not go into those as we get will get into the micro details.

Others may choose to chime in with other details, but a GTS is special for more significant reasons than the "power kit." And if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the 991, which is a very nice car. I just think we should try to keep the facts clear and correct, particularly on Rennlist.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:49 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 870 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by fbfisher
Well, maybe you don't get it because you are misinformed, and those who are quick to "+1" your post may also not know the facts. GTS is not as simple as you state, so lets start with something simple that everyone will recognize as unique to the GTS -
1. GTS is the only 2 wheel drive, normally aspirated, wide-body 997 with 4 seats

Other standard features are options on other models (i.e., alcantara interior, etc) but I'll not go into those as we get will get into the micro details.

Others may choose to chime in with other details, but a GTS is special for more significant reasons than the "power kit." And if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the 991, which is a very nice car. I just think we should try to keep the facts clear and correct, particularly on Rennlist.
Agreed. I would take a 991S over a GTS - apples to apples spec. But would take a GTS over a base. 408HP, 2WD and widebody - makes it quite nice.

I also dont think there's a significant difference in PDK. I didnt find that at all. Can you be more specific.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:09 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 322 Likes on 194 Posts

mid range torque isn't even good with "S" (or 997 GTS), IMHO. All people complaining about lack of low and mid range torque should go for an AMG.
Both the 991S and 997 GTS will do the quarter mile in less than 12 seconds with PDK without launch control. They have the torque/lb to stay with most Vettes and AMGs to around 120. Beyond that it is academic.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:36 PM
Gruson
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like both but the GTS "feels" faster to me.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:43 AM
Jackson22
Instructor

GTS all the way. Instant classic!
Old 06-21-2013, 05:07 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by fbfisher

Don't think our opinion stems from us not being well informed. Trust me, we know exactly what the GTS is all about. And this is just an opinion, not trying to be disrespectfull. What adds up for you as "a special car" wit lots of added value, to us, bluntly put, is just a tarted up obsolete platform with little added value and lots of Porsche marketing blabla drizzled on top ! Again, this is just my opinion. You clearly have a different opinion, and that's fine, I respect that. That's what makes this forum valuable.

That being said, don't get me wrong, I think the GTS is a fantastic car. If one of my friends fell in love with it and bought one, I'd be the first to genuinely be happy for him and congratulate him, sit down with him beside it, admire it, chat for hours about it. It's a Porsche for crying out loud, and we are all into Porsches. Maybe here on the forums we tend to polarise ourselves in black and white opinions, sometimes loosing perspective in the process.

But I stand by my opinion, I would never ever take a 997 GTS (or any other 997) over a 991, even if it was a mere lightly optioned base. And I have put my money where my mouth is.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:17 AM
q7000
Track Day

I know the GTS, I've driven it, 2 of my friends own it. Where I live (Germany), it's nothing special because Porsche seemed to produce only GTS and 4GTS in the end and dealer showrooms are still full with them.

Alcantara seats or widebody on 2WD doesn't make much of a difference to me -- and even if I'm into (style) options and details, I'd prefer the 991 features like e.g. glass roof, black or LED headlights etc

The 997 GTS is a great car, but it's no GT3, not a "classic" or collectible, IMHO. It's the latest evolution of the 997 Carrera. But the 991 is on the market for 2 yrs now, and really does everything better.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:11 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
... And I have put my money where my mouth is.
As have I.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:19 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 870 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
Don't think our opinion stems from us not being well informed. Trust me, we know exactly what the GTS is all about. And this is just an opinion, not trying to be disrespectfull. What adds up for you as "a special car" wit lots of added value, to us, bluntly put, is just a tarted up obsolete platform with little added value and lots of Porsche marketing blabla drizzled on top ! Again, this is just my opinion. You clearly have a different opinion, and that's fine, I respect that. That's what makes this forum valuable.

Who are the we and us that you are representing

Tarted up and obsolete - hmm. Nuff said.

For me, give me the better looking, 408HP, Wide bodied, faster, edgier car, more special car vs. a one of 30,000 bases in the world.

Now if you came with a 50th anni - which is also tarted up and obsolete - (the 991 is so 2012) - I'd take that in a second.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:40 PM
Jackson22
Instructor

Originally Posted by rodsky

For me, give me the better looking, 408HP, Wide bodied, faster, edgier car, more special car vs. a one of 30,000 bases in the world.

Now if you came with a 50th anni - which is also tarted up and obsolete - (the 991 is so 2012) - I'd take that in a second.

I agree. IMHO, the GTS is so much better looking than a 991 that it's not even close. A couple of guys I work with have the 991 and I park next to them, and as I walk out to the cars every night (from the back), my 4GTS looks so much more aggressive and classic (a fact they both readily admit but focus on the technical advantages of the 991). Frankly, for me, I don't care about an extra 3 seconds racing around a track. The GTS is the bomb. For guys who say it's obsolete and will not be a classic, take a poll and find out how many 1998 Carrera 4S (993) owners would trade in their car for a 1999 S (996); or ask how many 1989 930 owners would trade in their car for a 964. As history has proven, newer isn't necessarily better when it comes to Porsches...I disagree with the "buy the newest one you can afford" philosophy. My view is "buy the best model of the best type you can afford." For me, that's the 4GTS for the reasons we've all discussed. That said, I respect everyone else's opinion and this is only my view.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:44 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

+1. Wondering the same about the "we" and "us."

Originally Posted by rodsky

Quick Reply: 2013 911 (base) or 2012 911 GTS?